BAJI !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAJI !

I'm intrigued, Asia or Omar, any input/information? And any help finding a school in Southern California, preferably in San Diego or Orange County?

I've heard about Bagi (baji, bagee, bajee, whatever) before...anyone care to enlighten me a bit though? What is it? I was told once that if I ever took a "kung fu" art, it should be this one. (6', 195lb muscular caucasian guy...better suited to boxing or MT than my current karate/jujutsu primaries)

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

Mr. Machine,
      I have a similar problem as I am coming back to the states for a visit this spring and don't know where to go. Someone on cyberkwoon told me, "You might consider studying with Sifu Jason Tsou in Monterey Park. He teaches Baji and Bagua, among other things and was a close student of Liu Yun Chiao. He is also, I should add, very talented, accessible and affordable."

That is the extent of my knowledge of So-Cal Baji.

Tiger,

6', 195lb muscular . . .hm . YES ! BAJI ! material. I am just a pup. Really too small for BAJI! (5'9" 75kg) Not that it's no good for small guys but when a big guy plays it it's positively fearsome. It's mainly about hitting and hitting hard. There's a lot of hockey style bodyblocking, shoulder smashes and general take advantage of your weight dropping down on someone.

It's pretty no-nonsense and although most of the American schools like to think of BAJI! as a semi-internal style which gets softer as you get more experienced (I disagree), you will find it free of most of the qi-gong nonsense that plagues much of TMA.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
      Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

ahhh craaaap, so nothing in the San Diego area? Now that I can't have it, I REALLY WANT IT! Haha, I don't really know that much about it, but I want to try it out, seems like my style. =) 5'11" 230lbs. Actually, I have a judo body style. but I wanna try baji! oh well.

Comment

Sorry can't help either since I don't know the San Deigo area. I do know some teachers in northern cali.

I guess that is the good/bad thing about BAJI! It realitively new to westerners and is hard difficult to find, which means it hasn't been fully exploited yet.

I started BAJI! in Japan, HAKKYOKUKEN there. Here in Germany I know of only 3 schools here.

______
          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
          ______
          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
          -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
          The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
          -Daniel Tosh

Comment

So basically its like what Akira does in Virtua figher... but I'm sure that its a lot different in practice than it is in a video game. Vanessa really disappointed me because she did "vale tudo" but controling her and the way she fights wasn't like what I expected. VF4 has rules like a san shou + MT tournament! (Everything goes but groundfighting for more than the time it takes to put ONE submission).

I read that its about using your whole body and developing a lot of power in a strike. But surely you'd know that fights tend to be more continous than a single strike and its over. What is the training like? How does it handle continous give and take striking, (Using something like K-1 as an example)?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
            <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

Edited by - Nihilanthic on January 01 2003 23:44:26
            Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

Well, according to my VERY RUDIMENTARY KNOWLEDGE (ie, take it with a grain of salt), one of the principles of bajiquan is to not only put a lot of power in a strike, but to link things together in way that a strike can be followed immediately by another attack so that it is seemless. I know that's very general, but one example I saw went like this. Blocking a punch while simultaneously punching back, and positioning the legs in such a way that by using the striking arm to push the opponent off balance, they would trip and fall over the leg. So I guess you could say that even when the strike is sent (full extension of arm), there are still several possibilities to attack.

-DJ

PS. I will be sad if I am totally incorrect. =( All that typing.

Comment

Continous striking is VERY nessecary.... and common. Counter-attacking is rather generic... and tripping with your leg and pushing with an arm is in a lot of arts with grappling and clinching/trapping...

All effective arts aren't that far removed from eachother. I don't mean striking vs grappling, but one wavelength of striking vs another.

These body checks and shoves are GREAT! I wish they were better developed, but many competitons do not allow shoving, checking, or sumo type stuff. Oddly, a guy who did Jiujutsu and hockey (and has a stocky build) taught me a bit about that kind of stuff. I'm rather lanky myself, but I have strong thighs, which is quite useful for that sort of thing. And big feet for traction...
                6' and 165-170 lbs... it changes a lot but I eat and drink like a horse.

Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

"6' and 165-170 lbs... it changes a lot but I eat and drink like a horse."

Heh, funny thing, I just ate a horse.

Comment

Don't call the poor girl names! I'm sure she feels bad enough already!

But seriously, thanks for the info thus far...I want to add some fluidity to my movement (I'm somewhere between karate and MT/boxing right now...) and perhaps this is a good place to start.

Regards,
                    CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale
                    Regards,
                    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
                    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
                    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Comment

Any more info on BAJI!?

Comment

I'm too little for Baji!

Cast in the name of God. Ye not guilty.
                        "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Don't worry. The first 2 forms are called xiaobaji (small baji) and dabaji (bigbaji) you can just focus on the first one.

p.s.
                          http://www.wutangcenter.com/ is a decent source and http://www.wutang.org/ actually has some footage of one of the old timer doing baji.

BAH ! Puny Humans !
                          Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

If you master the first two forms you will have a firm grasp of the art. Unlike many other KF styles Baji only had 4 forms, mainly beacuse the art is reall not that complicated. Now there are more but mainly do to trying to promote it in wushu circles more.

Nil,

Since you brought up video game BAJI players i will ad to the list:
                            Tekken
                            Paul Pheonix (don't let it full you most of what he does come from BAJI not Judo. He is offically listed as 'JUDO BASED MA' mainly because they had two other pple useing BAJI MA.)
                            Julia/Michelle Chang (BAJI + Wreslting)
                            Xiao Yu (she actually does Piquaquan but legend has it that Piqua and Baji were once one art but was later split by a woman because she felt Piqua movements were better suited for women.)

ERGEIHZ
                            Li Shu Wen (nuff said! Nothing says BAJI like the GOD of SPEAR himself)

Mortal Kombat DA
                            Lin (she is supposed to be doing BAJI but I don't think they knew what the hell BAJI was)

there are more but I got to go now.

______
                            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

"I love you Asia" - I Give BJJs Posted - December 25 2002 : 10:40:09
                            ______
                            Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                            -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                            The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                            -Daniel Tosh

Comment

How are Baji strikes delivered any different to those of boxing or Karate? I remember you (Asia) saying something about Biomechanics, could you give anymore details?

Yours in Aiki.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
                              those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
                              Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X