Asian take on "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian take on "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I belong to a mailing comprised of about 200 Taiwanese people. This morning one of the members posted this letter from the stars of the movie
    July 24, 2004

Dear Friends, Fans, Haters, Players, and True Money Makers,

Hey! This is Kal Penn (aka Kalpen Modi) and John Cho writing to encourage you
    to go see our upcoming comedy from New Line Cinema, "Harold and Kumar Go to
    White Castle," opening nationwide on July 30th. This film marks the first time
    a major studio is releasing a project with two Asian American males as the
    leads. We don't have stereotypical accents, we don't passively tread through
    the story, we're not asexual or hypersexual, there are no martial arts scenes,
    one-dimensional cab driver segments.

We play a couple of guys who
    happen to be of Indian and Korean descent. Our characters (Harold and Kumar)
    are post-collegiate buddies who get the munchies and end up going on the
    adventure of their lives as they set out to satisfy a spontaneous craving for
    White Castle burgers. Ebert and Roeper just gave our movie "Two Thumbs Up"! We
    hope you will too. Read on.

The opening weekend for any film is extremely important. Studio executives
    (the people who make big decisions about movies) track the numbers from that
    first weekend's ticket sales and make all kinds of decisions based on that
    data. They decide if they will add more screens to show a film, if they will
    spend more money in promoting it, if they will start investing in a sequel...
    but most importantly, they decide if elements of the film work and whether they
    should do it again. In our case, that means they
    strong script and story succeed or fail with 2 Asian American guys in
    non-stereotypical roles?". We personally think it will succeed, but we need
    your help! This film is our chance to prove that realistic, nonstereotypical
    depictions can make an audience have a blast, and take in enough money to make
    this happen in the future.
    By buying a ticket to "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle", you aren't just
    gonna get to see a really funny movie with two dudes who look like you. Nope.
    You're also going to be saying to media outlets, "I support accurate
    representation of Asian Americans and would like to see more." You have the
    power to change things simply by buying a ticket to a film that we believe
    you'll have fun watching anyway!
    Please go to the theaters on the weekend of July 30th, and watch "Harold &
    Kumar Go to White Castle". We look at this awesome opportunity like we do
    voting in an election. Every movie ticket someone buys is a VOTE, and the cool
    part is, you're allowed to vote as many times as you want. With your support of
    the film, we will show decision-makers in Hollywood that supporting movies like
    these is not only the right thing to do, but is also good business. We'll also
    show YOU what it's like to ride a cheetah, hang glide off a cliff, pick up a
    hitchhiking Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie
    punks, get love interests, and sing Wilson Phillips at the top of our lungs.
    So just hold on for one more... week, and check out the website at
    www.HaroldandKumar.com. This film opens the weekend of July 30th! Send this
    email to all of your friends. Throw parties. Order food. Make a night (or
    weekend) out of it and go see "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"! This is a
    landmark opportunity for the Asian American community, and we are proud to be
    the faces involved. With your support and the success of this film, we hope
    that it's only the beginning of many more Asian Americans on

Enjoy the movie,

Kal Penn and John Cho
    "Kumar" and "Harold"
    The folks on the list, who are mainly older people (50+) are getting fired up about going to the movie. Now, while I find it amusing that a bunch of retired Taiwanese are going to see a doper movie, I did post a link to them explaining what the movie is about.

Now the point of this post... how do you guys see it? Is this a turning point like they think?
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Re: Asian take on "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Originally posted by tkdan28
    Now the point of this post... how do you guys see it? Is this a turning point like they think?
    no
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Comment

I dunno about this movie but I hope this movie's better than Cho's other movie -- "Better Luck Tomorrow." That movie was just ungodly terrible. Though, come to think of it, if the filmmaker insisted you despise* the main character, he accomplished his goal.

*not because they were budding thugz, it was him following that girl around like a 8 week old bichon frise. If was like Woody Allen created a made-for-MTV movie.

Though I'll admit to "Dude, where's my car?" as a guilty pleasure, so, who knows?
      Last edited by fragbot; 7/30/2004 2:20pm, .

Comment

No indeed. Looks like a stupid movie anyways. Likely not going to see it unless everyone around me turns into Harold and Kumar nuts.
        Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

Indians are considered "Asian American"?

Comment

and next can we have a movie where russians AREN"T gangsters and it's NOT snowing please?!

oh, and i'll probably go see it.

Comment

Originally posted by SunTzu
              Indians are considered "Asian American"?
              India is in Asia....

Comment

Geographically yes, but I don't really see how they could be otherwise grouped. Most Middle-Eastern countries are technically part of Asia if I remember correctly, and I doubt they would consider a Persian character to be Asian-American.

Comment

Originally posted by SunTzu
                  Geographically yes, but I don't really see how they could be otherwise grouped. Most Middle-Eastern countries are technically part of Asia if I remember correctly, and I doubt they would consider a Persian character to be Asian-American.
                  I questioned that as well, but then again, I'm not geography major, so i just assumed ignorance on my part.
                  :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

Comment

In the UK, Indians are quite commonly refered to as Asian. These guys- or rather the movie's PR folks- wrote this letter and went with Asian. I think it's safe to say he's Asian.

Comment

i like to refer to indians as subcontinentals.

Comment

yeah in england we use the term asian for indians, but sadly we call people of oriental looks chinese when that can probably be seen as lazy and alsmost racist, i guess u skin colour makes us not group asian and insian together?

or am i just talking shit?

Comment

or maybe you are an idiot.

Comment

based on spelling and syntax I vote for idiot... subcontinentals was funny, btw... of course, I've always wanted a Lincoln Continental so I am biased.
                            Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Comment

Better Luck Tomorrow was fucking awesome.. albeit very fucked up.

Kimbo gives it two fists up!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X