Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kobe Bryant dead at 41. He died with his 13 y.o. daughter in a helicopter accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kobe Bryant dead at 41. He died with his 13 y.o. daughter in a helicopter accident

Three others died as well.

I'll update links as they come for more information.
    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    Three others died as well.

I'll update links as they come for more information.
    I've been following this for a couple of hours, now.

The took off from Santa Ana/John Wayne, went up and circled around Glendale for a bit, and were likely headed for Camarillo. Went down in the Calabasas hills around 9:45 AM.

I've been going through ATC audio to see if they made a distress call of any sort, so far, nothing. There was no flight plan filed. Most likely they were VFR sightseeing, and it does not appear that they asked for flight following.

Aircraft was a Sikorsky S-76 which Bryant "owned," however the tail is registered to Island Express Holding. It's a nice bird, though. Will be interesting to see what went wrong.

Allegedly, Bryant was not the pilot, but he was probably front seat.

From the pics, it was smoky as hell so not sure that VFR would have been a safe paradigm. The crash started another fire, by the way.

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. To all GA pilots: flight following is FREE it doesn't cost you anything more than a couple of button presses, and then ATC has got your back. I can't think of a responsible reason to not use flight following.
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

So he has passed, and now will pass no more.

Comment

There are a vast amount of fake news posts going around including a network of Turkish trolls spamming Bryant's feed with video of a past tragic helicopter accident in Dubai being claimed as definitive video of his death.

Anything for that Like, Retweet, or Follower. Subhuman animals.

This is not going to go the way they think.
        Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/26/2020 4:46pm, .
        '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

I got pretty choked up when I saw one of the videos of him with his daughter. It was clear that he loved her and had invested a huge amount of himself into her development.

Completely heartbreaking. Kareem Abdul Jabar also had some kind words.

Comment

Death toll is now nine, including Bryant and the pilot:

https://apnews.com/98f3978b392cbd3d9143529267b1f1ee
            Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
              Death toll is now nine, including Bryant and the pilot:

I hope there weren't any more kids or young people. This is turning out to be a real heart breaker already.

Comment

Will wait for official reports, but to me, it sounds like 4 teens. Those so far have been named/enumerated: the pilot, Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gigi, a married couple, with one of their daughters, and a brother/in-law to the couple. That leaves 2 unnamed, and you know how they don't like to name kids...

Comment

I hope there weren't any more kids or young people. This is turning out to be a real heart breaker already.
                  If this helps make anyone feel better, I just saw one of the Turkish fake video trolls get doxxed and then destroyed by a vast army of really pissed off NBA fans and their...support team.

I watched the Dubai video, skeptically, but for a few seconds was convinced it could be real (it's video of a rescue helicopter hitting an unseen zip line, spinning out of control, and exploding in a canyon) including the crying of the children watching the video.

Heartless.
                  '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

Comment

One of the unnamed is now named as Christina Mauser, who coached BB at a private school.

Fog seems to be at least part of the problem (not smoke, as I previously opined, but same difference wrt visibility), so maybe they weren't VFR, after all. This report says ATC was on the horn with them, though I was unable to find any audio, yesterday, which I found unusual.

Comment

I think everyone is pissed and scared so, everything is being watched like a hawk. The minute people found out TMZ reported before the authorities contacted his wife and the Police threw shade at TMZ in the press conference, all sources are being real careful right now.

Comment

The LAPD grounded its entire helicopter fleet Sunday morning, presumably before this happened. That says a lot.

Comment

There was shitty fog, and a low ceiling. Kobe wanted to get the fuck where he was going, and probably goaded the pilot into doing something dangerous, like accidentally crashing into a mountain. That is, unfortunately, all.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                            There was shitty fog, and a low ceiling. Kobe wanted to get the fuck where he was going, and probably goaded the pilot into doing something dangerous, like accidentally crashing into a mountain. That is, unfortunately, all.
                            I think it might be a little unfair to assign any guilt to the passengers. Decisions like these are up to the pilot and if he fucked up, he damn well should have known better.

Comment

I think it might be a little unfair to assign any guilt to the passengers. Decisions like these are up to the pilot and if he fucked up, he damn well should have known better.
                              Absolutely the pilot fucked up, from what I can gather. His charge is to safely carry his passengers and/or cargo to their destination.

I'm saying that my spidey sense is telling me that he was coerced into making an unsafe decision, due to a long and close relationship with his employer.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X