Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moral Sense Test

http://wjh1.wjh.harvard.edu/~moral/learn.html

Over the past twenty years, there has been growing evidence for a universally shared moral faculty based on findings in evolutionary biology, cognitive psychology, anthropology, economics, linguistics, and neurobiology. This evidence has created a powerful movement directed at the core aspects of human nature. It is a movement that has the power to reshape our lives by uncovering the deep structure of our moral intuitions and showing how they can either support or conflict with our conscious, often legally supported decisions

These days has been some debate about the weight of "moral issues" in the results of the presidential election.

Some people thinks morality is founded in experience and education while others believe morality as something instinctive/natural-born.

For instance:

Gay marriage a) is morally acceptable/unaceptable because you have been teached so? or b) you perceive it's acceptable/unacceptable instinctively or as a natural reaction?

The test: http://wjh1.wjh.harvard.edu/~moral/test.html

This test's conclusion will never work, based on the premise that, if someone thinks gay marriage is unnatural, the only natural (and true) finds that this test could yield is the same way of thinking.
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

The test isn't about gay marriage.

Comment

Those situations were ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Dai-Tenshi
          Those situations were ridiculous.
          It's Harvard. What you expected?

Comment

I suppose creativity and common sense are a bit much to ask from the Ivy League...
            Last edited by Stick; 11/08/2004 10:26am, .

Comment

I took the test. It was interesting to say the least.

Comment

I took 2/3 before giving up. It's incredible utilitarian in view, takes no account in for shades of gray, you either sacrifice singles to save masses or you don't. It also have an issue with not donating to charity, but then saving the life of an injured man. I also noted a bit of a racist streak to their questions.
                "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
                -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
                -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
                -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                -Don Gwinn

Comment

I can't believe it asked for 150 words to justify conflicting answers! What a pain in the ass. Also, way to many questions on the same damn thing.
                  Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
                  Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

It's easy. People on the tracks are responsible for their own actions placing them there. You have no moral right to interfere.

Comment

First you need to agree on what consitutes Morals, Ethics and such.
                      Then you need to find out WHY anyone would take a test like this.
                      Then you would need to find out what role the "environment" plays into it.
                      Then you need to figure out how gender efects it.
                      And so on, and so on...
                      The you need to take all the results, roll them around some nice "maryjane", and smoke up, cause no one gives a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
                        First you need to agree on what consitutes Morals, Ethics and such.
                        Then you need to find out WHY anyone would take a test like this.
                        Then you would need to find out what role the "environment" plays into it.
                        Then you need to figure out how gender efects it.
                        And so on, and so on...
                        The you need to take all the results, roll them around some nice "maryjane", and smoke up, cause no one gives a shit.
                        Ex-bloody-actly.

Fuck the stick men, anyway. The creators of that test have a moral obligation to draw better frickin' pictures. Would they draw better pictures if we put the test's creators on a railway track with steep sides, then drove a train straight at them?
                        Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
                        Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

Originally posted by Matsufubu
                          Also, way to many questions on the same damn thing.

The goal is to catch conradictions in your philosophy. But it takes the view that 5>1 and fails to see the difference between you purposely killing someone to save other lives, and you choosing whether a smaller group dies as opposed to a larger group.

Pure utilitarian.
                          "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
                          -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
                          -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
                          -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
                          -Don Gwinn

Comment

I noted that in many situations either action (or inaction) would have been morally acceptable.
                            People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Comment

If 5 pr0n goddesses were on one train track and a homeless guy was on the other...

kinda muddies the waters a little, don't it?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X