wearing in new heavy bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wearing in new heavy bag

Turns out I was able to get a heavy bag, for anyone who read the alternatives thread. In the beginning, is it normal for there to be some areas on the bag that are really concentrated and hard, especially on the bottom? Toward the bottom 4th of it, there are some areas that feel like im hitting granulated lead, and its not quite comfy.

Re: wearing in new heavy bag

Originally posted by meowrsx
    Turns out I was able to get a heavy bag, for anyone who read the alternatives thread. In the beginning, is it normal for there to be some areas on the bag that are really concentrated and hard, especially on the bottom? Toward the bottom 4th of it, there are some areas that feel like im hitting granulated lead, and its not quite comfy.
    LOL, I've posted the same exact question on a forum a couple years ago. The suggestions I had were to alter where you strike, and to hang the heavy bag upside down for awhile.

Comment

Yeah, without changing something(where you strike, how it's hung) the bag isn't going to get much softer. If it was stuffed with padding, and it was hard in the middle it might, but the bottom is probably form the padding packing down, in which case, get harder shins.
      Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Comment

well, i don't really feel like flipping the bag upside down right now, so I guess I'll practice technique on one side and condition like a bull on the other.

Comment

You can take a bat to the hard spots too.

Comment

If it's a Thai bag it's SUPPOSED to be hard on the bottom! Where do you think the shin conditioning comes from? Kick low to practice leg kicks and shin conditioning. It should start to get harder at around thigh height and be brutal on the very bottom.

Comment

i know that it's supposed to be hard, but not THIS hard in certain places. kicking the bags at my school give me a good idea of what it should be like. but theres certain little patches of satanic shin-braking action while other sides are softer. i think i'll go at it with a bokken or some sticks or a bat.

Comment

That sounds like fun in its own right.

Comment

Is it a used bag?
                  and
                  Are the bags at your school Thai bags or regular boxing type heavy bags?

Comment

i used to think the thai bag in my school was brutal near the bottom. then i went to thailand. ouch. like kicking a bag full of rocks. oh and they also kick large truck tires to condition their shins there.
                    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

A decent bag will just get harder at the bottom over time.

The more you kick it in the middle, the more the stuff in the middle gets packed down to the bottom. If you look for the softer parts to kick you'll just exacerbate the 'problem'. The best way to avoid the bottom getting too hard without flipping the bag is to concentrate on kicking the shit out of it on the bottom where it's hardest. :)
                      Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

weeeee. it's not used, and my school uses revgear 6ft banana bags. i think my problem is, my bag is century :(..... otherwise, it's actually been holding up rather well.

Comment

I'm not a fan of water bags, but they won't have that same problem, some people like them because they're easy on the wrist and hands..

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X