Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing Up Rich

What the hell is that like?

Define "rich." My child hood consisted of a constantly changing lifestyle, comfortable poor comfortable poor as my mother and father battled for custody. By comfortable I'd say, oh, $300,000-$500,000 a year.
    Brendayan
    Fury's Edge
    Morell-Thule

Comment

Compared to how I grew up, that's fucking rich. I guess it's all relative. Compared to most people in the world, the majority of Americans would be considered rich.

Comment

Remember, it's not how much you make that makes you rich, it's how much you keep (or invest). A person with a $500,000 annual salary and $600,000 in annual expenses is in a worse situation than someone with a $20,000 salary and $15,000 in expenses. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" and you will learn that there are many millionaires who live lower middle class lifestyles. I, however, would very much like that $300,000 to $500,000 salary myself.
        People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
          They are, but you only get expenses like that from living in luxury.
          Or from trying to grow a new business, or run a large farm. In most cases, however, you are correct.
          People of integrity expect to be believed. When they're not, they let time prove them right.

Comment

My coke habit costs that much.
            "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
            West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
            (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

Where'd that posh bastard from Surrey get to?
              Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
              Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

Well I grew up in extreme working class conditions but now earn a salary comparable to the one mentioned above. But lets face it 40% goes into tax 30% goes into living expenses which means you save about 20% of your salary - so I was comfortably paying off my mortgage like a lot of people on lesser salaries - sure I've got a bigger DVD collection than most people and probably a better entertainment system but for the most part I'm not that better or worse off than anyone else.

Through a weird twist of fate related to my wife, we have suddenly inherited a lump sum in the 7 figure category. Throughout all of this - I gotta admit my lifestyle hasn't changed very much since I was poor. I still eat pot noodles for lunch.

Comment

also depends where you live. 300,000 in AR would make you able to live like a fucking king

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                    300-500,000 is basically rich. Theres nothing reasonable that you couldn't get.
                    Bill Clinton's "tax the rich" plan was BY FAR less than an annual salary $300k .. BY FAR.

For someone to grow up Rich .. the amount per year depends on how old you are. IF someone posting here is about 50, well then you could probably drop "rich" down to about 150, 175 thousand.

Comment

So how come some of you well off wankers aren't supporting members yet?

Originally posted by Leodom
                      Remember, it's not how much you make that makes you rich, it's how much you keep (or invest). A person with a $500,000 annual salary and $600,000 in annual expenses is in a worse situation than someone with a $20,000 salary and $15,000 in expenses. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" and you will learn that there are many millionaires who live lower middle class lifestyles. I, however, would very much like that $300,000 to $500,000 salary myself.
                      I have the book, maybe I should read more of it.
                      But I got out of it so far what you said.

Stop/minimise extravagent spending and put money away for future usage.

You CAN change your lifestyle, though no one wants to go lower once they've had a taste of the affluent lifestyle.
                      Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I didn't and still don't see any of that money. Surprisingly enough, there wasn't much differences in my lifestyle while constantly changing from rich to poor. I was happy sometimes during both stages and sad sometimes. Money ain't shit.
                        Brendayan
                        Fury's Edge
                        Morell-Thule

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X