Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gregaquaman has a Right to talk about Rights, and it is my Privilege

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Also from my article

    And here we see you cherry-picking data. The 19% figure related specifically to the State of Queensland.

    You've also completely inferred the "not categorizable as lightning strikes" to fit your own bias. This doesn't appear in the article at all. What it does say is:

    The 19% also refers to total number of individual fires attended to by fire services. This is misleading as it treats a deliberalty lit fire in a rubbish bin the same as an uncontrollable wildfire.

    Here's a definition from the actual study that the above report references:

    Whilst I don't dispute those numbers re deliberatly lit fires in total, I do not agree with their applicability to bushfires/wildfires due to the inclusion of metropolitan data.

    You mean media presents things with a bias!? Well I for one am shocked! /sarcasm

    The numbers they are using are being collated by the Rural Fire Services in each State.

    Except where it doesn't. The majority of fires covered by that study occurred in a metropolitan setting. This is a seperate issue.

    Oh I am, and I'm more inclined to be swayed by the numbers collected by the independent fire services. Whatever spin the news services want to put on the numbers is up to them, but the numbers aren't affected.

    Just curious, how many other countries' governments have prepared studies on the prevalance of Australian bushfires?

    Climate change is undeniable factor in our increase bushfire risk. Increased duration and frequency of drought periods, longer fire seasons and smaller weather windows for effective risk mitigation strategies is very real. It is not the only factor, but it definitely is one.

    Yes, in the same way that blaming deliberately lit fires takes some accountability away from certain politicians who refuse to accept the impact of climate change on our fire risk (and their need to fund it in the budget).
    The current year's Australian "bush fires" destroyed over 1,000 homes.

    And many bushfires are created near human settlements by people going into the bush.

    Duh.

    Bush fires are affected by weather, particularly dry seasons, accompanied by wind.

    But we are not suddenly seeing huge bush fires, of a kind not seen in Australian in prior decades.

    In fact, we have seen worse Australian bushfires several times in past decades.

    Now, Australia does have a huge carbon footprint, because it is not just a coal consumer, and is adverse to nuclear power, and nuclear power of course has a much lower carbon footprint that coal, but Australia is also a huge coal producer and exporter.

    So, I am not disagreeing that when it comes to coal, Australia contributes quite a bit to coal consumption in the world.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 1/19/2020 7:18pm, .

    Comment


      Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
      Gonzo is on a roll, literally playing a board game. Or at least he should be.

      What the fuck is this thread about again, anyway? I know it's not climate change.

      Gun rights? Free speech? Somebody help. I'm the moron after all.
      I am posting from my phone between turns.

      The little goblins are slaughtering me in the game,

      and my wife is laughing at me.

      So, all is right in the world in that regard.

      Comment


        Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
        So, 24 actual arsonists in a country of 25M people.

        Just under 1 PPM.

        Not too shabby.
        One lit cigarette, carelessly tossed in the bush, can start a fire that burns down a HUGE number of acres, or square miles of bush via fire, not including smoke issues.

        So, matches, and lit cigarettes, in areas that have bush lands have huge destructive potential as dangerous consumer technologies that must be handled with care.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
          I am posting from my phone between turns.

          The little goblins are slaughtering me in the game,

          and my wife is laughing at me.

          So, all is right in the world in that regard.
          You are authorized to change rules and cheat, you know.

          All warfare is based on deception.

          My sister would always kick my ass at Monopoly, then I found out it was because she was always the banker and would load up with extra $500s.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
            One lit cigarette, carelessly tossed in the bush, can start a fire that burns down a HUGE number of acres, or square miles of bush via fire, not including smoke issues.

            So, matches, and lit cigarettes, in areas that have bush lands have huge destructive potential as dangerous consumer technologies that must be handled with care.
            As I understand those numbers (moron-like comprehension level, mind you) those tossed cigs and matches didn't actually start fires. If they had, the charges upgrade.

            The other violations are for things like people making campfires etc violating restrictions. Again that's straight from the RFS.

            The only logical conclusion we can draw? People are dumb with fire and have been for 10,000 years.

            So what did we learn? Damned if I know. I guess we learned never to do it again.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
              Now, Australia does have a huge carbon footprint, because it is not just a coal consumer, and is adverse to nuclear power, and nuclear power of course has a much lower carbon footprint that coal, but Australia is also a huge coal producer and exporter.

