• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal safety in hostile land

Regarding the three unfortunate gentlemen recently
    abducted, 2 of whom were gruesomely killed in Iraq:

I'm not blaming these guys at all, far from it. But
    why is it that three reasonably intelligent men got
    captured without any kind of shots/explosions, etc..
    being reported? Considering they must have known
    they were targets and that very ugly things happen
    if they get captured?

This isn't based on macho posturing, I was just
    thinking if I were there with 2 buddies, we'd have
    a watch system and M-14s and a big sign that said
    'don't come any closer unless you are invited'.
    Did they believe they were secure and trust
    completely in their bodyguards? Did they have
    the option to arm themselves?

I guess I'm just trying to make sense of something
    terrible, and see if there's any lesson to be learned,
    aside from LEAVE, IT'S NOT SAFE HERE.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

The six Egyptians recently captured yesterday had guards...didn't do them much good.

Comment

Once I was riding this coach bus in Cairo, right? And the organization sponsoring the trip hired a bodyguard.

The bodyguard was just an average-looking (i.e. didn't look especially well conditioned) guy with some kind of small SMG; I wasn't sure what type. But, in terms of size it was the type that looks designed to be comfortably fired one handed.

Anyway, so he's sitting there in the front of the bus, and during the trip he accidentally dropped his magazines down the front stairs of the bus.

I guess you can hire a bodyguard, but he can still suck horribly.
      Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

he was there to look "scary".
        "Pain is nothing more then weakness leaving the body"

Comment

Most of the civilians there are there in a protected compound, doing contract work. They're not being kidnapped from the compound, are they? If so .. why the hell would you ever consider leaving it?

Comment

In the early 80's there were several "private" military camps that provided training for this sort of thing. One was connected to Cobray and the other was done by an ex LRRP by the name of Frank Camper, they provided good training that was usefull in "high risk areas" at least according to some people who went overseas after the training that I talked with. They fell out of favor after Campers school inadvertantly trained several individuals that blew up a Canadian air liner.

Comment

That's pretty interesting. I learn something new every day.

As far as the protected compound, that's the way to go,
              as long as you trust whomever is guarding the compound
              not to be bribed or go home early or to chicken out.
              Last edited by Chronomorte; 9/24/2004 12:43pm, .
              It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

Comment

A simple advice. Dont go to Iraq. :eek:
                Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

I did a physical two weeks ago for a local cop who will get paid 120,000 tax free and get room and board free for spending one year. If I was a single young buck and they paid enough I would consider it.

In the early 80's there were similiar job possibilities and I considered and prepared for it by going thru Campers program. However an opportunity arose to get into Aerospace Medicine with the Navy arose and I went that route.
                  Last edited by Rigante; 9/24/2004 2:03pm, .

Comment

There is no way I would go to Iraq to work unless I was issued a firearm, and was still in a 'safe zone', preferrably on a make shift military base, one that I didn't have to leave to accomplish my job. I seriously would not want to be in a position to be kidnapped and beheaded. Fuck That!

Comment

Originally posted by joen00b
                      There is no way I would go to Iraq to work unless I was issued a firearm, and was still in a 'safe zone', preferrably on a make shift military base, one that I didn't have to leave to accomplish my job. I seriously would not want to be in a position to be kidnapped and beheaded. Fuck That!
                      I'd fight to the death, if caught now. What are they going to do, shoot me? A damned sight better'n getting your head slowly sawed off.

Comment

I guess it's a personal preference of Risk vs Reward. 120K tax free just doesn't seem all that appealing considering the penalty would be death. Dead men can stuff thousand dollar bills down strippers G-Strings, now can they...

Comment

If I didnt have a lovely wife I strongly consider doing it but the pay would have to be right and certain security requirements would have to be met.

Comment

Originally posted by joen00b
                            I guess it's a personal preference of Risk vs Reward. 120K tax free just doesn't seem all that appealing considering the penalty would be death. Dead men can stuff thousand dollar bills down strippers G-Strings, now can they...
                            120K to some truck driver in rural Alabama or West Virginia is like winning the lottery...especially if your currently out of work and trying to support a family. The risk vs reward relationship looks a little different from there.

Comment

Damn good point! I just hope the father in the hypothetical situation gets to come home and help his family spend it. The last thing anyone wants to see is his wages going towards his funeral.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X