Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kobe Bryant dead at 41. He died with his 13 y.o. daughter in a helicopter accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
    Absolutely the pilot fucked up, from what I can gather. His charge is to safely carry his passengers and/or cargo to their destination.

I'm saying that my spidey sense is telling me that he was coerced into making an unsafe decision, due to a long and close relationship with his employer.
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. How does that all work, as far as the pay. Does he pay per trip or are they on salary? Was it a difference between wanting that pay check or was it more like, I pay you to fly so fly?

It is natural to want to place blame in a situation like this because it allows you to not feel so bad for the victims. I wonder if there is someone hanging around who would know that answer to that, or may have been privy to the conversation.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
      Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. How does that all work, as far as the pay. Does he pay per trip or are they on salary? Was it a difference between wanting that pay check or was it more like, I pay you to fly so fly?

It is natural to want to place blame in a situation like this because it allows you to not feel so bad for the victims. I wonder if there is someone hanging around who would know that answer to that, or may have been privy to the conversation.
      I blame the pilot, based on what we currently know. He made a bad call. Accounts are that he was not a maverick.

They circled over Glendale for like 20 minutes, before requesting Special VFR.

Special VFR is basically just short of declaring an emergency; you're saying that the weather is too bad to continue flying, but you need to get somewhere.

Consider that they passed two airstrips and dozens of helipads before they crashed.

So, he was in a rush to their destination, and was probably a bit complacent, due to making the trip so many times. Understand that they flew between these same two airports back and forth almost daily for years.

There's a lot involved, dollarwise. In a situation like this, he probably had something akin to a retainer with the airline, where overages would be settled on a periodic basis.
      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

When the news was just breaking I saw the crash scene and figured lack of visibility was the primary factor in the crash.

Ultimately, it’s the pilot’s fault. But I also thought of the pressure he must be under. Most people who fly general aviation aircraft do it for fun. When the weather is shitty, they stay in bed that morning.

I can’t imagine what it must be like being Kobe’s pilot....whether he’s pushy about flying or not, how many foggy days in a row are you going to want to tell the boss he doesn’t get to fly today? Dude has a cushy job flying a sweet ass helicopter for Kobe Bryant, probably making a shit load of money. That pressure to fly is probably the root cause of all those deaths.

Comment

You can almost read the pilot’s mind.....

“Visibility sucks today. It’s a shitty day to fly.”

“I don’t want to fly.”

“I don’t want to tell the boss we’re not flying.”

“I’m an instrument rated pilot. I’m supposed to be able to fly under IFR conditions.”

“If I can’t fly him when he wants to fly, he’ll find someone else who can.”

“This is what I get paid for.”

“Fuck it, we’re flying.”

Comment

At the age of 41, the famous NBA basketball player Kobe Bryant was tragically killed. He died on January 26 as a result of the crash of a private helicopter. The athlete took a walk with his 13-year-old daughter Gigi and seven crew members. They all crashed. Vanessa Bryant, the wife of Kobe, and three of their children - Natalia, Bianca and Capri - were not on board.

Kobe Bryant is a legendary American basketball player. He played at the NBA for the Los Angeles Lakers for 20 consecutive seasons.(((

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X