Making an MA Movie About a Mcdojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making an MA Movie About a Mcdojo

I was thinking it would be funny to make a movie about a kid getting bullied, training in a Mcdojo sort of setting, getting a black belt, going back to face the bully and getting shitkicked anyway, going back to his "master" who then shows him some "secret lethal" technique, and then getting shitkicked again...it would be good to have some scenes with meditation, and point-sparring, belt tests, that sort of thing, and the beatdowns would be as anti-climactic as possible, with as much dramatic build up before hand as possible.

So, before the fight, it shows the guy preparing, going through all sorts of "training" and practicing all sorts of silly techniques, then, when the fight starts, he just gets punched, hard in the face and starts crying or something, then gets punched again, then kicked a few times while he's on the ground in the fetal position...

I think I have just about everything I would need to make this movie, like all the props and wardrobe and so on, and I bet I could get my instructor to let me use his school for some of the "training" shots and enough people who would volunteer to act in it...only problem would be if I needed a bunch of people in one scene.

So, good idea or bad idea?

Oh, and suggestions are welcome.

Yes, after he gets whooped make him go to a MMA school where the training is hard as fuck and he's throwing up after practice, and then show him a few months later where he's all physically fit, and then goes back to school and chokes out the bully. Heh!

Comment

Well...that's an idea, but I really want the futility of Mcdojo arts to be strongly emphasized before any realistic training begins.

Comment

Sounds like it has potential. If ya want any help, I'd be more than willing to help; I love filmmaking :P

Comment

I love the idea. You need at least one training montage where katas are being done. I think a head band is required for the nerdy kid (a la the karate kid prehaps). A scene where his "master" is signing him up and dicussing the cost of his training long before their training ever begins is needed badly. After all, have to capture every aspect of the mcdojo.

Having the master after a lengthy conversation on the seriousness required to train in the martial arts, then sitting down at a computer or something that keeps making cash register noises or something else painfully obvious on how this person is being ripped off would be priceless. Reading glasses and or an adding machine for the master are a must.

The teaching of "anti-grapple" and other brilliant ideas that could be made up on the spot as well. The style in question being learned should probably just be some mashed together combination of a various styles, but not quite as elequently done as in Kajukenbo. Kung Kwon Jitsu Ryu or something in the same vein.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the "good guy", but I like the idea of the nerd fellow learning some mma or actually training the real deal and having some R. Lee Ermy type character as his instructor there.

Just some ideas that popped into my head when the thread was being read. Good luck on your endevor.

Comment

Have the guy do a weapons form in school, wearing a tacky polyester or satin uniform. Make sure to involve a lot of screeching. Then, have the bullies wait for him in the parking lot.

Comment

Yes, if I make the nerdy kid an ass...then he can be the protagonist, but also continually lose, excellent :D.

Comment

sounds sweet. you could go once were warriors stylez and just have the fucker killed at the end by the bullies. that'd be sweet.

Comment

I don't think the kid should take up MMA. If he's going to win, it should be by rallying up all the other clowns at his school (his teacher won't be involved, because it's immoral and beneath him and he doesn't believe in combat), which will open up for a scene of overwhelmingly craptastic display. A few of the black belts can be slapped around a bit, and then they all swarm in like those little dinosaurs from Jurassic Park.

Comment

Have him wear his uniform and black belt when he confronts the bullies.
                    You could also make his teacher a well known bullshido artist...but dont give it away, instead make allusions to his identity

Comment

I think that you should use actual McDojo techniques. Preferably more common ones, like inappropriate wrist locks so that it would "ring true" for some people.
                      Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

May I suggest after the first ass whipping have the instructor suggest to the kid he needs to "Join the Black Belt Club...good inside joke for Bullshido"...then if you want to risk possible overkill/pissing off the ATA...after the 2nd assw whipping have the instructor suggest that the mark needs to join the "leadership program". Make sure there are plenty of patches on the uniform...add more for each "program" the mark joins.

Gringo Grande
                        MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
                        (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Comment

Originally posted by WalkOn
                          I don't think the kid should take up MMA. If he's going to win, it should be by rallying up all the other clowns at his school (his teacher won't be involved, because it's immoral and beneath him and he doesn't believe in combat), which will open up for a scene of overwhelmingly craptastic display. A few of the black belts can be slapped around a bit, and then they all swarm in like those little dinosaurs from Jurassic Park.
                          I wholeheartedly second that idea.

Also, camo gi's and a rex-kwon-do type of instructor are another way to go, otherwise the more traditional assclown and stiff uniform.

Has anyone seen "Joe Somebody"? It's a movie about a guy who gets pushed around at work blah blah, and then joins this dojo of a retired action star and basically wins at the end in every aspect imaginable (girl, job, lots of friends). He wore this absolutely hilarious gi that was ridiculously over-starched, so it was all stiff looking, but he acted all serious.

On second thought, a really stiff, starched, oversized uniform is nearly mandatory, along with some sort of headband. In addition, if the "art" the instructor is teaching is from china, make him give the nerd a headband with the korean flag on it, etc etc.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jsun102

In addition, if the "art" the instructor is teaching is from china, make him give the nerd a headband with the korean flag on it, etc etc.

Good luck!
                            agreed!!! the more inconsistancies the better!!

Comment

I like the idea of teaching the kid d34dly antigrapple techniques, so you should make the bullies wrestlers, and the instructor can give the kid every reason we've ever heard about why grapppling doesn't work, and then he can do the anti-grappple techniques and get beaten-up anyway.

Also, people who see the kid lose won't think it's the fault of the mcdojo, they'll think it's the kid's fault, so you should have the bullies beat up the instructor, like the karate kid scene where Miyagi saves the kid, only this time the wrestlers beat the instructor up.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X