Martial Arts books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial Arts books

Can you recommend any books about your style, or alternatively tell us which books you wish you'd never bought.

For Wado- Ryu I'd recommend two books by Shingo Ohgami, 'Karate katas of Wado-Ryu' and 'introduction to karate'. For a good read try 'Angry white pyjamas' by Robert Twigger.

The first half of Ken Shamrock's book (Inside the Lion's Den) is horrible. The last half has some really good submission stuff, though, so try and get it half-price if you can.

The Renzo and Royler Gracie book (Theory and Practice of Brazilian Jui Jitsu) is pretty good. Kind of expensive.

Gene LeBell has some great grappling books out there but can't remember the exact titles.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Comment

Well I really like the anatomy books (especially on skeleton and human body structures). Here is one of my other quote "The better you know how it was built, the easier it will be for you to break it down". I also like books by Don Paul and Robert Young Pelton (not much about martial arts, but it can save your ass BIG time). I am not big into martial arts books, only martial arts books I really have is either a biography or cultural stuff. If you want to know the history of martial arts I would suggest "Military hands to hand combat history". If you want a books that show you how to fights then get military manual (it is simple but effective and probably battle tested). Also don't pass up the books on europe medieval peroid hands to hands combat they are VERY realistic, useful, and effective (I will try find the title and post it when I find it).

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
      I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

Well I really like the anatomy books (especially on skeleton and human body structures). Here is one of my other quote "The better you know how it was built, the easier it will be for you to break it down". I also like books by Don Paul and Robert Young Pelton (not much about martial arts, but it can save your ass BIG time). I am not big into martial arts books, only martial arts books I really have is either a biography or cultural stuff. If you want to know the history of martial arts I would suggest "Military hands to hand combat history". If you want a books that show you how to fights then get military manual (it is simple but effective and probably battle tested). Also don't pass up the books on europe medieval peroid hands to hands combat they are VERY realistic, useful, and effective (I will try find the title and post it when I find it).

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
        I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

DAMN!! Why does my post got posted twice so often?

Comment

On Aikido, anything by O Sensei Ueshiba, Tohei Sensei, Shioda Sensei and my favourite Aikido and the Dynamic sphere.

On Judo,Kodokan Judo, any of the master class series of books published by Ippon and Geoff Tompsons book.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
            those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
            Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Comment

I just bought the BJJ Self-Defense book. Some okay stuff, although there's an unacceptable amount of ridiculous techniques for such a high-profile book. I mean, half the time you're screaming "Just PUNCH the damn guy!", but then remember your hand would shatter like a fabrege egg upon impact because everyone knows BJJ made punching obsolete.

who are you other than some PEA in a POD! go take a karate class you DYKE!

--Jamoke
              Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

I think part of the reason that got started is that early on BJJ really had to prove itself. Because of this they were willing to try using it solely to defeat their opponents and would claim that it "could" be done. Eventually, people began to catch on, and now I think it's time to let it go. Which I think most BJJ people have.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
                Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the fuck I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Comment

I've known quite a few BJJ guys and trust me, they are very flexible about picking up outside techniques, especially striking. BJJ is a very fighting-oriented art and will look for anything new that allows them to whip up on other people. The Cesar Gracie guys that The Wastrel trains with are prime examples of that.
                  "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
                  "Shadow Box"

Comment

If I was to recommend one book on Wing Chun/applicable to any martial art it would be Beyond The Pointing Finger by David Peterson.

Comment

If you can find Dan Inosanto's older books (tough, these days), those ROCK. I particularily like the one about "Training With Martial Arts Equipment".

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
                      Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

JKDChick, quick question, have you ever read the JKD conditioning and grappling book by some guy named Hartsell? I was in Barnes and Noble and was looking at the grappling parts in it and, to be perfectly honest, they kind of sucked. There were some good techniques but for every good one there were 10 shitty ones. Just checking to see if you know anything about that material.

- George Plimpton
                        "Shadow Box"

Comment

greg jones has two excellent books on KFSS. one is called Sudden Violence, and the other is called Predator Training.

Comment

Marc "Animal" MacYoung has got some primo reads.

Geoff Thompson is outstanding.

Tony Blauer's PDR Manual- yes please !

Anything by John B Will at www.bjj.com.au

Patrick McCarthy's books are good reading, if not a little too wordy.

Anything on the Straighblastgym.com website archives.

that should keepya bizzy for five minutes....

mike

Comment

Not really any books on the style I study. The closest thing is more of a biography of my sensei, with some example techniques listed, and plenty of insight.

Essence of Ninjutsu was great, of course (not so sure about "Ninjutsu: History and Tradition"). I'm a little ashamed to say I just recently read it.

I was highly disappointed in Brazilian Self-Defense Jiu-Jitsu. Some of it was decent, but there were numerous problems with the philosophy of much of the book (that's not including the techniques). "Get out of the headlack and back into your fighting stance." Buy why? I am right next to this guy and he is trying to figure out what to do with me (if he's not punching me). That's just one aspect.

I got a book called "Police Kung Fu" which is apparently based off of Wing Chun techniques. As with the above, some of it was good, but there was a portion of it I really had to question in some places.

I'm sure on some planet your style is quite impressive, but your weak link is: This is Earth.

Edited by - tenguatemypuppy on January 23 2003 04:58:08

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X