mouth guards!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mouth guards!!

Ok, I finally found a school in my area that teaches something other than TKD. MT to be exact. Anyway, now I actually get to spar with other fighters, and so now I need a mouth guard.

First - what's the real purpose of a mouth guard? Is it to protect your lips from getting cut by your teeth?

Second - who builds the better mouth guard? Or does it matter?

I've got an MC Sports in town, and they've got a lot of gear, but I want to get the right stuff.

Thanks!

The primary function of the mouth guard is to protect your teeth when I slap you for not searching.
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I searched on "mouth" and "mouthguard". Nothing on the actual purpose of the mouthguard, but some good tips on good brands. Tanks.

Comment

protects your teeth, and provides some protection against getting KTFO.
        sudo make me a sandwich!

Comment

Just by a cheap mouthguard and stick it in hot water. Can't go wrong.
          "Pain is nothing more then weakness leaving the body"

Comment

Besides what Shumagorath said (it's the primary purpose of a mouthguard). They help to prevent concussions, jaw fracture/dislocation and tooth damage. When it comes to the price...you get what you pay for. The $0.99 boil and bite pieces of junk are more of a tooth damage prevention kind of thing. I wouldn't trust those things to protect my jawbone, or prevent concussions.

I think a double sided (top and bottom) mouthpiece is probably best for sports like Boxing or Muay Thai (I'm no expert, but that's what I've seen suggested). But I don't dig those (nor do I practice Boxing or Muay Thai), so I'm using the Shock Doctor Power Ultra. It's a single mouthpiece that fits and supports the jaw like a double. It only cost me $20 (It's already saved my skin after taking a solid shot on the jaw from a boxer I was sparring with).
            Jaguar's MMA record
            pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
            post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
            - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

There are some issues with breathing through mouthguards until your used to 'em. You tend to pant/leave mouth slack sucking in air which can lead to some... well... pwnage I guess.

Comment

I have a Shock Doctor V3.0 mouthpiece. I think it's pretty good. It's a boil-and-bite kind, so it molds to your teeth.

Here's what it looks like.

http://store.titleboxing.com/sdmp3.html

Comment

http://store.titleboxing.com/titlebo...nce-model.html

if I were to order one online, that'd probably be the one, as I'm getting braces soon.

Comment

shock doctor 3.0 is the one to get
                      "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                      "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                      "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                      "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

I suggest www.o-pro.com I ended up ordering 3x.

Second choice would be the Shock Doctor.

Comment

I like Ringsides. They have a lot to choose from. BTW A good mouth piece is something you shouldnt skimp on, I will save you like others have mentioned from being knocjked out jaw damage and the all to expensive trip to the dentist.

Comment

can't go wrong with shock doctor. I think they also have some kind of insurance that covers you for any damage that happens while wearing them.

Comment

Most mouth pieces do. I believe it's only for the first year (I think you have to send some information somewhere, but I could be mistaken).
                              Jaguar's MMA record
                              pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
                              post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
                              - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X