              So, I am not disagreeing that when it comes to coal, Australia contributes quite a bit to coal consumption in the world.
              The worst part of it is that we have something like 25% of the world's uranium reserves and one of (if not the most) favourable climates for mass solar energy production. Yet our governments, one after another, lack the political will and financial nouse to chart a path away from coal.
              2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
              #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

              Comment


                Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                The only logical conclusion we can draw? People are dumb with fire and have been for 10,000 years.

                So what did we learn? Damned if I know. I guess we learned never to do it again.
                Yes.

                Also, the Australian aborigines executed careful and on point environmental management through controlled burns near their settlements.

                The Australians killed off most of the aborigines.

                The Australians have failed to practice the on point environmental culling and care with fire in the bush that the native aborigines did.

                The new age Australians can blame AGW all they want,

                The new age Australians can talk about firearms and smell their own farts all they want,

                But their nanny government might do well to put the same restrictions on matches, lighters, cigarettes, and magnifying glasses that they did with firearms,

                because using their own logic regarding potentially dangerous consumer technologies,

                An Australian with a match, cigarette lighter, or a magnifying glass can fuck things up in a destructive manner that rivals or exceeds the destructive capacity of firearms all day long.

                And, regarding AGW, Australia is a huge coal consumer, coal producer, and shuns nuclear power, which has a much lower carbon footprint than coal, if people are concerned about coal regarding AGW.
                Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 1/19/2020 7:37pm, .

                Comment


                  Crickets are telling me Greg has never had the experience of shooting any type of firearm.

                  Quoted pasts show Gonzo and Wrabbit are still in disagreement about Wrabbit being a shrill schill for AGW.

                  Carry on.
                  Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

                  http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                    One lit cigarette, carelessly tossed in the bush, can start a fire that burns down a HUGE number of acres, or square miles of bush via fire, not including smoke issues.
                    In fact a deliberately lit fire, sparked remotely enough from rural fire services in the right conditions (and in the right direction from a major metropolitan centre) is a massive national security threat.
                    2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
                    #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
                      In fact a deliberately lit fire, sparked remotely enough from rural fire services in the right conditions (and in the right direction from a major metropolitan centre) is a massive national security threat.
                      Yes, this is my point.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                        But their nanny government might do well to put the same restrictions on matches, lighters, cigarettes, and magnifying glasses that they did with firearms,
                        Which would change what exactly though?

                        Similar restrictions would restrict the size of lighters you could purchase (so flame throwers are out) and the capacity of the lighters/match boxes.

                        But unless you had a previous conviction for arson you would free to purchase the lighters and matches and use them.

                        so it might prevent recividist arsonists from lighting a few fires, but everyone else is still free to kill themselves with cigarettes.
                        2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
                        #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                          Yes, this is my point.
                          I thought your point was that it already was, not portentially could.

                          Which is why you are arguing that our "nanny state" government should treat them as being as dangerous as firearms, and restrict them in the same way.

                          Which isn't much of a point, as our restrictions aren't as restrictive as you paint them to be.
                          2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
                          #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
                            I thought your point was that it already was, not portentially could.

                            Which is why you are arguing that our "nanny state" government should treat them as being as dangerous as firearms, and restrict them in the same way.

                            Which isn't much of a point, as our restrictions aren't as restrictive as you paint them to be.
                            The purpose of this thread is not to troll Australia, nor Australians, nor the tragedy of the Australian bush fires.

                            All of that is incidental.

                            The point was to give Greg a thread to make ridiculous, boorish, unsolicited butt-in-sky comments about US firearms, and US freedoms,

                            and Greg’s insinuations that Australia’s way of doing things is better than the US’s.

                            All my posts were true, however, they are designed to point out that Greg’s arguments are ridiculous, and inconsistent, and so is he.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                              Quoted pasts show Gonzo and Wrabbit are still in disagreement about Wrabbit being a shrill schill for AGW.
                              Funny, because the only person to actually bring up AGW first was Gonzo, in Post #119, even though cualltaigh's article wasn't about AGW at all.

                              Gotta spread that misinformation far and wide.

                              Bots will be bots.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
                                In fact a deliberately lit fire, sparked remotely enough from rural fire services in the right conditions (and in the right direction from a major metropolitan centre) is a massive national security threat.
                                Damn, so what's a lightning strike in a remote area like?

                                I'm guessing apocalyptic.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X