Shin/Instep Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shin/Instep Protectors

Whats the worth of these things; high, medium, or low?

Other then the obviously needed equipment (gloves, groinpad, headgear, and mouthpiece) what would be the next best piece of sparring equipment to get?

so far Ive looked at ringside.com (the twins shin pad)
    titleboxing.com
    and canbox.ca

so far I think the twins looks the best, feedback, comments?

If I understand your question, it depends on what art you perform. For Muay Thai/kickboxing, they're pretty much a requirement for drills and sparring. Lots of kicking with the lower legs. Some of the guys at my school like to spar without them, and it's probably good to do so every once in a while to get a reminder of what a kick with the shin feels like.

Comment

I have BoES stuff from canbox.ca and it's great. I like their shin pads.
      Regards,
      CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
      One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
      Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

I was just curious what people thought of them, like for example:
        Do they weigh enough that you have to adjust your form a bit
        Do they protect your shins enough
        Do you use em on the heavy bag et cetera.

Comment

Shin pads are for weak shined pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by Traditional Tom
            I was just curious what people thought of them, like for example:
            They're pretty light, but they don't feel completely natural. They're a little bulky, and they usually have 4 different straps (2 elastic on the foot, 2 velcro on the calf).

Yes, they do protect your shins. Even more, they protect your sparring partner from your shins.

I only use them when sparring or doing drills with a partner. When shadow boxing or using a bag, I don't use them. Just my 2 cts.

Comment

Try sparring alternate rounds with and without them, for the heavy bag there is very little need for shin pads as a healthy amount of impact on the shin can help with conditioning.

Comment

ronin "Shin pads are for weak shinned pussies"
                thats pretty much why Im asking about them :)
                I am starting to hit the heavy bag (I think Im getting the basic idea of swinging the hip/foot and I hit the bottom of my bag) with my shin/instep, and I realise I need a day or two recovery before I can thwak it again. I was just curious as to what peoples experience with using shin pads during sparring/heavy bag were.

Comment

My ringside protect my shins pretty well and I hardly know they are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Traditional Tom
                    I am starting to hit the heavy bag (I think Im getting the basic idea of swinging the hip/foot and I hit the bottom of my bag) with my shin/instep, and I realise I need a day or two recovery before I can thwak it again. I was just curious as to what peoples experience with using shin pads during sparring/heavy bag were.
                    Tom, are you teaching yourself muay thai?

Comment

I'm mostly just trying to adopt what I find most helpful from the different stuff I've tried out.
                      Translation: I cannot find a school in the vicinity to train the martial arts I want to train / end translation/

I'm going to be taking JJJ very shortly most likely (within the next two weeks) but Im trying to practise what little I learned from boxing. Also the muay thai kick isn't that hard (assuming Im doing it right, which Im probably not) its mostly hardest to remember not to hit with my instep and hit with my shin instead.

Comment

Tom, I'd recommend you get a set of MT instructionals or something.

Comment

No, no, yes.

Shin pads are for weak shined pussies.
                          Did you play soccer or something as a child? I didn't, my brother did, he has shins of steel, mine ache.

Comment

Originally posted by I Choke You
                            No, no, yes.

Did you play soccer or something as a child? I didn't, my brother did, he has shins of steel, mine ache.
                            Yeah, I did, division one football in Portugal up until 17.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X