Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steven King vs. twITter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    Damn it, I did. Sorry.
    I thought my catch up list grew. I never read On Writing, but everything else has been read up to the Mercedes Trilogy. I own them, but broke my novel reading ability in 2012.

    Originally posted by submessenger View Post
    I read Talisman before Gunslinger... that may color my perspective, a bit. But, when he was writing them vs. when they were published? Who knows?

    Also, haven't yet read 7. My reading backlog is impressively large. I guess we should put spoiler alerts in the thread title, hehe. From a Buick 8 was what I thought you were referencing.
    vague it is then, but it isn’t a Major plot point.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
      I don't know if anyone is following this, but I find it hilarious. King is getting eaten by Twitter users over a comment that he wouldn't use diversity in deciding merit for the Oscars.

      https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...181036444.html

      The comments on Twitter are fantastic.

      Comment


        #18
        Just out of curiosity are these not slightly different things?
        I have such a hard time keeping up with all these various identity politics things, and I suppose the fact I work at a University now that I should have had more training on the matter.
        I get that everyone has some amount of unconscious biases I would be harder pressed to make the statement that everyone is bigoted but I suppose it could be argued indeed we are?

        Comment


          #19
          Wait....... so people want to win even though they're not the best?

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            Just out of curiosity are these not slightly different things?
            I have such a hard time keeping up with all these various identity politics things, and I suppose the fact I work at a University now that I should have had more training on the matter.
            I get that everyone has some amount of unconscious biases I would be harder pressed to make the statement that everyone is bigoted but I suppose it could be argued indeed we are?
            I wouldn’t and have said it.
            Would you rather use prejudice?

            I actually find the evolution and use of this newer psychology interesting. Had a longer post, but can’t be bothered parsing semantics.

            Back on topic, he’s right, like I said above.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              Just out of curiosity are these not slightly different things?
              I have such a hard time keeping up with all these various identity politics things, and I suppose the fact I work at a University now that I should have had more training on the matter.
              I get that everyone has some amount of unconscious biases I would be harder pressed to make the statement that everyone is bigoted but I suppose it could be argued indeed we are?
              The problem liberals are having with the Oscars is that you can't expect white judges to be able to appreciate the subtle nuances that delivery mass appeal of the products they are asked to appraise.

              You wouldn't ask the producers of the Grand Old Opry to host the BET music awards would you?

              I get that we are one nation and should appreciate our entire American heritage diaspora but they don't understand that it's different from person to person based on their cultural experiences. I have a lot of shared cultural experiences with anyone else that was raised in America but don't ask me to appraise the quality of Hip Hop music or a movie about Rich Asians like I'm some sort of expert on the matter able to appreciate all aspects of the story. But if there's ever an accurate movie about growing up anachronistically backwards or pot smoking red necks in the deep south I'm sure I'll give it shockingly high marks.

              So yeah, the Oscars are crippled and won't ever be able to appreciate all the art that gets made from year to year. Maybe they should start a new award show that showcases diversity instead and then snub the fuck out of the Academy for a change?
              "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                Wait....... so people want to win even though they're not the best?
                That's Rayce-ist!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post

                  Maybe they should start a new award show that showcases diversity instead and then snub the fuck out of the Academy for a change?
                  They already have something like that in the music business. They call it the Soul Train Music Awards and they typically kill each other afterwards.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Devil View Post
                    They already have something like that in the music business. They call it the Soul Train Music Awards and they typically kill each other afterwards.
                    It's the Soul Train......!!!!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Devil View Post
                      They already have something like that in the music business. They call it the Soul Train Music Awards and they typically kill each other afterwards.
                      Well, that's one way to boost ratings.
                      "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                        Wait....... so people want to win even though they're not the best?
                        They want the winners to correlate with their agenda.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Some of King’s books make it hard to tell the time period- it’ll kinda seem like maybe the 1960s, then a character will Google something on their phone. Of course the politics of such a man will be off.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                            They want the winners to correlate with their agenda.

                            Comment

                            Collapse

                            Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                            Working...
                            X