Weird BJJ-people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird BJJ-people

Last edited by PoleFighter; 9/16/2004 5:33am, .
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

I mean, is this "if I train you, I own your soul"-shit that I was trying to get away from a big part of the BJJ-culture, or is this just an isolated nutcase?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Comment

That's fucked up. Every BJJ instructor I have met treats it like a community. Our two BJJ schools here in Hamburg regularly work out together and use each other's facilities.

Comment

Some guys that start out in TMAs or other schools with such attitudes might bring it with them, but it's not anything that is common to BJJ, I don't think.
        "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

most BJJ places i would imagine highly approve of cross training, mine did at least
          CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Comment

and so it begins, BJJ plagued by the same narrow minded politics as wing chun....

BWAAAHAHAHAHA!
            Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
            Scramble Stuff

Comment

From what I have heard it's very much that way in Brazil now. Clubs do not train together unless they are under the same instructor. We have a pretty open policy at our school, open mats every saturday, and regularly go to open mats at other schools. I like it that way, you can learn alot by training with other schools.
              Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Comment

I guess it's just time to accept that every style is infected with feeble minded man-children who need someone to hate to give themselves a sliver of purpose in life.

"Step away," I hissed.
                -Phil Elmore

Comment

Machado and Gracie? Apparently there is this divide in Australia, as I understand it. Don't know about overseas.

Comment

Cousins, I hear Rickson still talks with them though. But hey, there is a huge division within the Gracies themselves.

Comment

"Step away," I hissed.
                      -Phil Elmore

Comment

Wait till Helio dies...

Comment

[sadly shakes head]
                          I've heard that this kind of thing happens in Brazil. Around where I live, we're pretty open, and that helps everybody - why should you get all your knowledge from one source?
                          There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

Didn't Helio already name Rorion as his successor?

Comment

Playing devil's advocate:

Maybe the instructor that e-mailed you back was just showing respect for the other guy. Not wanting to try and "steal" one of the other guys students or something. Not sure how big the BJJ market is in Sweden so maybe this had something to do with it.

He may also feel that, as a beginner, you should stay at one place and study until one person until you get a good foundation.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X