Mental Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental Control

Everyone gets nervous at any moment which you force yourself to rise to an occasion and a new level of performance and risk. I've had different reactions to this fear, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but I don't really have control over it. It's not in me to not try, win or loose, but I don't know if I'll be afraid, or unstoppable.

A bit of info about the experience that brings this question from me.

I spent some time training at a boxing gym (Richard Lord's in Austin TX). Never had any one on one training to work on specific things, we just worked the bags and the abs. After a year or so of that, I thought I was the shit and would spar, got pummeled by some guy with african fury named DG, he humbled me, I basically was so scared that I turtled and took my beating, cept for one good left, mauahah. The next time I sparred, was with Jesus Chavez, and I faired quite well considering, till he cracked my sternum mid round, at which point he went easy on me for mercy.

I couldnt train for a couple months, then had some money problems and moved back home. Since then I've been training my brother and we've been sparring day in and out for over a year. And we got pretty good. But being mostly self taught I thought it was time to gauge our skills against real fighters at Richard Lords Gym.

The day of our test, my brother and I stood there watching round after round of guys slugging the hell out of each other with aggression, and at a faster pace than we seem to go. They seemed to always be moving forward and swinging, without fear or compassion. My brother and I, usually take our time, choosing our shots with much more patience. I was worried for my brother, he usually pursured me, what would he do when he was chased by one of these guys?

I step into the ring against a righty, my first in a long time. I reach out and tap his glove as the bell rings and then boom. I broke out into the fastest footwork and lateral movement I've ever done, picture Muhammed Ali and thats how my feet were going. I remember tagging him with several straight lefts to the face and body and quickly leaving the scene, with a few jabs here and there in the same fashion, it was very easy to hit him it seemed. Now two minutes into the round and I first felt anysign of fatigue from the movement, but I wasnt in control, and I kept moving and striking the same way.

I was so busy moving that I didnt think for one second about a guard and countering and just sticking a stiff jab in his face to make him stop coming. Two minutes and fifty seconds into the round he finally hits me, a straight right into my belly which I didnt catch in time to block or tense for, so it got me good, and the combination of 10 times the movement I normally do and that body shot made me stop moving so fast, at which point I was still not mounting a strong close range defense. And my opponent frustrated and now seeing an opportunity hit me, thru the best left hook to my body he could (I saw him dip and grunt with it) which would have left me in bad shape had the bell not rang at the same moment.

So I call my round a draw, and I'm very disapointed in myself that I wasnt in control of what I was doing, and that I turtled at the last few seconds. I didnt have enough life left to do another round because of it.

Now my younger brother has his turn now.. I was terrified, for him infinately more than I was for myself now at this point. Then I look up and see my brother absolutely clubbing this guy, snapping his super fast jab and making this guy crumble under his heavier hands. And then get nailed with a great shot and chuckle at the guy like we always do when we get nailed. He stood toe to toe and won that round in a couragish fashion I wish I could have.

Never feeling more proud to see my brother show such courage, and the same shame on myself that I was afraid of this human who had I just face I wouldn't have a rotten feeling in my belly that will only be remedied when I go back to the gym and spar again.

We got good critism from the gym members, cept they think I cant take it to the body, which I will be sure to take all the beating I can next time and shrug it off to show them and myself.

I guess I mostly just wanted to tell this to you guys, and get it off my chest, let you know a bit about me and all.

But do you guys have any similar experiences and methods etc? I'd love to hear.
    Last edited by Jammin James; 7/06/2004 9:21pm, .

haha your a sissy man.

Comment

Originally posted by meowrsx
      haha your a sissy man.

Maybe so, but I'll still be there to take my beatings and give em.

My problem is, I'm not in the shape to dance like that for 12 rounds, I can either run, or if I'm focused I can take and give fearlessly, I know It'll go away with time, and move diversity in sparring partners, as 1500 rounds with one guy made me feel too comfortable.

They gonna make movies about me some day, ya bastard hehe.
      Last edited by Jammin James; 7/06/2004 9:30pm, .

Comment

I used to go to Lords in Austin.

Comment

Damn, I thought this was going to be about ninjas.
          Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
          Scramble Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
            I used to go to Lords in Austin.
            Your name wouldnt happen to be King, by a 1 in a million chance?

When did ya go there?

Comment

i'm not sure about all of you guys but when im getting ready for a fight i get someone to hit me quite hard in the side of the head. it seems to get my adrenaline going and i feel less pain after that.

Comment

My problem is the adrenalen, I'm use to sparring calmly, and in some situations I can't control it and it can have bad effects. The same thing happens to me sometimes when I play music for people. I just dont know how I can stop it once I begin to feel it. I'll go through with whatever the challenge, but it isnt easy when I loose the calmness. I end up just reacting and not thinking so much, I'll survive.

I do agree with ya somewhat about getting hit. It usually relaxes me though instead of adrenalen, in much the same way its easier to dig a hole after your hands are dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammin James
                  My problem is the adrenalen, I'm use to sparring calmly, and in some situations I can't control it and it can have bad effects. The same thing happens to me sometimes when I play music for people. I just dont know how I can stop it once I begin to feel it. I'll go through with whatever the challenge, but it isnt easy when I loose the calmness. I end up just reacting and not thinking so much, I'll survive.

Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Nope. My name is not King.

Are you talking about King Webb?

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                      Nope. My name is not King.

Are you talking about King Webb?

I never knew his last name... or anyone elses there cept Richard's. He use to work and live(i think) at the gym. Real nice guy. He loved Tom Petty...and Halley Berry.

Did you move or something?

Comment

J. James,

I liked the story - good on ya to post it.

I have a similar problem - been told that the only cure is take and give lots of beatings.

Cheers!

Comment

With me, its the first punch, throwing it and getting it.
                          Once that is out of the way, its time to have fun.
                          I am usually more nervous before the matchs, never during.
                          I found that by not really "caring" one way or another helps, it keeps you lose and relaxed.
                          I used to get "psyched", byt that did more harm than good more often than not.
                          I don't really picture my opponent, I just do what I do best, regardless of who I am fighting.
                          I fight my own fight and stick to it.
                          Relaxed is the key.

Comment

Yes, I have not lived in Austin since 99. I used to go to Lords infrequently to get some sparring time in. Is it still on Lamar?

Comment

Originally posted by ronin69

I found that by not really "caring" one way or another helps, it keeps you lose and relaxed.
                              You are a nihilist, Ronoski!
                              YOU BELIVE IN NUTHINK!
                              Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X