Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malibu, El Camino, Ford Fairlane. Don't know how to make this a poll thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    I was wondering on the bruised-banana TA set-up (lol) rig if it was just a normal carb setup with some holes drilled discretely somewhere, blower working or not.

On a more serious note, Son 1 has money burning a hole in his pocket and is talking about putting an offy dp manifold and 4 bbl on his old truck. It already has nice headers and a very nice exhaust set up from previous owner.

I suggested he do a compression (static, lol) test first to see if he has enough to warrant the money and labor he will have to put into it). If the compression is good, OK, might be "worth" it. Truck runs strong now, does not burn any oil we can discern, but leaks it, LOL.

In any case, I think he convinced himself to buy new Carter YFA (stock carb), but we found one that has an adjustable main jet. His twice-rebuilt carb is leaking again. That new carb is about 125 bucks.

I admire his restraint, although I can take some credit for it.

Now he has a line on a F250 High Boy for cheap, really cheap. We will probably take a look at it this weekend. His Mom bought a cherry '72 F250 Camper Special (2WD) from the same guy for a great price. Rebuilt 390 and auto tranny, new tires,..He had all the machine shop records for it, parts and labor invoice, etc. Was a pro job. I read through those things and drove it and told her to effing buy it, was a steal.

The idea is he wants to put his 300 L6 into the highboy (they did come that way from the factory). The he has more hauling capacity, a higher ride, but economy and torque of the L6.

That 300 is a hell of a motor. It has peak torque at around 1800 RPM. He pulled a huge horse trailer with the damned thing, only problem was he has no hook up for the trailer brakes.
    Over carbing(going bigger than your engine Cubic inches,cam and intake can support) kills low end torque, hp and causes off idle stumble. The raising of venturi size(carb cfm) causes air velocity to decrease and thus fuel flow as well.
    The Raising of carb size without other engine modifications generally does nothing but hurt low end performance(towing and off the line 0-60 mph). Over carbing is one of the most common things even people who " know what they're doing" do because its easy to do(four bolts and a gas line) and sounds cool to say," yeah I got a holley 750cfm double pumper on it.", and looks cool.
    If you wanna tow leave it alone.
    If you wanna go fast.... Put in a cam and nitrous in.
    The engineers at Ford weren't stupid, they built those right for normal use.

https://www.holley.com/retailer/carbselector/
    Always go smaller if you're in between.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 12/16/2019 8:37am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Hodr View Post
      Over carbing(going bigger than your engine Cubic inches,cam and intake can support) kills low end torque, hp and causes off idle stumble. The raising of venturi size(carb cfm) causes air velocity to decrease and thus fuel flow as well.
      The Raising of carb size without other engine modifications generally does nothing but hurt low end performance(towing and off the line 0-60 mph). Over carbing is one of the most common things even people who " know what they're doing" do because its easy to do(four bolts and a gas line) and sounds cool to say," yeah I got a holley 750cfm double pumper on it.", and looks cool.
      The engineers at Ford weren't stupid they built those right for normal use.

Always go smaller if your in between.
      Nitrous on an original classic engine?? LOL. Might as well just set it on fire to start with. You would have to rebuild that engine from the block out for nitrous. It would be cheaper to buy a purpose built engine at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
        Nitrous on an original classic engine?? LOL. Might as well just set it on fire to start with. You would have to rebuild that engine from the block out for nitrous. It would be cheaper to buy a purpose built engine at that point.
        Nitrous isnt that rough on engines. A 50 to 150 shot isn't a problem on stock shit(depending on displacment)....... but people get greedy.

Comment

Nitrous isnt that rough on engines. A 50 to 150 shot isn't a problem on stock shit(depending on displacment)....... but people get greedy.

If you don't want to watch the video here's the conclusion. If you're going to run a turbo, a blower or nitrous... If you go over a 150 horsepower increase you have to ( well you don't have to do anything, but you're really fucking should.) change your piston end ring Gap or they will expand under the increased Heat and break your piston. From there all sorts of Carnage could unleash in the following microseconds. Smashed heads, broken rods, bent valves, a rod through the intake and the carburetor. We're talking epic failure. You will need a mop and a broom to pick up car parts.
          Last edited by Raycetpfl; 12/16/2019 8:53am, .

