Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil heel hooks?

Hi,
    I'm going to learning/training heel hooks soon.
    I've read/heard some stuff about heel hooks & to be honest they make me nervous.
    Some people have told me that a problem with heel hooks is that sometimes you don't get a chance to tap & the damage is done.

So I've got some questions I'd like to ask you experienced 'heel hookers'.

How easy is it to wreck your knee?

Can you fight out of a heel hook without wrecking your knee?

Do they do permanent damage or can you recover?

Any other information/tips appreciated.

Cheers Jez:)

A good training partner will just point that he has the hook in and reset, rather than cranking it.

Comment

Re: Evil heel hooks?

Originally posted by Tcell

How easy is it to wreck your knee?
      So fast you won't feel pain before the damage is done.

Can you fight out of a heel hook without wrecking your knee?
      You may be able to spin out of it if they don't secure you properly. You may also be able to yank you foot out, use your other foot to push them back to yank out of it, force your foot farther back so your heel is behind them, or grab onto their Gi and sit up onto them. I'm sure there are several other ways. It also depends from what position they have you.

Do they do permanent damage or can you recover?
      Permanent is relative. It will tear your ligaments along your knee. If it is a complete tear you'll need surgery (probably partial tears you may need it). I know one person it happened to who is still having problems years after it was done to him. It's not cool.

Any other information/tips appreciated.
      A lot of places don't teach them until the student is more advanced and has control. Most tournaments don't allow them for lower ranked divisions. Many schools don't teach them at all. It all depends on the teacher.

I think they are a good technique to know for a real fight situation because if someone has shoes on it is incredibly easy to pull off. I don't try going for them in class because it's too easy to cause damage and I want to get more experience in other areas before I focus on them.

Just be careful. There is a reason so many people are wary of them.

Comment

You just have to be very aware of what your partner is doing; learn to recognize a bunch of setups so you can either A) not get caught or B) tap immediately.
        "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
        -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Comment

I don't like going into great detail. That's Strong Machine's department. Short and sweet, Katana be correct.

Comment

I have found being put in a heel hook isn't really a problem. The problem starts when I try to escape the heel hook by spinning out, and my opponent sees my escape attempt and cranks harder and faster to keep me from getting out. A good heel hook has the legs 'laced' in an over and under fashion so there is no escape, no turning out, and less chance of injury from someone thinking they can roll out.

In all honesty...heel hooks, as dangerous as they are, are not as bad as a reverse heel hook. I think those are THE DEVIL.

And yes, I have heard of a lot of guys taking ugly knee injuries from heel hooks because they didn't realize there isn't a 'muscle group' that resists the torque, so very little pressure is needed to seriously injure someone.

Comment

I have had both my ankles dislocated from heel hooks going from outside to inside, I didn't feel pain at all untill after they cracked about 8 times. We usually avoid the heel hooks to the knee in sparring becasue they are so dangerous.

My biggest tip to someone training with HHs is not to wait for the pain give up. When you feel the lock is on - and if you are very brave / know your partner well - you can wait to feel 'pressure'.

Probably one of the number one reasons this submission is so dangerous to beginners (not just beginners doing it), is that they don't know when to tap. They don't feel pain and then "Pop-pop-pop-pop" . Get out the crutches.

Comment

Heel hooks are bad, mmkay.

Comment

so i should stop practicing them on my girlfriend....yeah?

Comment

no, she deserves it

Comment

Originally posted by J-Lau
                      Heel hooks are bad, mmkay.
                      Mmmmkay....

Comment

heel hooks are teh d3ad;777&!!!!

Comment

you guys are just a bunch of hookers.

Comment

I ain;t touching this.I have a hard time getting guys to position properly for a heelhook when I'im explaining em face to face.
                            I'll say only, they work bnest when
                            1 The attacked leg is bent as much as possible
                            2 You are SQUEEZING the attacked leg between your legs
                            3 You are butt to butt with your opponant
                            4 if the bone of my right wrist is spinning his left heel to my left, then my left forearm should be pushing his left shin in the opposite direction his heel is spinning
                            5 arch your belly forward as you crank
                            6 spin your torso to the side as if you are swinging a baseball bat

Ps
                            Dont believe the hype.
                            They aren't dangerous at all.Try it on your girlfriend or little brother .They'll tell you.
                            And remember a popping sound ain't no big thing.A ripping sound is the one you want.

Comment

OKAY I guess I couldn't resist touching it (in more ways than one) but Omega, you think *I'M* wordy
                              On one tape Roy Harris explains the 26 attributes needed to perform an armbar.
                              Thats just showing off.

Scott Sonnen has written several paragraphs which can be summed up pretty well by saying "Do this".
                              Last edited by Strong Machine; 6/12/2004 7:09pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X