Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Toronto dudes

Ever had your bike stolen?

When Eric Kamphof moved to Toronto from Edmonton five years ago, he was excited about the restaurants, the nightclubs and life in the big city. Then came the realization he had moved to the bike-theft capital of North America.

Since then, as manager at Curbside Cycle on Bloor Street West, Mr. Kamphof has heard many of the tales behind the 7,000 bikes that are stolen each year in the city -- a rate that puts it ahead of even New York on a per-capita basis.....

Riders have been locked in an arms race with thieves for years, spending ever-increasing amounts on technology designed to secure bikes, only to be overcome by ingenuity and audaciousness.

Thieves have taken up tougher tools, using cordless metal cutters and hydraulic jacks, or chilling the locks with canned Freon, which makes them brittle, and then smashing them with a hammer, according to police and industry experts. Others exploit the weakness of the objects the bikes are locked to -- cutting fences, parking meters or porch rails. Some thieves use cube trucks to haul away entire racks, along with the bikes that are locked to them.
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

My bike is an ugly malfunctioning piece of trash, so no. However, if you chain your bike up in the wrong part of town people will usually just kick the shit out of the wheels.
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

No, not in Toronto, not yet. But then I just moved here about 13 months ago, from Edmonton. But I've had several bikes stoken from me, when I lived in Edmonton. Once when I moved to Edmonton, from Cleveland. It took 2 months for the moving company to deliver my stuff, and then 2 days after the truck arrived, the "local" thieves broken in and stoke my bikes. And then the other time I had a bike stolen at the University of Alberta, where the thieves just drove up in a pickup truck and stole the entire rack of bikes.

And just to let everyone know, in case they didn't already know. Those U-locks, krytonite locks, are useless. I you can open them with a plastic ballpoint pen. All you have to do is jam the plastic cylinder into the keyhole, and then turn.

Comment

Bikes are for pussies.

Comment

Not when they're full suspension mountain bikes, and you actually ride them straight down the Rocky Mountains. But yeah, in Toronto, commuter biking really sucks.

Comment

I can understand biking it in the country ot mountain biking, but in the city ??

Comment

One thing that I do get a big laugh from is all the girls that bike to campus wearing those low rise, hip hugging, yoga pants. Can you say plumber's butt crack.

Comment

Perv ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
                  Pics please ;)
                  Fixed.

Comment

Be careful, a bike will make any butt look great. Very misleading things, bikes.
                    That civilisation may not sink,
                    Its great battle lost,
                    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                    To a distant post;
                    Our master Caesar is in the tent
                    Where the maps are spread,
                    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

And they say I need therapy !

Comment

And you probably do :D, anyways i heard about this bike situation on the radio, pretty nuts. I heard about this one robber who bypassed a security system, and somehow managed to get a bike out of a locked room that was chained to a big square of concrete (or something like that).

Comment

Ninjas stealing bikes !!
                          When will the insanity end ?!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69
                            I can understand biking it in the country ot mountain biking, but in the city ??
                            You ever seen those guys? I'm not sure if it's bravery or stupidity. Either way, I think they are nuts period.
                            :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

Comment

Kryptonite bike lock or a Kensington laptop lock, using only a cheap plastic pen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/17/ny...7296d0b8f67823

And a sample video (of many that are springing up) of a Kryptonite lock being defeated ... vist:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/7796925370303347/

Then click on the link "Click here to watch the video".
                              Now or never.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X