Rattan lifespan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattan lifespan?

This Kali newb has just bought his very first pair of rattan (20 euro, so about $30) and saw very small chips fly all over the place while using them in training (I've bought them at the gym itself, so I hadn't yet had the time to tape them.).

So, I was wondering what the average lifespan is of a pair of rattan and if, besides the taping, there are other household tricks to increase said lifespan.

this guy makes sticks that last WAY longer than rattan

http://www.stickman-escrima.com/products.htm
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
      this guy makes sticks that last WAY longer than rattan
      They'll cost me waaaaay more then a pair of rattan, though, as shipping costs + our over-eager customs department will drive up the total cost to near-insane levels.

Comment

Well, it depends of how hard you bang'em. Taped, they last me about 3-6 months.
        Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Few months to a year. Ish.
          Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

Originally posted by Geijhan
            They'll cost me waaaaay more then a pair of rattan, though, as shipping costs + our over-eager customs department will drive up the total cost to near-insane levels.
            my philosophy about gear is to spend the money on gear that will last longer whenever it will last signifigantly longer than the cheaper alternative. <shrug> that being said i don't always buy the most expensive option, just when i think it will cost less to buy the expensive item than to buy several of the cheaper items over time.

my guess would be a set of stickman's sticks would last a few years. rattan is going to last 3 months to 1 year depending on use, and the quality of the rattan.

another reason i like the stickman products is that i'm not a big fan of getting rattan chips in my eyes.
            "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
            "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
            "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
            "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

you dont want to go with the heavy, or exotic sticks in training b/c you'll either ruin them or ruin everyone elses sticks.

with training sticks dont go smaller than a 1" inch diameter. They should last a while, when they start to chip and fray use duct tape.

bloodsport.com has a wide variety of sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by gojuJKDdude
                bloodsport.com has a wide variety of sticks.
                I second this motion. I've bought alot of shit from Nick's site. Good stuff.
                "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Comment

I get all my sticks from the fuckin' lumber yard!

Oak pwns rattan :violent5:
                  “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

If you want sticks that last longer get Indonesian rattan instead of Fillipino rattan. They last alot longer. I've had a pair of Indo rattan sticks for two years now.
                    Originally posted by Canuckyokushin
                    I would so do Buttsecks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
                      I get all my sticks from the fuckin' lumber yard!

Oak pwns rattan :violent5:
                      In the original DB tapes (#6), there's a clip where rattan breaks oak...a convincing argument for rattan IMO. Nick's sticks (bloodsport.com) are VERY good, and will last you about the longest of any rattan I've had experience with so far. I've heard good things about Stickman's composites, but have never used them.
                      Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
                        my philosophy about gear is to spend the money on gear that will last longer whenever it will last signifigantly longer than the cheaper alternative. <shrug> that being said i don't always buy the most expensive option, just when i think it will cost less to buy the expensive item than to buy several of the cheaper items over time.
                        I don't disagree with that idea at all but not knowing the average lifespan of either, it's hard to calculate the cost over time. Seeing as getting some of stickmans eh sticks will cost me about 4 times as much as a pair of rattan, being able to make that calculation starts to be somewhat important.

my guess would be a set of stickman's sticks would last a few years. rattan is going to last 3 months to 1 year depending on use, and the quality of the rattan.
                        This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the information.

another reason i like the stickman products is that i'm not a big fan of getting rattan chips in my eyes.
                        Isn't that a non-issue if you tape them up, though?

Comment

yeah, as far as i know, stickman sticks can put up with an insane amount of abuse, i honestly don't think the solid ones will break ever, but said a couple years just to be conservative.

one thing, if you do get stickman sticks, get enough of them that your partner is using them as well. i say this cause they are much denser than rattan, and i have had a rattan stick bounce right off of mine (right back into my partner's face.) not nice.

as far as taping goes... almost all our rattan sticks are taped at my school but i figured that was cause we are too poor to buy new sticks, i didn't know it was common practice. yes it does stop the rattan splinters from getting in your eyes. in fact it was seeing and working with those ghetto-ass cracked and taped sticks that made me order a pair of the stickman ones.

Comment

Typical 1" sticks last me about 1-1.5 months, but I really love that burning smell they get with you go hard with somebody, so as with all things, it all depends on how much abuse you put them through. (and at 30 bucks, it sounds like you're getting ripped off)

Comment

Originally posted by Macistani
                              (and at 30 bucks, it sounds like you're getting ripped off)
                              I wish, then I could look around here for a better deal. :icon_rr:

It's more a matter of those things being import and the price not being adjusted to the rising euro. So where it cost 20 euro when that meant 18 dollar, it also costs 20 euro now that that's closer to 30 bucks.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X