Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight Blast Gym and Judo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Straight Blast Gym and Judo

    What's up with SBG and Judo in the clinch?

    The SBG seems to favor the "sport/player" arts (MT, KB, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, etc)...but why isn't Judo pushed much as a clinch game on Matt Thornton's videos or the SBG literature? They seem to mainly advise Muay Thai and Greco-Roman wrestling in the clinch. But I can't find much on Judo...

    Thoughts?

    #2
    The Bjj and the wrestling pretty much cover anything that judo could contribute, in regards to the clinch.
    Don't forget, BJJ is just judo with a thong :)

    Comment


      #3
      I havent seen any of the videos you've mentioned, but it could be due simply to personal preference- I prefer Greco to some extent, because you dont have to rely on a jacket. To be fair though, Judo doesnt really need a jacket to execute many of its throws either (yoshida does a pretty fine job without it, though he IS a gold medalist....)

      Comment


        #4
        That was one of my guesses...in fact we did a throw at the seminar where you are already on your back and instead of sweeping the guy you put your feet in his stomach and kind of lift backwards over your head (remember you are flat on your back) and he goes flying. But never was a mention made that was a throw from judo. What's that throw.. stomach throw?

        That was "all the jits game" according to the people there.

        Does Greco have the reaps and trips, etc. or is that considered the BJJ aspect, body lock and trip?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Gumby
          I havent seen any of the videos you've mentioned, but it could be due simply to personal preference- I prefer Greco to some extent, because you dont have to rely on a jacket. To be fair though, Judo doesnt really need a jacket to execute many of its throws either (yoshida does a pretty fine job without it, though he IS a gold medalist....)
          Mark Hatmaker also favors Greco because it does not rely on the gi and its good for the shirtless type of NHB events...but on the street, people generally wear a shirt and/or some type of jacket.

          Last edited by blankslate; 9/27/2004 3:07pm, .

          Comment


            #6
            I wonder if Randy Couture and Dan Henderson have really influenced the SBG to move towards the Greco aspects. Not criticizing but wondering if there was some pros and cons looked at to kind of push towards Greco as the clinch delivery system.

            The SBG in Alabama seems to have MT for standing, Judo for the clinch and BJJ for the ground as far as instruction goes.

            Comment


              #7
              I think their focus is no-gi. So it makes sense.
              You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

              Comment


                #8
                The main reason most people don't use judo in no-gi is because they don't understand the overhook. 90% f my clinch throws come from an overhook which gives you the same throwing leverage as lifting on the gi.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Brad Souders
                  The main reason most people don't use judo in no-gi is because they don't understand the overhook. 90% f my clinch throws come from an overhook which gives you the same throwing leverage as lifting on the gi.
                  Could you explain this "overhook" and the typical judo throws that can result from it?

                  Do I understand correctly that in Greco the "underhook" is the desired position to have on your opponent?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Also, and this is not a slam on SBG, BJJ is far more marketable than Judo and a large component of SBG is marketing. So when you tell people your techniques come from "Jits" and not Judo you are probably appealing to a different audience.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Matt's new FJKD 9 DVD set scheduled for release in 9 to 12 months has an entire section I coached called clinch with cloth followed by jits with hits.

                      Judo has a big influence on the SBGi self-defense approach. Granted , the way we approach it is not bound my Judo's ever increasing rules and regulations so it ends up looking nothing like its sport counter part. Kano is also a huge influence on the gym's emphasis on sport as a vehicle and and its ability to innovate.


                      Check these out for a better view of what I am taliking about.


                      http://www.canadas-best.com/images/ISRPM_clipDSL.wmv


                      http://www.canadas-best.com/images/PAW2_clipDSL.wmv


                      I hope you enjoyed them!


                      -Luis


                      www.straightblastgym.com

                      www.onedragon.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Luis Gutierrez
                        Matt's new FJKD 9 DVD set scheduled for release in 9 to 12 months has an entire section I coached called clinch with cloth followed by jits with hits.

                        Judo has a big influence on the SBGi self-defense approach. Granted , the way we approach it is not bound my Judo's ever increasing rules and regulations so it ends up looking nothing like its sport counter part. Kano is also a huge influence on the gym's emphasis on sport as a vehicle and and its ability to innovate.


                        Check these out for a better view of what I am taliking about.


                        http://www.canadas-best.com/images/ISRPM_clipDSL.wmv


                        http://www.canadas-best.com/images/PAW2_clipDSL.wmv


                        I hope you enjoyed them!


                        -Luis


                        www.straightblastgym.com

                        www.onedragon.com
                        Luis,

                        One dragon your school? I see a 954 number in there, where are you located? I live in Delray Beach.
                        Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                        "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

                        Comment


                          #13
                          9117 Taft Street in Pembroke Pines

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Luis Gutierrez
                            Matt's new FJKD 9 DVD set scheduled for release in 9 to 12 months has an entire section I coached called clinch with cloth followed by jits with hits.

                            Judo has a big influence on the SBGi self-defense approach. Granted , the way we approach it is not bound my Judo's ever increasing rules and regulations so it ends up looking nothing like its sport counter part. Kano is also a huge influence on the gym's emphasis on sport as a vehicle and and its ability to innovate.


                            Check these out for a better view of what I am taliking about.


                            http://www.canadas-best.com/images/ISRPM_clipDSL.wmv


                            http://www.canadas-best.com/images/PAW2_clipDSL.wmv


                            I hope you enjoyed them!


                            -Luis


                            www.straightblastgym.com

                            www.onedragon.com


                            Awesome! Now I saw some Judo. I suppose Judo and Greco have a ton of overlap anyway...great stuff. Those kids looked like they were having a ball. :)

                            I enjoyed Matt's first series and his seminar in AL----currently going throught the second series on DVD...look forward to the third!!

                            Thank you.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Luis Gutierrez
                              9117 Taft Street in Pembroke Pines
                              When would be a good time to come down to visit and watch a class?

                              I'm still injured, so don't want to hurt my ankle more. Couple that with my girlfriend down for a month from canada, I would never hear the end of it.

                              :)
                              Originally posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
                              "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X