X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doofaloofa
    replied
    in other news, 45 want's to end social distancing measures in 14 days

After all, says he, loads of people die in car crashes and we haven't banned people from driving

Leave a comment:

• doofaloofa
    replied
    Reports out of Spain that the army has discovered care homes abandoned by staff and residents dead or dieing

Leave a comment:

• Lily
    replied
    It is a dream driving on the roads in the mornings.

The pharma I work at turned one of our lines to producing hand sanitiser and surface sanitisers overnight (WHO had posted the formulation). Distributed to all employees and boxes of the stuff for us to hand out at our local schools. No logos or branding on the product either so it is not about marketing.

I am going a tiny bit stir crazy at the idea I shouldn’t fly even interstate, so have booked a holiday house in the Blue Mountains about 90 minutes west of Sydney. Will go out for a few bush walks, order as much takeaway to support the local cafes, and relax. Was supposed to have been in Florida for 3 weeks...oh well, another time.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

For false negatives if I understand it correctly. The virus goes through periods of shedding and it is possible to test between those periods and get a false negative. Still if you test everyone who has come in contact with a known patient(and put them in 14 day isolation for good measure) and test everyone that came in contact with them you are going to flatten the curve even if one or two slip through your initial sweep.

Over here, they are converting our now empty hotels into isolation centers. 14days of room service and cable TV if you have to be self isolated. Keeps the tourism economy going and makes people more likely to actually follow isolation(that and the police in the lobby).
    False positives are a mathematical concern with these tests.

Any time you have a conditional probability were the population who have the disease at a given moment in time will be low,

the rate of false positives will be huge,

even for a test that is "90%" accurate or better.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    PSA: When epidemiologists say "flatten the curve" they mean along the X-axis not the Y-axis. Just saying... some folk out there don't seem to have caught on to that yet.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post

There are still reliability issues with the tests.
    For false negatives if I understand it correctly. The virus goes through periods of shedding and it is possible to test between those periods and get a false negative. Still if you test everyone who has come in contact with a known patient(and put them in 14 day isolation for good measure) and test everyone that came in contact with them you are going to flatten the curve even if one or two slip through your initial sweep.

Over here, they are converting our now empty hotels into isolation centers. 14days of room service and cable TV if you have to be self isolated. Keeps the tourism economy going and makes people more likely to actually follow isolation(that and the police in the lobby).

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

I don't see that new testing will be helpful unless they actually decide to test everyone. Over here we are up to testing I think 5000(goal was 7000 but I don't think we got there yet) people per day, with drive through testing stations even, that is while the entire nation has been put in increasing self isolation. The US to my knowledge still only has plans to test those hospitalized and the rich that can afford an expensive procedure, meanwhile you have guys like this tool here that just wander around even when they suspect they may be infected:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/p...ine/index.htmlhttps://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/p...ine/index.html
    There are still reliability issues with the tests.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by submessenger View Post
    According to Orange one and his cadre, the "new test," should be coming out of fast-track approvals this week; also, he thinks economy is going to rubber-band back into action. I kinda want to take him at his word, on those things. This was from yesterday's presser, btw.
    I don't see that new testing will be helpful unless they actually decide to test everyone. Over here we are up to testing I think 5000(goal was 7000 but I don't think we got there yet) people per day, with drive through testing stations even, that is while the entire nation has been put in increasing self isolation. The US to my knowledge still only has plans to test those hospitalized and the rich that can afford an expensive procedure, meanwhile you have guys like this tool here that just wander around even when they suspect they may be infected:

Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky on Monday defended his decision to not self-quarantine while he awaited the results of his coronavirus test, a move that has been met with criticism and concern after he announced a day earlier that he had tested positive for the virus.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/p...ine/index.htmlhttps://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/p...ine/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Diesel_tke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    Well, for her, sure but for other people going to work who are contagious, then testing is still a good idea to protect the other workers.
    Yep, I agree. Just thought it was funny that her doc wasn't on board.

Leave a comment:

• Dung Beatles
    replied
    Well, for her, sure but for other people going to work who are contagious, then testing is still a good idea to protect the other workers.

Leave a comment:

• Diesel_tke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    I want to call this as being close enough to the functional bottom that it doesn't matter much but if the country doesn't return to work soon, we're in a world of shit. The longer we wait, the more damage we do. Like instead of 2 years, we could be looking at 5 years.

Stimulus plans don't mean shit if people aren't going to work and buying stuff.

Trump got at least that much right. I don't know if we can afford not to go back to work. The fastest way through this is massive ramping up of testing.

Everyone that goes to work needs to be tested before going in the front door. We need millions of those 10 minute quick IgM tests they are using in China.

Fuck $1000 checks to everyone, we need a fucking fuckton of fast testing kits. That's the only way we get through this shit without risking an even worse collapse.
    On the flip side, I had an employee who was in contact with someone who was positive and having symptoms and her doctor told her not to bother getting tested because it wouldn't change her treatment. So she didn't.

Leave a comment:

• submessenger
    replied
    According to Orange one and his cadre, the "new test," should be coming out of fast-track approvals this week; also, he thinks economy is going to rubber-band back into action. I kinda want to take him at his word, on those things. This was from yesterday's presser, btw.

Leave a comment:

• Dung Beatles
    replied
    I want to call this as being close enough to the functional bottom that it doesn't matter much but if the country doesn't return to work soon, we're in a world of shit. The longer we wait, the more damage we do. Like instead of 2 years, we could be looking at 5 years.

Stimulus plans don't mean shit if people aren't going to work and buying stuff.

Trump got at least that much right. I don't know if we can afford not to go back to work. The fastest way through this is massive ramping up of testing.

Everyone that goes to work needs to be tested before going in the front door. We need millions of those 10 minute quick IgM tests they are using in China.

Fuck $1000 checks to everyone, we need a fucking fuckton of fast testing kits. That's the only way we get through this shit without risking an even worse collapse.

Leave a comment:

• Dung Beatles
    replied
    Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post

Who here has ever seen a condensor with an insulated covering? I'll admit to being sucked up initially but notified by DB of the actual function of the equipment pictured.

I've a background in thermodynamics and HVAC in an earlier life. At the tech level only.

Still, someone with a "scientist" tag never had a clue.
    There are two condenser coils in that picture but only one is jacketed, as well as using an insulated covering because it is chilled via an external water chiller that continually circulates cooling solution at 3 degrees Celsius. The large reservoir on the end chills and condenses the circulating CO2 from gas back to liquid form. They sit above the large reservoir in the back.

Leave a comment:

• submessenger
    commented on 's reply
    I think he changed his profile pic to practice social distancing.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X