X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapons? Other than firearms.

Knives are very popular in London.

Comment

Handguns are notoriously bad at taking the fight out of threats, but are several orders of magnitude better than most anything else. I'm not big on edged weapons for self defense. Anything less than a sword is not going to be capable of taking off limbs or anything else that will stop a threat quickly. You're trying to put the threat into shock. A knife doesn't do that well in any meaningful timeframe. And then there is the somewhat higher skill level required relative to a firearm.

Probably some combo of taser/stun gun, flashlight, and/or mace is what I would recommend. The former sometimes works to disable a threat, and the latter two sometimes remove the ability of a threat to see you, which allows you to escape. If you have to have a stabby thing, I think something like a half face blades cardio/pneumo spike is a lot better than a knife. It is longer, easier to use, and is harder for a threat to use it against you since it is only stabby and has no cutting edge. It is also pretty useless for multitasking, unlike a knife. And is probably of questionable legality in many places. Short of that, something with ring style retention that allows for a quick slash to the face or belly and will open up large wounds quickly. My advice remains not to carry sharp pointy things for self defense though. I would literally pick a wooden table leg over a knife for self defense.
      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Combat shovels also work well (I think this thread is heading for Trollshido.....)

Comment

A big stick.

You can shave with my knife.
          Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by rnc357 View Post
            Assuming an area where you can’t carry a firearm.
            What are some other easily carried weapons. Opinions. The good, the bad and everything in between?

Im thinking knife and/or OC.
            A big janitor-class set of keys, on multiple rings, on a long chain that you leave partially exposed from a pair of ripped, acid washed Levi 501s.
            '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Pepper spray
              Super bright flashlight...literally blind an MF.
              Knife if legal, for serious situation. Not tactical looking, tho.

Get really good at grappling/creating space.
              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Too vague. Agricultural flail.

Comment

Claw hammer and a pick axe handle all day, every day.
                  Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                    Claw hammer and a pick axe handle all day, every day.

Comment

Weapons can be problematic, use of force rules make most that are not hand guns pretty silly.
                      Learning to fight really is your best option.
                      Being aware of whats going on around you.
                      Making yourself not a target.
                      The real question is what has changed in your life where NOW your looking to arm yourself in a less than effective way?

For the non-lethal weapons I suggest checking out
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNK...aDE7hovBvodpDw
                      They play with a lot of the dumb little things people try and sell you for self defense.

Really I want to get back around, a knife escalates a fight to a level that is largely going to land you in jail in most places, and are the crime statistics so bad where you live that you need that?
                      Their of course are other advantages to carrying a knife they are a great tool.
                      Speaking of which a multi-tool with an easy to deploy locking knife might play better, as it really does show your carrying a tool, that you then used for defense.

Comment

Slough? God be with you my friend, god be with you.
                        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Love the replies.
                          thought it would be a fun little thread, pretty much the response I expected here. I'm actually posting the same question on a firearms related forum just to see what the responses will be. To much time on my hands, I pretty much know what, where, why and when I carry something other than a firearm. Thanks guys.

Comment

It's ball-peen. As in penis.
                            '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Originally posted by rnc357 View Post
                              Love the replies.
                              thought it would be a fun little thread, pretty much the response I expected here. I'm actually posting the same question on a firearms related forum just to see what the responses will be. To much time on my hands, I pretty much know what, where, why and when I carry something other than a firearm. Thanks guys.
                              I'd be interested to hear what you get from a firearms forum.

I think a lot of guys are all too willing to pull out a handgun and point it at another dude for not enough reason.

Or brandish it (which is a misdemeanor around here), if they don't point it (aggravated assault, a felony) right in the other guys face.

For example, if I look out side and somebody is in my truck parked on the street, I'm calling the cops, not going out with my pistol. Same if someone is in my garage (it's not attached to our apartment).

It's not worth the drama to go out and point my pistol at some MF over property. OK, so he decides to come after me unarmed. I'm gonna shoot him/her over breaking into my garage ?

But I know a lot of dudes who would be out there trying to hold the thief for the cops, if they even call the cops in the first place.
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X