Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jnp
    replied
    SOME HELPFUL ADVICE FROM A SEASONED EXPERT IN MOLECUAR VIROLOGY ON HOW TO STAY AS HEALTHY AS POSSIBLE THROUGHOUT THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC (courtesy of Mike McDermott):

Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic
    Dear Colleagues,

As some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:
    1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
    2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
    3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
    4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
    5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
    6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
    7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
    1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
    Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon.
    This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
    2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
    3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
    4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    The people who died in WA were all elderly,and I believe at the same assisted living center.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post

What's going to happen is my employees are going to get it from their family and then they're going to come to work sick. That's how it's going to spread. Santizer won't help much because everyone shares hand tools and work stations.
    Your immune system back up to snuff?

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied

What's going to happen is my employees are going to get it from their family and then they're going to come to work sick. That's how it's going to spread. Santizer won't help much because everyone shares hand tools and work stations.
    Probably a good idea to tell anyone who feels even mild cold symptoms to stay home, but even then the virus is persistent at attaching itself to surfaces. Person gets sick, gets better, and then brings their coronavirus laden jacket etc into work.

Might be a good idea to invest in some of those disinfecting wipes like the ones used for gym machines, as long as the chemicals don't affect your processes.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by submessenger View Post

This seems like FUD. The same set of headlines which is decrying 6 dead also says it's been in the continental US for over 6 weeks.
    This is expected though because of the geometric infection rate, which is still pretty stable.

The issue is the vast majority of people who are exposed will get infected but with mild to moderate symptoms. A lot of these may not seek treatment, and because the virus sticks to surfaces their homes will become little petri dishes, infecting visitors. Those who don't stay home will bring the virus mobile and that's how community spreads bloom, same as with influenza.
    ​​​​​​
    The mortality rate is still around 2-3:100, and the infection rate is slow but steady, so deaths will trickle upwards until they start to trend up the same way the flu works every season. But COVID19 has already killed more people than SARS and MERS combined. Right now it could be on track to become like H1N1 (swine flu) which killed hundreds of thousands in the 2009 pandemic.

The bad news is this is going to hit places like elder care and outpatient clinics the hardest.

The good news is people who get infected and survive (98%) will become immunized, and that's our best shot at a vaccine.

​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Dung Beatles
    replied
    Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

These instructions are especially important for your employees working with dirt, fertilizer, etc.

Leave a comment:

• submessenger
    replied
    Probably a lot sooner, and the death toll tripled overnight. Seattle may turn out to be the first major city hit in the US, and it could get ugly fast.
    This seems like FUD. The same set of headlines which is decrying 6 dead also says it's been in the continental US for over 6 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    8 cases in Washington state as of last night, 13 as of today. (Edit: 2 fatalities)

My guess is that it will be all over my county, Vancouver BC and Seattle by the end of next month.
    Probably a lot sooner, and the death toll tripled overnight. Seattle may turn out to be the first major city hit in the US, and it could get ugly fast.

Best advice I can give man, tell everyone you know to wash their hands according to CDC guidelines (20s, lather up, get under the nails etc).

Use hand sanitizer that's at least 60% alcohol.

Keep your fingernail trimmed short.

Tell people to cough into their elbow, not their hands. Novel coronavirus can lie dormant on surfaces for a long time.

These instructions are especially important for your employees working with dirt, fertilizer, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Dung Beatles
    replied
    8 cases in Washington state as of last night, 13 as of today. (Edit: 2 fatalities)

My guess is that it will be all over my county, Vancouver BC and Seattle by the end of next month.

Leave a comment:

• jnp
    replied
    The Trump administration has ordered an independent investigation of the lab.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Speaking of masks, I wanted to get back to the stockpiling of surgical masks.

Per the CDC, masks are requires for PUI or confirmed infections. If you go to a hospital or clinic right now with any symptoms, you're getting a mask no question.

They will NOT prevent you from getting the virus. It is too small.

But according someone I just spoke to, the CDC has had Amazon put a freeze on surgical mask sales to prevent stockpiling and ensure stock will be available if a pandemic breaks out.

I can't confirm this yet but if true, suggests the CDC is even more concerned than they've let on. And it makes sense, just last week we were at "will become community virus someday" and within days we were already past, now with 3 confirmed community cases in two distant states.

Leave a comment:

• AprilRains
    replied
    Oh, I'm fine with your stratagem. I just like to call things by their literal names.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by AprilRains View Post
    Which mainly appears to consist of citing the vow before making a hit-and-run comment on politics. It doesn't stop you from dropping hot takes; it merely spares you the need to defend them.
    Pointing out mortality rate misinformation is apolitical, it affects all people regardless of party and increases risk.

From now on I'll just use the nonpartisan "Individual 1" if that pleases your senses.

Leave a comment:

• AprilRains
    replied

I'm taking a vow of celibacy from discussing politics online,
    Which mainly appears to consist of citing the vow before making a hit-and-run comment on politics. It doesn't stop you from dropping hot takes; it merely spares you the need to defend them.

Leave a comment:

• W. Rabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by jnp View Post
    I'm taking a vow of celibacy from discussing politics online, but I will say this, totally expected.

Watching him try to "correct" Sanjay Gupta on the mortality rate of the flu vs coronavirus was a sign of things to come. First it was generals now doctors. Stable genius.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X