No announcement yet.

Calling all Tae Kwon Do Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. It was kinda the same for me and my TKD teacher, who is also a close friend of mine, when we went to study Judo for awhile.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

Agreed, agreed, and agreed again.
      "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

depends on the school's focus, a good balance between sport sparring and realistic stuff is good, sport sparring makes you stronger, faster, and develops a good sense of distance and timing, kinda sucks wtf doesnt score punches, i landed 2 hooks over the weekend that knocked down the guy who hit me with these axe kicks that barely moved my head, but he got the points, i didnt get shit. But overall I think it forces you to understand the kicking range alot better, and once a tkd person peaks in terms of sport in 5,6 yrs they usually get around to more practical stuff, with some very strong fluid kicks and experience in the leg game, so it's not bad. As for adapting the sport to be more "realistic", i think the sport's fun and unique enough to remain more or less the same, it just depends on whether you wanna be an athlete or a martial artist, or both...

Comment

I trained in Karate and the Jhoon Rhee system of TKD, a very "Americanized" version of TKD if you will. Jhoon Rhee style is very much into Sport Karate and Forms in particular but the basic techniques of the system lend themselves very well to Kickboxing and crosstraining in MT.

My advice is for you to learn the basic kicks and stances of TKD (I'd imagine up to green or purple would be enough) then quit and learn Boxing/Kickboxing/MT. (Then also go for your black belt in BJJ. You should master something).

As you fight full contact, you will see for yourself what will work and what will not. Your hand techniques will be better also. Don't just train in point fighting, WTF fighting...you need the full contact.

You need just a few kicks front, side, round, back, spinning side, MT round, MT low...Maybe the axe kick as well...

If you didn't read the above: Take Kickboxing/MT and crosstrain in grappling Judo, BJJ, Catch Wrestling, etc.

Comment

blankslate: umm....with your advice, i honestly don't see the point in training in tkd at all.

osiris: agreed x 3

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaverickZ
              [B]blankslate: umm....with your advice, i honestly don't see the point in training in tkd at all.

You catch on quick. Kickboxing/MT it is!!

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                [B]At green belt in TKD a lot of people cant even do a proper roundhouse. B]
                unless said green belt was previously train in something else and was just checking tkd out to see what it was about
                ~Whatever Happens, Happens.~

~From this moment on, I shall be known as "He Who Smokes Bitches"~

Comment

Is the Pizzdoff the only other guy out here who thinks WTF is the most hilarious acronym for a martialart outside of SCARS?
                  Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Well considering that, brasilian jujutsu should have the acronym: BJ and not BJJ....

Comment

osiris, what about the rest of us 1st degrees who have been training for a long time but never bothered to test? like my instructor, who has been training for 30+ years and still only holds a first degree?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blankslate
                        [B]
                        Originally posted by MaverickZ
                        blankslate: umm....with your advice, i honestly don't see the point in training in tkd at all.

You catch on quick. Kickboxing/MT it is!!
                        that's what we call...stealth tkd bashing ;)

Comment

That's why the organization is call 'What The Fuck?'
                          Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

My master must suck? My master was a three time world champion and a two time olympic gold medalist(not for TKD though.) He is just old.
                            Brendayan
                            Fury's Edge
                            Morell-Thule

Comment

And as far as TKD sparring goes, I was a badass. I was a green belt whomping on everyone at the school. And I never did beat my master, I said ALMOST.
                              Brendayan
                              Fury's Edge
                              Morell-Thule

Comment

Not necessarily, from my experience every TKD school has a different belt system (go figure.)

We had White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red, Black. What did you have?
                                Brendayan
                                Fury's Edge
                                Morell-Thule

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X