Comment

The engineers at Ford weren't stupid, they built those right for normal use.

Always go smaller if you're in between.
            Well, it's time I post the placard up. This is the car show placard they were using.

The parts list is true but I don't believe those dino numbers at all. Or the race time. It's a fun car but it's not that much fun.

The last owner was clearly a bit of a bullshitter.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dung Beatles; 12/16/2019 10:00am, .

Comment

What I want to do is ease that gearing back from 3.50 and put in a 5 speed. I'd like to drive this damn car for fun without spending $20 every time I go out for milk, damn it.

Edit: and put in a different heart with better lungs. This 120 octane, 3 speed C4 transmission business isn't meant for the interstate.
              Last edited by Dung Beatles; 12/16/2019 10:19am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                Aww. No, you found a keeper for sure.

Anybody who uses C&H on a placard takes loving care of their vehicle.

Comment

The car is great. It is a fun and funky little ride. It presently SOUNDS like 415 horsepower but it doesn't drive like 415 horsepower.

It's faster than most cars on the road from 0 to 60 but we didn't have a good place for time trials. We just gassed it behind a local supermarket a couple of times for kicks.

Comment

Well, it's time I post the placard up. This is the car show placard they were using.

The parts list is true but I don't believe those dino numbers at all. Or the race time. It's a fun car but it's not that much fun.

No fucking way does that thing make 450 hp and idle in traffic.

Its idle would be like 2 G and I still would still be hard pressed to believe it.

So at .60 over you're looking at 232.92 cu in. , so at that size your gonna make 350 hp at 1.5 hp per cu in.

In reality you would be lucky to make 1 hp per cu in.

The 2019 corvette makes 1.2 hp per cu inch.

2019 corvette = 378.347 cu inch engine putting out 455 hp

Comment

Its idle would be like 2 G and I still would still be hard pressed to believe it.

So at .60 over you're looking at 232.92 cu in. , so at that size your gonna make 350 hp at 1.5 hp per cu in.

In reality you would be lucky to make 1 hp per cu in.

The 2019 corvette makes 1.2 hp per cu inch.

2019 corvette = 378.347 cu inch engine putting out 455 hp
                      Totally agree. This was some ridiculous bullshit but I don't care. She's in a better home now and I won't be telling any lies about her.

Comment

They put that Calvin sticker from the placard under the hood. It's like 3 feet across.

This guy was really married to running this line of BS.

Comment

They put that Calvin sticker from the placard under the hood. It's like 3 feet across.

This guy was really married to running this line of BS.
                          Just so you know, I was being sarcastic. I loved the comic dearly, but anybody who uses that fucking Calvin pissing decal is a tool.

That goes double if they post here. You know who you are.

So you're really gonna leave it white?

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Hole View Post
                            Just so you know, I was being sarcastic. I loved the comic dearly, but anybody who uses that fucking Calvin pissing decal is a tool.

That goes double if they post here. You know who you are.

So you're really gonna leave it white?
                            Of course. It's a fine paintjob with good paint. Why would I want to pay hard cash to cover up good paint? It's wasteful and unnecessary.

Comment

If you don't want to watch the video here's the conclusion. If you're going to run a turbo, a blower or nitrous... If you go over a 150 horsepower increase you have to ( well you don't have to do anything, but you're really fucking should.) change your piston end ring Gap or they will expand under the increased Heat and break your piston. From there all sorts of Carnage could unleash in the following microseconds. Smashed heads, broken rods, bent valves, a rod through the intake and the carburetor. We're talking epic failure. You will need a mop and a broom to pick up car parts.
                              Is there a table or formula for gap recommendation by piston diameter? Just curious as increasing the gap within a decent tolerance is not something for your average shop.

Comment

Of course. It's a fine paintjob with good paint. Why would I want to pay hard cash to cover up good paint? It's wasteful and unnecessary.
                                Because white cars are ugly?

Seriously I doubt that's even the original coat.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X