Wrestling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrestling

Can wrestling be used for self defense just as effectively as when you are young as you would when you are older? What are some styles of wrestling that doesnt deteriorate with age? Are there specific techniques? What do others think?

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Hmm... many old people studies judo. Also a good techniques that doesn't require much practice is "monkey steal the peach" :-)

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

I don't think wrestling is one of those styles that you stay good at when you're older, unless you're one of those physically-fit old guys like that Juiceman dude from the infomercials.

When I wrestled in HS, you had to be at least equally strong as your opponent for it to boil down to technique. If your strength or endurance wasn't up to par, you got muscled or worn out and pinned. Certainly, an older person wouldn't be able to match the average mugger strength vs. strength, but that's not to say he could use a wrestling technique here or there to create a chance to escape or do something else.

-------------------------
      Clap your hands everybody,
      if you got what it takes
      'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow
      and I want you to know
      that these are the breaks!
      "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

Well I would have to agree with you about hs wrestling. When I was on team, I was WAY stronger than average person because I would do physical training in ROTC many time a week then after school go and spin a 15 lbs rifle for a hour then go and do whole two hours of wrestling practice. My record was 14 win and 2 loss.
        However I believe you made some mistake at beginning, old people can actually be good at some kind of wrestling such as Judo. One of my ROTC teacher is little over 55 and he have black belt in judo and I would be afaird to challenge him (he is TOUGH!). Also judo can trick a opponent and throw them across room easily. However I would suggest to add in some pressure points for if you have to go against stronger opponent. That is what I probably would do.

"I would rather to admit I am a lousy student instead of saying I am the best student because once you thinks you are the best, you see no reason to continue learning"
        I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

Fatality Dragon in college???? Boy I guess anyone can go to college these days and you want to work for the government??? You should fit right in!!!

VAN

Comment

I don't want to work for government at all. I want to be self empolyer... and sell my service.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."

Comment

From wrestling your entire life your body becomes STRONG. Look at Randy Couture and Dan Severn. You don't see anyone their age using karate under full contact rules do you? Wrestlers are in some of the best shape of any athletes in the world.
              "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Yes wrestler probably train much harder than any other athletes. I was on football team for college for short time before quit and the practice just basically make you sweat but that is it. However I notices that many wrestler have problem with joints when they get older, so here is a advice to all wrestler, TAKE CARE OF YOUR JOINTS! EVEN IF IT HURT JUST A BIT!!

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."

Comment

I guess wresting would make you look good even as you get older after all. That conditioning must do wonder for your body.
                  Judo sounds like a good form of wrestling even as you get older. I wonder about sambo and shuai jiao though?? Do those deteoriate with age??
                  I dont think non of us wants self defense techniques that we cant use even as we age. I think BJJ could also be used when you get older as well.

PEACE!
                  Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Yes become a HS homosexual wrestler with ring worm and colly flower ears to boot.

Mmmmm so attractive lol. Showering with other men in HS is what led me away from participating in any sports in HS.
                    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Comment

Wow, Carbon, that is so funny and original. Wrestlers must be gay because they wrestle! I've never heard that before. Seriously, you could make money being that funny. How do think up material that fresh? Gay wrestlers, what a riot! Haha!
                      "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
                      "Shadow Box"

Comment

He's just jealous because a regular H.S. wrestler would throw him down and beat him to pudding with minimal effort.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Naw, wrestlers don't beat people to pudding, we just go for the rear mount and corn-hole 'em, 'Deliverance'-style. Muahahahaha! So you better watch your 'ass', Carbon ('watch your ass', I crack myself up sometimes).

Edited by - Vargas on January 20 2003 11:48:58
                          "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
                          "Shadow Box"

Comment

Dont tell him THAT! If he thinks that a wrestler will cornhole him he's going to try and start a fight with any guy in tights he sees and hope he gets rearmounted......

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Too funny PeeDee! Hilarious!

PEACE!
                              Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X