Muay Thai... the TKD of Boxing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muay Thai... the TKD of Boxing?

I am strongly looking towards taking MT. I have heard from one guy who took it for a while that it relies heavily on kicks and not very much on punches. I was stunned. I had seen Muay Thai fights. The kicks seemed more like peelers (moves to chip away at an enemy) and the punches seemed just as deadly. Would I be misconceiving facts if I took Muay Thai to help with my hand, knee, foot and elbow striking games? Any input please?

Stick with the Shotokan. MT is just a sport and it sucks.

Comment

Well you do Bujinkan so it has to be an improvement right? ;)

Comment

Give it a go, whether its your thing or not is for you to decide but there's no harm in trying it out.

Comment

Blankslate - Thanks
          Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Comment

not being an expert of knowledge on either Shotokan or Bujinkan i do know that my punching and kicking power have both dramatically increased form me previously doing TaeKwonDo (i know it won't have been difficult to improve but it still did) but as far as i am aware Muay Thai is one of the best arts for knees and the clinch aswell as a good art for kicking, elbows i think depends on the school you train at and there are better arts for hand techniques but i agree with dark majique if you can try out an art or the several you may be considoring it will give you a better knowledge to choose the best one for you.

Comment

a lot more muay thai schools are incorporating boxing into the art, because many people who are training MT are also competing in MMA, and other kickboxing without MT rules. MT rules score more points for thai style kicks and what not, so the emphasis is on those things.

Comment

Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
                Blankslate - Thanks
                hehe...took me out of context.

Forgot to mention that MT damaged my ribs recently...right, Whitey?

Comment

That wasn't MT It was Shidokan! I was aiming for your liver anyway...

Comment

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses guys! I am going to call the school and get a 411 real quick. I was thinking of watching a few classes or maybe joining for a month to see what its like there. I dont mind if my kicks get better, but I am really starting to love my hands. So much faster than a boot to the head.

Death 40K:

Do you mean I should lay off either Bujinkan or Shotokan and take the other as the base of my training? I currently am not taking Shotokan, only Bujinkan... I consider it my balancing art. The others are going to be for specific dishes of ass whoopin

Meowrsx:

Yes this is what I was told by someone who took MT... its what I am a lil weary of.

Blankslate:

Okay fair enough... what about boxing? Shotokan will probably teach some stand up sparring principles but what about an art where thats all you do? I need stand up assistance immediately... and besides its been years since I took Shotokan. I dont want to start from white again

Comment

It was a joke. I was a brown belt in japanese karate years ago..

Trust me... MT, Western Boxing, Kickboxing...do any of 'em. Do all of 'em. Serious...

Keep your deadly handstrikes from Shotokan, the horse stance as exercise, and the sweeps but apply them from an MT base....

You'll be deadly.

MT is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark
                          That wasn't MT It was Shidokan! I was aiming for your liver anyway...
                          Doh! you got both of them! Fear Shidokan!

Comment

i was saying that i did not have a comparisson between Muay Thai and Bujinkan/Shotokan so for all i could know Bujinkan/Shotokan could be ten times better than Muay Thai. Although I think that is doubtful i would still recommend trying out as many arts as possible before settling on one

This is off topic but im looking for a martial art school in my area. is there anywhere where in particular where i should post a thread or look for a thread so as to avoid being flamed?

Comment

Originally posted by Death 40k
                              i was saying that i did not have a comparisson between Muay Thai and Bujinkan/Shotokan so for all i could know Bujinkan/Shotokan could be ten times better than Muay Thai. Although I think that is doubtful i would still recommend trying out as many arts as possible before settling on one

This is off topic but im looking for a martial art school in my area. is there anywhere where in particular where i should post a thread or look for a thread so as to avoid being flamed?
                              STFU noob!!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X