Resources and tips to help the physically disabled return to paid work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resources and tips to help the physically disabled return to paid work

Here is some useful information, if there is a contact in your circle that is struggling with the mental challenges or practical logistics of finding work revenue opportunities after picking up physical disabilities.

I spend a lot of time helping disabled people on social security and/or VA disability that want to work part time from home, find that work.

Things are different now for the disabled community that want part time work from home opportunities where they can make their own schedules as a disability accommodation.

In large part, because of the Internet.

Anybody that has an Internet connection and can type on a Discord server or play video games has the ability, as a disabled person to find paying work from home, and are able to work.

I help people that are paralyzed, have debilitating cancer, went blind from MS, have horrible neurological diseases etc, get these work opps.

They all have chronic fatigue.
    Many of them have severe chronic pain.
    They all suffer from anxiety and depression related to their illness.
    Some also have PTSD.

Any many of them find they are able to not just work part time over the Internet from home,
    many of them end up working back up to full time work over the Internet from home in the positions that offer flexible make your own hours,
    and end up qualifying for health benefit programs etc.

But, almost all of them can get part time paying work from home if they have the skills to chat on a Discord server, discussion board, and/or have the skills to play multi-player video games -
    because those same activities are all that are required for many of the telecommute jobs.
    To be able to type communications over an Internet connection.
    Or for those that can't type, speak over an Internet connection.

As just one example, native speakers of English are able to provide spoken English tutoring for cash to non-native Speakers willing to pay cash for the lessons.

If one can talk over the Internet, there are lots of those Spoken English paid tutoring opportunities.

There are also a shit ton of companies now that have specific hiring programs to offer physically disabled people part time telecommute work with accommodations and make your own hours to accommodate disabilities.

Here are just a few of those companies that have those programs, that aggressively hire part time work from home physically disabled employees:

Salesforce,
    Amazon,
    American Express,
    Aetna,
    Enterprise Holdings,
    Humana
    Github,
    Apple,
    Mozilla,
    Kaplan,
    Hilton,
    Nielsen,
    Allegis Transcription,
    Xerox,
    United Healthcare,
    Capital One
    CVS

Also, there are various programs that will provide disabled people resources and case workers to find and get into those opportunities.

National Telecommuting Institute– The NTI is a non-profit org that has been helping disabled Americans find work-at-home jobs since 1995.

For those on Social Security disability benefits, My Employment Options – Provides free employment assistance to individuals receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits in the U.S.

NTI also has two job resources – NTI at Home and Land-a-Job, both of which provide extensive guides about Social Security insurance and rehab services with a job database of active open positions across the country.

The VA also has job assistance services, and voc rehab services for vets.

There are many other institutions with job placement services for many kinds of disabilities, including severe disabilities.

Now, I do know people that cannot use the Internet for any length of time, that are in and out of consciousness, that are dying.

I am not saying that every physically disabled person can work, because obviously an advanced ALS person at some point has neither voice nor movement.

But, as part of my mission to help physically disabled people find work,

I would like to offer the counter point to the negative stereotype that physically disabled people with chronic pain or chronic fatigue, or depression and anxiety or PTSD from their illness cannot put in a quality part time or full time work week because of those issues,
    so long as companies offer telecommute Internet empowered, make your own opportunities for them.

And in fact, any physically disabled person who is a native speaker of English with sound English speaking skills who is willing to give spoken English lessons over the Internet to non-native speakers can usually pick up a steady and solid revenue stream.

And, that is just one example of getting creative as a disabled person to put food on one's table in today's Internet environment.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 12/27/2019 5:55am, .

Lao Tzu approves.
    Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by Krampus
      I have had to find and work those jobs while confined to a bed, with legs that were immobile, in chronic pain, with chronic fatigue, watching my fellow leukemia patients die around me when we went to the chemo room.
      But, there are telecommute jobs for disabled people with make your own hours that can talk into an Internet headset and type - or even not be able to type.

And for the blind, and the deaf, and the paralyzed.

It is a matter of connecting the people that need those jobs to them.

And if a physically disabled person does not want those jobs, that is fine.

But, I have a right to object to the factually incorrect narrative that those jobs are not out there for the physically disabled that do want to work, and we can be reliable in those jobs and opportunities when we have the right disability accommodations.

Obviously, an advanced ALS patient who has neither voice nor can move is out.

