Iran War now? Yea or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
    I don't speak for anyone but myself. I wasn't under the impression that anyone actually thought Trump was smart enough to do this job however.

I remember the sequence.

Iranian backed militia killed a 23 year old soldier in Iraq.

We struck the Iranian militia.

The Iranian backed Shiite militia overran the US embassy in Iraq but couldn't gain entry, there were no casualties and no diplomats were present. Embassy filled with US Marines ready and waiting but no shots were exchanged.

In retaliation we killed Iran's #2 psychopath with a drone strike.

Iran responded by carpet bombing two US bases with as yet unknown numbers of US casualties. IF these bases were not evacuated, there could be hundreds of casaultiies.

We don't know yet if there are any casualties but if it's bad then we're at fucking war.
    They didn't carpet bomb. Hyperbole much. They launched rockets. The same damn rockets that they regularly sell to Hamas and give Hezbollah to launch into Israel, and that they themselves have been of late doing from Syria.

As it turns out they are no more effective when launched at the relatively soft targets that US bases are, they still as ineffective. 0 casualties. Read that again: 0 casualties.

Sources:
    https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...uzRy1o7jTiv-bo

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/p...raq/index.html

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/l...-20/index.html
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
      They didn't carpet bomb. Hyperbole much. They launched rockets. The same damn rockets that they regularly sell to Hamas and give Hezbollah to launch into Israel, and that they themselves have been of late doing from Syria.

As it turns out they are no more effective when launched at the relatively soft targets that US bases are, they still as ineffective. 0 casualties. Read that again: 0 casualties.

Sources:

4 missiles failed in flight.....
      That is a terrible success rate....
      I do hope the assessment of 0 casualties is correct it allows every one to stand the fuck down.
      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
      –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Sources:

Shit, well, when I wrote that CNN was saying they shot over a dozen ballistic missiles, not rockets.

I was thinking cruise missiles with heavy payloads not SCUD 2.0s.

Edit: Count me extremely happy nobody got killed.
        Last edited by Dung Beatles; 1/08/2020 1:31am, .
        "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Shit, well, when I wrote that CNN was saying they shot over a dozen ballistic missiles, not rockets.

I was thinking cruise missiles with heavy payloads not SCUD 2.0s.

Edit: Count me extremely happy nobody got killed.
          Well they are "guided" in a very rudimentary sense. The Iranian missiles(all to my knowledge) rely upon a very rudimentary inertial guidance system. Which means you need to know the exact coordinates of launch and target to get an accurate hit. Even then it is more to "within a target window". When they fired them into Israel from Syria, about half of them hit/had terminal ballistics for Arab villages, not the cities that they were aiming for.

Advanced guided missiles are both prohibitively expensive(upward of $2mUSD each) and very technologically advanced. Iran has neither the military budget nor the tech to do that. To put it into relative numbers, the US spends $55 Billion(yes Billion with a B) in its rather limited involvement in Syria each year. Iran's total military budget is $13.2 BillionUSD. In other words the US spends more than 4 times as much on a single side show than Iran does its entire military complex. There is no military parity here. Iran is hard set on picking a fight it cannot win, all because the Ayatollah believes he is the Twelfth Imam and destined to extend Islamic rule over the whole world with the help of Allah.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

The difference between missile and rocket in this sense is semantic. A long range rocket with an arching flightpath is still considered a ballistic missile. Just a rather dumb one, with a longer range than most guided missiles.

The key meaning of ballistic in this sense is that gravity is generally what guides the payload, as opposed to a flight control system as Rabbi T noted.

Cheap, plentiful missile weapons for a show of force. And yes this is definitely bringing back 30 year old memories of SCUDs for me too.
            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/08/2020 5:32am, .

Comment

Trump will sign a deal with Iran before the election.

It will be a great deal , the best deal , nobody in history would have ever done a deal this great before , it will be so much better than Obama's terrible deal , the Iranians will be your great friends they will get on great with Trump, the Ayatollah will have called him that morning to congratulate him and tell him what a wonderful job he did and how terrible Bernie Saunders would be for your country.
              King without a crown

Comment

Ah I wake up to find we are in a possible best case scenario: Typical. Iran. Bitch. Move. If the no casualties figure is correct, and IF the media can hold off tripping over themselves and each other in an effort to make Trump look bad (something he does well enough on his own) for like an hour, thus providing free propaganda to Iran in its attempts to be taken seriously as a world power, this will likely calm down. Ideally Trump will announce a new round of sanctions against Iran and its proxies today, Iran will go back to being its typical shitty self in the shadows, and all of the people who were convinced they heard the drums of Armageddon beating last night can go predict a new date for Trump to end the world.

