Handstand Push ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handstand Push ups

[n00b mode]Guys i shudder at the thought of having to ask for advice on this forum because i jus know i'll get flamed, but has anyone got any advice on how to work my way iup to handstand push ups?[/n00b mode]

Why would you want to do them?

Comment

I like to alternate body weight exerscises with weight training. And besides, Matt Furey does them...

Comment

Well your first issue will be balance ( overcomed by placing feet aginst wall) and then it will be blood rushing to your head ( overcome by getting a transfusion).

Comment

i~m working on this very thing right now. Get on your hands with your back against the wall. Balancing without support will take a while to learn.

Comment

*slaps forehead:

Fucking newbs...... Find a wall. I do them all the time. I don't use a wall anymore but it helps in the beginning.

<<former polevaulter.

Comment

Originally posted by cafezinho
              i~m working on this very thing right now. Get on your hands with your back against the wall. Balancing without support will take a while to learn.
              gah.....tat wat i gits fer nut reedin awl duh potes.

Comment

Get a partner to grab your ankles - not in the way Omega would if he was violating you - but to help stabilize your body and help pull you up. After time you won't need the assistance.

Comment

Omega used to "pole vault"...

Comment

Good method I learnt- start off against a wall, legs spread, hands a few feet in front of the wall. Start working backwards and taking your legs together gradually.
                    copyright kickchick :p

Comment

ah but remember it doesnt matter how much balance you have, sure you will be able to do a handstand but if you have no strength your not gonna be able to do 1 pushup thinks of the old days] first time i tryed doign a hand stand pushup, my arms gaveway and i nearly broke my neck ( i ended up tearing a few mussels in my neck)

Comment

Ouch is all I have to say to that. It's good to practice rolling out of a handstand (hard to really explain in text but: turn in and collapse one arm, touch the fleshy backside of the shoulder to the ground, and tuck your body into a ball--let gravity turn you over), as you should sort of pass through that when doing leaping rolls. And its just plain good to get used to being upside-down.

Using a wall or partner reduces the strain on your arms/shoulders so you can build up the strength to support yourself free-standing.

Comment

Once you hit failure with full handstand Push ups - try jack-knifes
                          Start in push up position - walk your hands back towards your feet until your butt is up in the air - start doing push ups. Now if THAT doesn't start a flame you guys aren't paying attention!

Comment

If you still dont have enough strength to do full handstand push ups against the wall.
                            do small dips and gradualy increase the drop down.

Originally posted by Stickx
                            It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
                            Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Comment

Originally posted by JinenkanShadow
                              ah but remember it doesnt matter how much balance you have, sure you will be able to do a handstand but if you have no strength your not gonna be able to do 1 pushup thinks of the old days] first time i tryed doign a hand stand pushup, my arms gaveway and i nearly broke my neck ( i ended up tearing a few mussels in my neck)

Try again you might actually succeed next time (in breaking your neck that is)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X