Getting back into boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back into boxing

Since it appear imminent that I will be losing my teaching contract for two of my classes each week (over a totally personal vendetta, not for any real reason that anybody can/will vocalize to me), I am going to have some free time.

I do not deal well with free time, and the No Limits Boxing Club is just down the street from me, so I am debating getting back into boxing, especially soince I seem to be in good shape after wrestling again.

I want opinions, insults, and maybe even a bit of moral support here so fire away guys.

Here are the Pros/Cons:

Cons:
    I haven't boxed in about a decade
    I will be the oldest guy there outside the coach
    4 concussions
    Bad right shoulder and knee

Pros:
    I'm stronger and faster now than I was when I last boxed, as well as heavier
    I'm medically cleared to wrestle, so my head and body must be in pretty good shape despite everything else
    I like humiliating guys younger than me
    Yes!
    60.87%
    No!
    13.04%
    Where is this at? I want a piece of you.
    26.09%
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Well, if you are infact stronger and faster than when you last boxed and you did alright a decade ago, surely it will be even better.

Comment

Yea, go in and beat some people down! :D It should be great as long as you to push your sholder and knee to far.

Comment

Sounds like you already made your decision. Enjoy yourself!

Comment

Do it you lazy old bastard, just don't bug young people like myself about 'the good ol days', its the best way to lose respect.

If you haven't done it in a decade, it should be a reawakening experience for you, where everything is new again :)
          have fun, theres no boxing near my house :(

Comment

I hope someone catches you with a lucky cross and you die of a brain hemorrhage.

Comment

deus ex, dig deep, you can do better then THAT, cant you?

Comment

You crazy old man! It is time to punch things!
                MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
                "Fag."
                "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

brilliant Antagony, just brilliant.

Yeah, go hit somebody. Have a good time

Comment

Pete , gt your Yoga In for the Shoulder/Knee (esp shoulder) and GO FOR IT !

Be careful tho, moving up in weight ca nbe a Shock sometimes . Esp after an Absence .

Comment

Never let age hold you back!!! Unless they won't let you take your walker into the ring.

Comment

Mr. Kicker, I take it from your name you like to kick women during sex and not during sex, is this correct?
                        And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Comment

That's Ms. Kicker to you, greeseball. ;)

Comment

While I'm sure you're more than capable of doing anything you set your mind and body to, I would be a little cautious about the 4 concussions. Why not think about starting Muay Thai, instead of boxing? You'll take less head shots in Muay Thai, and the ones that you will take, will be a lot less punishing than a full tilt boxing punch. Because of the potential to get kicked or kneed, your opponent will be delivering punches at distances a little greater than you'd otherwise face from a traditional boxing opponent. Thus your chance of getting hit hard enough to trigger a concussion is diminished, while maybe only slightly, its still worth considering.

Good luck!

Comment

What does 4 concussions mean, medically, anyways?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X