Blocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking

What do you guys think of blocking? I think it seems odd to me that it is not espoused more in MMA competition that blocks are effective. I mean obviously a perfectly executed upward block or something is going to be near impossible to execute but im talking about a fast reaction equivalent to stop an attack and redirect its force. It is a huge part of most weapon based combative systems since obviously your probably gonna die if you get hit by a weapon and it is a huge part of most traditional eastern systems. So why isn't it so focused on in MMA competition? It seems to me if an MMA fighter were willing to take another half an hour or so out of his day and practice strictly blocking and thats it they would end up dominating because no body would know how to handle someone who is able to block. Now that is obviously biased and I don't mean to offend and apologize if I have, but seriously why is it that no one blocks in MMA competition yet it is taught so extensively and rigorously in almost all arts that are not based around the ring.

Thoughts? comments?

Re: Blocking

Originally posted by Loredon
    What do you guys think of blocking? I think it seems odd to me that it is not espoused more in MMA competition that blocks are effective. I mean obviously a perfectly executed upward block or something is going to be near impossible to execute but im talking about a fast reaction equivalent to stop an attack and redirect its force. It is a huge part of most weapon based combative systems since obviously your probably gonna die if you get hit by a weapon and it is a huge part of most traditional eastern systems. So why isn't it so focused on in MMA competition? It seems to me if an MMA fighter were willing to take another half an hour or so out of his day and practice strictly blocking and thats it they would end up dominating because no body would know how to handle someone who is able to block. Now that is obviously biased and I don't mean to offend and apologize if I have, but seriously why is it that no one blocks in MMA competition yet it is taught so extensively and rigorously in almost all arts that are not based around the ring.

Thoughts? comments?
    :rolleyes:
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Comment

lollorama. maybe because the old outside block, downward block, blah blah bullshit doesnt work all that well in an actual fight. they depend far too much on an opponent delivering a single strike. slowly. it says in your profile that you do muay thai- wh yare you even asking this question?

Comment

Nothings better than being able to block a whole flurry of punches, but your certainly not going to learn how to do it well with any kinda of practice, except against a resisting opponent.

Comment

You're probably only going to be able to pull off one block (and nothing slow, it has to be short simple and sweet) before the next attack comes that you WONT be able to block. Blocking a whole flurry of punches? Not likely. Block once, and then go in. Dont waste your time trying to block shots. Evasion is a much better tactic anyways when it comes to NOT getting hit.

Comment

Well I can see your defense is shit....
            Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Re: Blocking

they would end up dominating because no body would know how to handle someone who is able to block.
              ?! :confused:

why is it that no one blocks in MMA competition yet it is taught so extensively and rigorously in almost all arts that are not based around the ring.
              !?!? :(

How can you as a practitioner of MT and shorin ryu possibky be asking this? :eek:

Comment

Obvious as it may seem, if you are blocking, you aren't hitting.

You want to be a threat, not a hard target.
                If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Comment

Unless you are doing Buddha style.
                  “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

Originally posted by JKing
                    Blocking a whole flurry of punches? Not likely. Block once, and then go in. Dont waste your time trying to block shots. Evasion is a much better tactic anyways when it comes to NOT getting hit.
                    Its actually quite common to block flurries in boxing. Although I agree evasion is a better tactic. A quick block and counter like ya said is the usual, but you do run into a lot of punches this way.

Comment

I was not really talking about blocking a whole flurry of punches more along the line of just one simple and fast block and then go in and strike. If the time is right. I didn't mean to suggest waiting for the strike to come in all the time. Obviously in the ring you must fight from an offensive state of mind but I think the ability to block and the practice of such should be cultivated in sparring.

There are blocks in muay thai, very simple ones that are very effective. Yes I do take Muay Thai and have for about two years still I think it would be beneficial to add more emphasis to blocking in competitions such as these.

I'm just trying to offer an alternative argument here guys not trying to get anyones goat so to speak.

Comment

Maybe my absolute favorite thing I learned in MT was real solid blocking. As soon as grabbing gets involved it doesn't work so well but in the punching game, with gloves on.....I could block well for days. My teacher had a pretty defensive style for MT. Sometimes we'd just block all their shit to tire them out. It worked pretty damn well and I just plain got off on hanging out under the barrage getting knocked around, bouncing off the ropes even. Sometimes some people would tell us to take it easy and that we were sparring too rough but Master Kahm could generally see if you were smiling underneath that guard....
                        Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

I guess its just easier not to block at times.
                          Ghost of Charles Dickens

Comment

*TROLL ALERT*

Comment

What I want to see is someone actually using Gunting and other phillipino limb destructions in MMA or Vale Tudo fights. What happaned to all these guys who could punch an incoming punch and disable their opponent?

In theory Karate 'blocks' should actually be strikes anyway, shouldn't they? Or are we really talking parries here?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X