Special kudos to the EU for their incredibly strong response. Really taking that world leadership thing seriously. What fantastic allies we have.
                "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

They attacked a US Base killing a US CIVILIAN contractor, who apparently was a LINGUIST, injuring soldiers from both countries on base. It is weird watching people saying “oh well, he was soldier.”

My son in law is army and currently deployed.
                  Two good friends are military.
                  I have two uncles who served.
                  A coworker has been deployed twice and he is in his forties.

I do not want to see a war.
                  I do not want any boots on the ground.

That being said, Trump was right. I should go back and get the Benghazi thread. People are hypocrites.

Some of the same media crybabies critical of Obama’s lack of payback, are now crying Trump is terrible. It just shows the repeated hypocrisy of America.

Work a treaty you are a coward.
                  Retaliate you are a coward.

Fuck them and any one of those hypocrites running their mouths now.

Comment

If no further escalation occurs, I am calling schwacking Suleimani still 110% worth it. Iran got a lot of free press and this has tamped down on domestic disturbances somewhat, plus distracted the media from focusing on all that protestor killing they are doing. Also timing of that 737 crash was weird, will be interested to see if there were any inconvenient people on that plane. The press and Congress got to be divisive and will hopefully try to impeach Trump again for war crimes. They got their thing, and I love having my lack of faith in them reinforced. It's an unhealthy guilty pleasure that I should probably address.

And Suleimani got taken off the board. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Comment

As I understand it, at least two failed to detonate as designed.

If this escalates, I hope for swift and decisive resolution, not the shit we pulled in the first Gulf. We can blame it on Trump, after the fact.
                      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Call me simple minded but it still blows my mind that countries that are on the opposite sides of the world are attacking each other and arguing about stuff. Just blows my mind.

What breaks my heart is when I imagine my son or nephew laying in the sand, bleeding out, looking up into the sky as life fades away, while we are all watching a bunch of chicks fight for a guy on TV, or binge watching Netflix.

It's a weird world we live in.
                        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Oh and the EU got to be smug and unhelpful, which is their guilty pleasure/crack. And Iran accelerated their nuclear program, meaning Israel's timetable for bombing the shit out of them got pushed up again.

Seems like a real solid win for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
                            Oh and the EU got to be smug and unhelpful, which is their guilty pleasure/crack. And Iran accelerated their nuclear program, meaning Israel's timetable for bombing the shit out of them got pushed up again.

And the EU want their own army now .

As soon as the UK leaves it will happen.

Then Russia and Iran will have another large military friend controlled by barely if at all elected officials.

When people talk about WW3 happening these days I am of very limited concern.

China, North Korea, Russia , Iran, Syria, none of them want it.

Turkey probably not, Isis definitely do but mostly dead.

The EU of tomorrow? Concerns me deeply.

They have the capacity in my opinion to confront the US as an enemy over Russia and China.

With an EU army I think that could very well embolden Russia and China to take a swing given the right set of circumstances.
                            King without a crown

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius View Post

Israel cant logistically bomb them. The bombers dont have the range. The last time they thought about doing it, they had a deal with Saudi Arabia to refuel at one of their airbases. Iran somehow got hold of that information and made major hay with it in the Arab world.

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
                                And the EU want their own army now .

As soon as the UK leaves it will happen.

Then Russia and Iran will have another large military friend controlled by barely if at all elected officials.

When people talk about WW3 happening these days I am of very limited concern.

China, North Korea, Russia , Iran, Syria, none of them want it.

Turkey probably not, Isis definitely do but mostly dead.

The EU of tomorrow? Concerns me deeply.

They have the capacity in my opinion to confront the US as an enemy over Russia and China.

With an EU army I think that could very well embolden Russia and China to take a swing given the right set of circumstances.
                                I have a different view.

I would be delighted for the EU to have their own army.

And to pay for their own defense.

I am tired of the United States paying several times what the EU countries like France or Germany or other NA/SA countries like Canada pays into NATO.

Let Europe pay for its own "defense" from their trading partners Russia, and China, etc, etc.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X