Cool weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool weapons

So I was doing a bit of reading on the Tactical High Energy Laser and its cooler cousin the Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser. Say what you like about the evils of warfare and weaponry, these are some cool toys. And effective? The THEL has shot down some 25 Katyusha rockets and mortars in multiple salvos and it only costs a few thousand dollars per shot (as opposed to a Patriot missile, say, which costs a couple of million). The Bush Administration is rushing to deploy an untested highly questionable anti-missile missile system while all along they're developing the real thing, a technology that really works and is actually cheaper than the alternative. That "cheaper" part is likely the biggest problem; why build a highly effective defense system that only enriches your friends to the tune of a few hundred million dollars when you could be putting up a non-working system for dozens of billions? That is, of course, putting aside the strategic folly of the whole National Missile Defense thing in the first place...

http://www.defense-update.com/directory/THEL.htm
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

<nerd>My deepest fantasies are coming true!</nerd>

:D
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

lol...actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Star Wars, but that fits the bill too.
      "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Comment

I saw something a few years ago on the Discovery channel about these things, they had one mounted on the back of a truck. Very, very cool.

The thing that sparked me was they were hinting about mounting a few of these on a large (think B52) aircraft, which would make it one very badass plane indeed. No fly zone? Too fucking right mate!!!

Comment

Actaully "60 Minutes" have reveal in the past that some of those military test have been rigged to make it look more impress that they really were. In one test where an object was hit by a laser it appeared to have exploded but later it was found that the object was under pressure so when it got hit it went boom. It was deliberately done to draw more funding ionto the project. Go figure.

But I have to admit. I find all these various weopons to be fascinating! I use to be really into this stuff.
          Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

Remember the Patriot Missiles?

Comment

Does it really work?
              Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

i think that the future of warfare will be indeed laser weaponry. There are lasers now used to deflect missiles from airplanes and to shoot down ballistic missles( actually they maybe still in development, i dunno). i think given time , the laser technology will be refined and made suitable for other things such as rifles ect to give the user advantages over conventional arms( accurate fire, minimal reload , long range, instant hit etc)..

however with the war on terror, the laser process may be delayed...

heres an article
                http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shad...roject244.html

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy
                  Actaully "60 Minutes" have reveal in the past that some of those military test have been rigged to make it look more impress that they really were. In one test where an object was hit by a laser it appeared to have exploded but later it was found that the object was under pressure so when it got hit it went boom. It was deliberately done to draw more funding ionto the project. Go figure.

But I have to admit. I find all these various weopons to be fascinating! I use to be really into this stuff.
                  Oh yeah, 60 Minutes, bastion of unobjective journalistic integrity!

:D

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X