But for the rest us, it is a matter of connecting the physically disabled person that wants to work with the job placement services, or directly to those opportunities, getting them the accommodation equipment they need, training them up,

and giving them back their chance at dignity, self-sufficient adulting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tramirezmma
        Doc, did you have surgery to get like this, or have you always been able to suck your own dick?
        The first step, Tramirezmma, is to lose that fat gut of yours so you can even see your dick, or your feet.

For the record, you being a fat lazy fuck is not a disability.

Comment

Originally posted by Krampus
          No, I am not, you doofus.

Pregnant women, and people with physical disabilities, and/or chronic illness, constantly have to overcome the negative stereotype that we should not be hired because we won't be reliable.

Given the right accommodations, that is often not the case as much or more as it is.

And people that run around only stressing that negative stereotype, make it harder for the rest of us to get employers and clients to hire us.

So piss off.

Now it is clear that you hate the idea of physically disabled people, who may also suffer from chronic pain, chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, and/or PTSD from their illnesses,

doing more to improve their situation, and improve their financial situation,

rather than saying "I can't", or "it's society's fault", or "it's impossible to succeed because of mega corps and rich people" like you do.

Many of those mega corps you hate by the way, are the best friend of physically disabled people that need work from home opportunities that allow flexible schedules,

you self-centered, whiny, ignoramus.
          Right. My wife may or may not be able to work at her current job after she is done with her treatment.

I told her this morning that ours is the most toxic relationship I've ever been in to date, and it's getting more toxic quickly.

In fact, I told her she is the most toxic woman I've ever met.

Who knows how that is going to affect her normal highly energetic self after she is cured.

So ghost, I love you brother, but fuck off with the negative nabob stuff, and grow the fuck up.
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

#LearnToCode
            Okay I don't mean to be as crass as that comes out but I sure as fuck have worked with neurodiverse & physically disabled co-workers that make 6 figures.
            I am not suggesting the actual fix is programming but a professional skill that isn't physical of some kind.
            Or course this is some what insensitive to people that have just become sick, like a cancer patient.

Fun fact I don't actually code
            Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
            –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55
              I loath the billionaire class that is bleeding this country dry.
              I am so sick of this narrative cause its largely false.
              Most billionaires are billionaires from creating new wealth and are in part why the GDP grows every year.
              Most billionaires come around from forming new companies and those companies becoming large.
              or an investor billionaire that became so by providing liquidity to the markets which helps the economy.
              Most Billionaires are not sucking anything dry and a lot of them are very charitable in their contributions.
              I have seen Billionaires contribute very large sums of money to the Oceanography community and other science communities.

Now I wait for your reply from economics that you learned from memes and don't actually understand.
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                #LearnToCode
                Okay I don't mean to be as crass as that comes out but I sure as fuck have worked with neurodiverse & physically disabled co-workers that make 6 figures.
                I am not suggesting the actual fix is programming but a professional skill that isn't physical of some kind.
                Or course this is some what insensitive to people that have just become sick, like a cancer patient.

Fun fact I don't actually code
                There are parallels to grappling and coding.

While it is true that in many cases, there are people who come into those endeavors with superior "natural" attributes,

Those without superior natural attributes may, in either of those activities, often become reasonably good and useful, just by consistently iterating and practicing over ten years with a relentless determination to keep learning and improving.

And in fact, often even with a few years practice, may become reasonably useful compared to those without that practice - not perfect, but often useful in the right levels of challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Krampus View Post

While it is true that in many cases, there are people who come into those endeavors with superior "natural" attributes,

Those without superior natural attributes may, in either of those activities, often become reasonably good and useful, just by consistently iterating and practicing over ten years with a relentless determination to keep learning and improving.

And in fact, often even with a few years practice, may become reasonably useful compared to those without that practice - not perfect, but often useful in the right levels of challenge.
                  I don't want to be insensitive to anyone but we are certainly spiraling more and more toward an economy where you are either a Knowledge worker or your poor.
                  I am going to include the trades as knowledge workers.
                  Its going to be really hard to be a service worker and be middle class because their is no multiplication to your time.
                  Look at this from a bartering angle.
                  If you say Clean houses and you want your car washed. Its a 1 to 1 trade for time.
                  However if I make widgets I can trade those widgets at a much greater rate than the amount of time I took to make them.

