Training In Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training In Korea

I'm thinking about going to Korea for a year or two to work. One of the things on my mind is training.

I've been doing BJJ for awhile, and I'm mostly interested in grappling. I've been doing a bit of research online, and it seems like the only grappling art available is Yudo. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the its popularity and quality of training in Korea. Of course, if anyone has any other information on grappling in Korea, I'd love to hear it.

Weapons training is another thing I'd like to try. I've found that canes are used in higher-level Hapkido, and Hwa Rang Do has techniques for 108 different weapons. The problem is that I'd only be in Korea for a year or two. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could most efficiently use my time there?

Finally, does anyone have any general thoughts or experiences that they'd like to share on the subject of training in Korea?

I know of one guy who is training BJJ in Seoul right now. There are BJJ clubs there, it's just relatively new. In any case, if you don't find the quality of BJJ there to your liking, or discover that it isn't available where you're heading, then I would suggest going with judo (yudo), as the two styles are very complimentary to say the least.

Comment

I just ran a search, and I found a BJJ club in Korea. Since the site is 100% Hangu, I can't figure out where it is. But you're absolutely right. There is definitely BJJ in Korea.

I can't help but think that it might be a bit of a waste of an opportunity. I suppose that remains to be seen.

Edit: I just noticed that you're in Toronto. Have you checked out Rebellio Jiu-Jitsu?
      Last edited by Hondo; 9/04/2004 7:56pm, .

Comment

Yeah, but not since they changed locations.

Comment

What did you think?

Comment

Good club. Omar and Steve, who run the place, are both smaller guys, so they tend to teach in a very technical way. They're also both very friendly. I'd assume that the student population is the same.

Comment

I just graduated with a B.Ed., and I'm looking for work as an elementary school teacher. I'd love to get a job in Toronto so I could train there. It looks like I'll be moving to Mississauga or Brampton, though. I've had my eye on Ultimate Sambo...

Comment

Korean Judo in some areas is world class.

Comment

That's encouraging.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X