striking from the guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

striking from the guard

be it good or bad, i find myself pulling guard probably more readily than i should.

i'm wondering about striking from the guard as a viable plan of attack. i'm fairly long-bodied and have had some success defending strikes and landing my own while in guard.

i was hoping to get some thoughts on whether i should possibly abandon this strategy and concentrate on reversing position instead of expending my energy attempting to land punches.

Comment

Dont try to win by punching from your back. Ever. Use it to set up sweeps or keep them busy, but dont rely on it.

Comment

Yeah, use it to set stuff up. The other day, I was rolling with this guy, who was in my guard and was doing little else than pinning me down. We were practicing some light GnP that day and I was getting frustrated as I couldn't sub or sweep this guy who was basically laying there between my legs. So I started punching... And he postured up to defend himself. BOOM, hip bump sweep.
        "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

try going to a rape defense course. that'll give you all the striking from the guard training that you'll ever need

Comment

The most effective striking that I've seen from the bottom was Royce Gracie's heel kicks to the kidneys. I think that technique could be a good candidate for your arsenal.

Semmy Schilt has also demonstrated effectiveness punching from the bottom, but that has more to do with his proportions than his technique.

If you're talking about self-defence applications, then I would start off by suggesting that you don't pull guard. When you inevitably clinch up, try to use your head.

I read a great piece of advice about headbutting: imagine that you have horns sprouting from your forehead, and the you want to gore your opponent. Lower your head,and crack him on an upwards angle with the corner of your forehead.

If you do find yourself on your back with your opponent in your guard, and you want to strike, I'd suggest trying to tie up his head, and then putting your fingers into his eyes. I can't think of anything that would be more effective than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey

Guard (grappling only) = In Guard
              is this true?
              i've heard that the advantage is to the person on the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by J-Lau
                Dont try to win by punching from your back. Ever. Use it to set up sweeps or keep them busy, but dont rely on it.
                He be speaking correctly.

Comment

You should always try to be on top. Even in grappling only, the advantage goes to the guy in the guard, trying to pass.

Comment

I think in grappling only it's purely subjective. I mean, regardless of whether you're on top or bottom you've got myraid ways to sweep or pass, and almost all of them put you in side control anyway. So what's the difference?
                    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Comment

If you are in SOME guys guards in MMA you are not winning.You are in tremendous danger.
                      Guard is not better or worse than being in guard.It is entirely dependant on the relative skills of the fighters.
                      So I guess you mean that they are equally skilled.
                      Ok.
                      Mark Coleman in Mark Colemans guard will knock out the bottom Mark Coleman.
                      Matt Serra is Matt Serra's guard is too busy trying not to get swept or subbed to get much of a beatdown going.
                      Being VERY general I will say that in a ring few guys can GnP to victory vs a good gurd guy under them.
                      It is alot harder than it looks.
                      Fedor is an anomaly just as much as Mino is.
                      I would hate to be in my guard.I don't think I could do much of anything but wait for a chance to pass.

Comment

There are lots of great opportunities to strike from guard with your elbows. For instance if you are going for a triangle, but cant get it locked all the way in, as they are defending it, their face is wide open more often than not. The point of your elbow in their eye/nose/chin takes the fight out of a lot of guys i would imagine. Also elbows work as transitory movements. When you are going for a lat whip, you can throw an elbow to the face while in the process of taking the arm across.

Comment

Originally posted by JKDb8
                          There are lots of great opportunities to strike from guard with your elbows. For instance if you are going for a triangle, but cant get it locked all the way in, as they are defending it, their face is wide open more often than not. The point of your elbow in their eye/nose/chin takes the fight out of a lot of guys i would imagine. Also elbows work as transitory movements. When you are going for a lat whip, you can throw an elbow to the face while in the process of taking the arm across.
                          i wondered about this...

elbows are not allowed in some of these fighting sports.

are elbows any use on the floor. I think i remember seeing someone knocked out by an elbow on the floor once in ultimate fight or something?

Boris
                          London

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X