Comment

I'm hard put to think of any endeavor that practice doesn't benefit.

Edit

Maybe till broken down and used up (:

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                      Right. My wife may or may not be able to work at her current job after she is done with her treatment.

I told her this morning that ours is the most toxic relationship I've ever been in to date, and it's getting more toxic quickly.

In fact, I told her she is the most toxic woman I've ever met.

Who knows how that is going to affect her normal highly energetic self after she is cured.

So ghost, I love you brother, but fuck off with the negative nabob stuff, and grow the fuck up.
                      If your wife happens to have a long term disability policy,

look into whether it is "Own Occupation",

or "Any Occupation" / "Gainful Occupational",

and/or if there is a two year period before it transitions from own occ to gainful occ.

Own occupation policies provide benefits if you cannot perform your own occupation even if you can perform another.

Gainful Occupation and Any Occupation policies don't pay out if you can still bag groceries etc. but cannot work your former profession.

A lot of disability policies are Own Occ for two years and then switch to Any Occ.

A lot of disability policies allow you to earn extra money so long as it does not exceed a threshold, and still get benefits.

If the disability policy was private and paid for with after tax funds, the benefits may be tax free.

If the disability policy was employer provided and paid for with pre-taxed dollars, the benefit checks will likely be taxed as payroll checks would.

If she has to apply to Social Security Disability, it is common to be declined once or twice, even for fairly serious disabilities.

Also Disability Policy benefit checks and Social Security Disability benefit checks typically do not "stack", but usually any Social Security Disability Benefit check paid out will be subtracted from any Disability policy check paid out each month.

If she has a short term disability policy, get the paperwork ready while you both are stronger rather than shagged out as the journey progresses.

Good luck, and hang in there.
                      Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 12/27/2019 11:57am, .

Comment

Originally posted by anthracite
                        While I feel I've stepped in shit wading in here, I intend to pass the information Gonzo posted to a lifelong friend. One who has had at least seven back surgeries, partial and full knee replacement, both shoulders and this year, open heart surgery. Pretty sure I'm forgetting others though I've been the one to drive him there and back for most.

He's a month older than me so no spring chicken.

@ghost-

You see stalking. I see a challenge. We both care.
                        Those of us who do not belong to the permanent victim class see it differently.

We are all biased one way or the other.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by anthracite
                          I find myself suddenly very tired and wanting to go back to sleep. But, have committed to completing a job. But, going to go ahead and lay back down for awhile before tackling the day's duties.

Depression is mind fuck. If you let it win.
                          Sharpen the axe, Joe. You are good at sharpening !

Comment

If your wife happens to have a long term disability policy,

look into whether it is "Own Occupation",

or "Any Occupation" / "Gainful Occupational",

and/or if there is a two year period before it transitions from own occ to gainful occ.

Own occupation policies provide benefits if you cannot perform your own occupation even if you can perform another.

Gainful Occupation and Any Occupation policies don't pay out if you can still bag groceries etc. but cannot work your former profession.

A lot of disability policies are Own Occ for two years and then switch to Any Occ.

A lot of disability policies allow you to earn extra money so long as it does not exceed a threshold, and still get benefits.

If the disability policy was private and paid for with after tax funds, the benefits may be tax free.

If the disability policy was employer provided and paid for with pre-taxed dollars, the benefit checks will likely be taxed as payroll checks would.

If she has to apply to Social Security Disability, it is common to be declined once or twice, even for fairly serious disabilities.

Also Disability Policy benefit checks and Social Security Disability benefit checks typically do not "stack", but usually any Social Security Disability Benefit check paid out will be subtracted from any Disability policy check paid out each month.

If she has a short term disability policy, get the paperwork ready while you both are stronger rather than shagged out as the journey progresses.

Good luck, and hang in there.
                            Thanks, Gonzo !

I do not think she has disability insurance through her job in the school system, but will check. I do not have one via my job, although I do have full medical and retirement.

She is a tough cookie, and I'm probably being too worried to to her toxicity levels at this point.

Wait, I meant to say STF up you disingenuous, loquacious cunt, stop sucking your own dick to feel better about yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                              Sharpen the axe, Joe. You are good at sharpening !
                              I am working till FedEx delivers and then I'm out of here.

Long machine pass is letting me work on a blade. Thanks!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X