In View of the Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In View of the Facts

When you consider that Germany began its Atomic/Nuclear research in 1933, with the hope of creating a powerful weapon, and had plans to drop a bomb on Washington D.C. in the mid 1940's.

And that they sent their Atomic/Nuclear research to their fellow members of the Axis, Japan, aboard a U-Boat that was recovered by the U.S. Armed forces.

And that Japan had plans to attack San Francisco with an Atomic/Nuclear device in the same time frame that we dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Would you still consider our actions in Hiroshima and Nagasaki as unwarranted? Or an act of terrorism, as others have described it. Or do you think that we were lucky to be the first to come up with a reliable means of delivery of such a device, even though we were far behind when we first began working on Atomic/Nuclear weapons.
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne

yes.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Yes to which part ??

Comment

Re: In View of the Facts

This part.

Originally posted by Bolverk
        do you think that we were lucky to be the first to come up with a reliable means of delivery of such a device, even though we were far behind when we first began working on Atomic/Nuclear weapons.
        “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

When the bombs were deployed, Germany had already surrendered and Japan was in no position to use an atomic weapon from across the ocean. I still say it was overkill.
          Originally posted by The Wastrel
          I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I don't think there is anyone that argues, NOW, that it was overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Shumagorath
              When the bombs were deployed, Germany had already surrendered and Japan was in no position to use an atomic weapon from across the ocean. I still say it was overkill.
              Spoken by the guy who whips out huge.jpg at the drop of a hat. The internet equivalent of the H-bomb on similarly defenseless idiots!

Comment

it was still a terroristic act against civilians in a country that actually was about to surrender anyways.

"he wanted to steal my sucker so i was allowed to steal his"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mantis
                  Spoken by the guy who whips out huge.jpg at the drop of a hat. The internet equivalent of the H-bomb on similarly defenseless idiots!
                  I have used it twice, and one of those was a Matthius100 thread. Besides, that is NOT my H-Bomb, only area denial. If I went nuclear it would make the stuff in NHB look like a Disney movie.
                  Originally posted by The Wastrel
                  I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I'm not a history major, but the situation with Japan near the end of the war was a lot like (forgive this hellishly cheezy comparison) a guy in the ring who refuses to tap even though you've already got him knee-barred and screaming in pain. To finish the war we HAD to make Japan submit but they just weren't going to. Our only alternative was a ground invasion which would have cost just as many, maybe more lives. Hirohito also had the opportunity to surrender after Hiroshima but he didn't, which I think says a lot about his regard for his own people at the time.

So the pressure was on, Japan refused to tap and since a total victory was the only acceptable outcome of the time, their metaphorical knee got popped. Even though the guy would have tapped if he had any common sense, we're the ones who fucked him up and leaves us looking pretty bad. It's a lose-lose situation of the most terrible kind but I don't know how things could have been done any better in that situation. In retrospect it was pretty barbaric of us, but it was also pretty barbaric of Japan not to accept defeat when they should have and thereby prevented the need for Fat Man ever hitting the ground.

And to tell the truth if those bombs hadn't been dropped I don't know if the civilized countries of the world would have the respect/fear of nuclear armaments that we have today. But I'm just a HS grad so anyone who can find holes in my position is of course free to.

Comment

Would you still consider our actions in Hiroshima and Nagasaki as unwarranted? Or an act of terrorism, as others have described it. Or do you think that we were lucky to be the first to come up with a reliable means of delivery of such a device, even though we were far behind when we first began working on Atomic/Nuclear weapons.
                      i want to add: the real work on basically EVERYTHING there was done by german scientists. you know they(teh 3vil us) took every good german scientist and made them work for them? americans themselves are too stupid for that kind of things

Comment

yeah, had nothign to do with the fact that german universities were teh center of scientific and mathamatical learning at the time.

Comment

because germany rules

Comment

wrong tense. It ruled. But i forgive, you, english must be hard for inferior races.

Comment

We had to bomb Japan or we would had over a million casulties invading mainland Japan.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X