Tournament Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournament Schools

Maybe this time, I can some of you to agree with me on this point.... (maybe even Peedee)....

Any MA school that practices and prepares for tourneys are a WASTE OF TIME! I know more than a few MA's who have won 1st place trophies in forms, weapons, fighting, etc. and the truth is they are horrible and could never defend themselves in the street! Although, they seem to not understand this point. They walk around like badasses because they won a "medal" in some stupid Karate tourney.... I'm sure you know the type. When I am in my travels, I always look for different schools (out of curiosity) and see what they're up to. I'd have to say that 8 out of 10 of them are in the habit of lining their walls with TROPHIES!!! Wow, how impressive! This is mainly to impress the people who walk in off the stree and don't know better. If your school has it's walls lined with trophies, then in my opinion, you are part of a MCDOJO! Tourneys are for kids not for serious MA's. They really have no point at all except to dupe people into more money and keep them paying. For Christ Sake, most tourneys these days you have to pay to participate and they practically guarantee you a trophy! How GAY ROMO is that?????? The people that particpate in these horrid events are the ones I was talking about in my last thread "Training Methods" - no minds, monkey minds, mama didn't love them enough - boo hoo hoo!!!!! Even the judges, for the most part, are frauds and bullies. More than half them don't really know what their doing or judging by so they just pick the ones they like the "look of". What a travesty! I don't mean to offend any of you "warriors" out there, but really? What's the fucking point? Are you going to go through your whole lives trying to prove you're a MAN?? If it takes a "medal" from one of these mctourneys than I feel bad for you. Once again, I will end with this note.... Martial Arts are NOT for these kinda of people, THERAPY IS!!!!!

I owned you the minute you woke up!

you feel the same about MMA tourneys?

Comment

Not exactly, the whole MMA stuff was created purely for SPORT purposes. TMA's were not. I have nothing against the UFC, they are good at what they do, it's just not my bag.

Comment

I think part of the problem is these schools do not or perhaps cannot distinguish between what works in tournaments and what works on the street. Participation in tournaments can be fun but one has to realize ... IT IS NOT THE STREET. But I agree all to many schools pin their entire reputation on tournament success. In their minds the tournaments are the messure of the effectiveness of their art, their teaching etc. Yes... they are deluded.

"Gentlemen! No fighting in here! This is the War Room."

Comment

Well I will agree and disagree with you Ballonknot. I agree that if a school does nothing but practice for tournaments, but claims to teach self defense, it is crap. If they practice for tournaments and they say they are a sport karate or TKD or whatever, then I really don't have a problem with that as long as they aren't saying they are teaching proper self defense.

I will disagree that it is a wast of time to practice for tournaments as part (not the whole) of the curriculm. Tourneys are fine and fun....That is what they should be looked upon...just having fun. Nothing else. As you know, as well as I, too many schools take that to the extreme and that is what they survive for, the next tournament.

My instructor ripped up a corner of a piece of paper and told me that it represented tournamnet part of martial arts. Then he showed me the remainder of the whole sheet and said this is what represents all the martial arts. However, to many people just teach the torn corner.

Jeremy M. Talbott
          http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
          http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
          Jeremy M. Talbott

Originally posted by Phrost
          "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
          Originally posted by D.Murray
          "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
          Originally posted by hangooknamja88
          My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

Well Jeremy, the problem is... What school would tell you when you join up that they are just for "sport"? They won't because "most" schools ARE mcdojo's! They will say almost anything to get you to sign on the bottom line..........

Comment

Not true...Many schools, in our area that are tournament school say that they practice sport karate. With that in mind, if you see them advertise sport karate and that is not what you want, then back away slowly. :)

Jeremy M. Talbott
              Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
              "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
              My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

If they tell you that before you join, then great! I have no problem with that. To each his own, right?

Comment

Balloonknot: YOU ARE SOOOOO right!

Comment

I agree

Jeremy M. Talbott
                    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Comment

You have to know what you want from a school. If what they tell you is different from what they do, then leave, as they've lied to you. Doing purely sporting forms isn't nessesarily bad.
                      Now for a little allegory.
                      I used to compete in foil and I learnt a massive amount about timing and distance (it totally fucked my footwork though...)
                      However, fencing has rules which you stick to, and there isn't much point in training for anything outside of those rules. When it came to applying what i knew about foil to general swordfighting, it was largely useless, with the exception of the timing and distance. The techniques and styles were incompatible. Whenever I forgot and slipped into fencing mode, I got well and truely twatted.
                      And here the allegory ends. Draw what conclusions you like.
                      Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Comment

just clearing my throat.

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"

Comment

Yes, I too cannot stand sport karate. My years in it are a blot on my martial past which I may never be able to fully remove.

This "wave hand in face = scored point" crap can't be allowed to masquerade as real karate. At least everyone should convert to Kyokushin rules; wear pads if it makes them feel good about themselves.

The whole idea of "sparring" arose from karate being looked at like Judo's red-headed stepchild in the old days and needing to find some form as a "game". If they went at each other full force without pads, someone would get killed, and the only stuff resembling protective gear they had back then was bamboo Kendo armor. So, they retain the ability to put "ichi geki hissatsu" into practice, and then pull their punches in a sparring match. But after 100 years of this shit, we end up with students who THINK they can kill in one blow and who ACT like they can kill in one blow, but need 1,000!

Forms competition is even worse. They let misguided kids (and adults who actually believe they aren't just dancing) "choreograph" their own forms which have all the self-defense application of flashy wushu. Worse than that, they let them put this crap to music.

I've heard talk of karate becoming an Olympic sport-- why? As a demonstration sport, karate cannot stand up to wushu. For fighting, karate men can go compete in TKD and knock the crap out of them for the hell of it. What place does karate have?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche
                          "Nietzsche is dead." -God
                          "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Comment

i completely agree good post.

Don't get carried away asshole because I'm gonna give you a fight that you'll never forget!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X