Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you feel is the current popularity level of MMa where you live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you feel is the current popularity level of MMa where you live?

I live in the U.S. and tend to find that very few people even know what MMA is. Whenever I show it to them they are bored and uninterested. What's it like where you live?

Only the cool countries and Canda like MMA.

Comment

Sweet... Canada got props from the Omegameister !!

Comment

No, he made the distinction: There's cool countries, then there's Canada.

To the topic at hand, I'm pretty sure most people in my area have no knowledge of MMA, outside of UFC, though they would not know it as such. Those that do watch UFC on Sunshine (Florida channel) probably have no concept of "MMA" and a boo when it goes to the ground. There have been some local NHB matches though, so there is some MMA movement, but I haven't really experienced much of it yet.
        Last edited by Aesopian; 9/28/2004 2:10pm, .

Comment

It's coming up. It's more of the current middleschool--highschool generations around my area that are getting into it.
          Brendayan
          Fury's Edge
          Morell-Thule

Comment

Since they actually hold MMA events here locally, I think that means it is more popular here than in most places :p

Proof of my claim

Comment

NOTHING around here. seriously.

Comment

We have a local channel that shows UFC weekly here in florida so alot of people have at least have a very basic idea of what MMA is. Sunshine network shows UFC weekly. The do however, show some of the most boring fights on the show.
                "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Comment

No love or real knowledge of MMA in Charleston SC either. Some folks do train in a couple of styles like a karate, and then judo ... but they don't call themselves MMAs or profess to study it. They continue to call themselves Karate-ka and Judo-ka.

Comment

it is really popular around here..... Atl. GA. However, I may have a warped perception since all the people I talk to or hang out with do MAs...

Comment

no, chup is t3h correct... we have a fairly decent MMA set here, with some events, and a few gyms.
                      Locu5
                      combat sports hobbyist

Comment

TSN shows it once in a while at midnight (EST). I think they're still showing the UFC mid-twenties last I saw.
                        Last edited by Transcendent Sunchips; 9/28/2004 3:39pm, .
                        Don Frye doesn't like Sun Chips.

Comment

I wrote a little guide to finding when UFC and martial arts events are playing on TSN:

http://bullshido.net/forums/showthre...689#post412164

Looks like tomorrow we get an hour of board breaking, and weapons and freestyle routines! Whoo! UFC 20 is on at 12:30 at night as well.

Comment

"I live in the U.S. and tend to find that very few people even know what MMA is."
                            Exactly the same in Australia, though most people with cable tv have seen the ufc they dont actually watch it or know whats going on. When I had cable tv I watched it but turned it off because I found the groundfighting boring,

Comment

Next to none the UFC stopped showing here a couple of years ago because of lack of interest.

Pride was never shown here:(

I'm willing to pay for their shwos and dvds...but no luck:(

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X