Things you didn't know: swimming pools edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you didn't know: swimming pools edition

So, summer is almost upon us, and since I'm now in a climate where I don't "open," my pool year-round, these things have been on my mind, as I prep for the upcoming season.

• The average residential swimming pool holds about 10,000 gallons of water.
    • There are approximately 12 million swimming pools in the US, including residential pools, and public pools; the latter includes "private," pools, like YMCA or your local country club. There's not great data available, but that equates to about 200 billion gallons of water sequestered for recreational purposes. That's enough "fresh," water to nourish an eighth of the planet's human population for an entire year. And, that doesn't include hot tubs.
    • Chlorine is chiefly responsible for cleansing pools, but that's just one part of the cool backyard chemistry. There are other parts, like pH level and cyanuric acid, which, managed correctly, will help keep your pool's chlorine content optimally engaged. By the way, there are several different measures of chlorine content - the "main," test checks for "free chlorine," which is a measure of how much chlorine is not bound to organics or other compounds (e.g. cyanuric acid).
    • Cyanuric acid is frequently called "stabilizer." You can think of it as SPF-50 for chlorine compounds (typically sodium hypochlorite or calcium hypochlorite), preventing the sun from breaking down those compounds before they can become useful in cleansing. CYA is consumed at a very low rate, compared to most chlorine compounds. That means you can easily and accidentally "lock up," your pool, because most retail chlorine contains CYA. If you lock up, these chlorine compounds will no longer be effective.
    • Chlorine will literally tear apart the cell walls of "organics," chiefly algaes and flora, but can also be dangerous to humans and other fauna, when not properly controlled.
    • Chlorine itself doesn't smell. The pungent, eye-watering aroma you associate with swimming pools comes from the reacting of chlorine molecules with nitrogen compounds, like uric acid (a chief component of urine and sweat). So, if a pool "smells like chlorine," you can be sure that it is well used, possibly in more ways than one. This is why you are asked to fresh-water rinse prior to entering public pools (to limit their chlorine consumption), but also why you may wish to shower immediately after exiting the pool or sauna.
    • Ever hear of a "salt pool?" That's just a different chlorine compound being used; and, even though it is sodium chloride, it is not ocean water. Salt pools use an electrolysis device to free the sodium metal from the elemental chlorine, which is then both more effective at attacking organics, and is able to later re-bond to the dissolved sodium, effectively providing a re-usable cleansing agent.

As always, please correct any math or factual errors. The above is mostly from memory, I did look up an odd thing here or there just for fun.
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Swimming pools are killing the ozone layer.

+ farting cattle and people
    Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Swimming pools are a sure sign of white privilege elitism.

AOC nor Bernie approve...
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        Swimming pools are a sure sign of white privilege elitism.

AOC nor Bernie approve...
        My wife has been after me for around twenty years to put in a pool. Another year and daughter #2 graduates HS and will go off to college.

Time to live my dream. Some land and a fishing pond. The wife can swim, lay her aging ass out naked and I don't have to clean and monitor Ph levels.

I am a patient and somewhat lazy man.

Comment

Lost track of threads.....

Comment

Baggy swimming shorts are banned in most French swimming pools. You have to wear speedo's (aka "budgie smugglers"). The French see baggy shorts as unsanitary.

https://www.thegoodlifefrance.com/sp...ols-in-france/

Comment

I used to lifeguard at a pool in Okinawa that still used chlorine gas. That was a little sketchy.
              Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

What took you to Japan?
                "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                  What took you to Japan?
                  \

I'd guess a DC-10...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                    I used to lifeguard at a pool in Okinawa that still used chlorine gas. That was a little sketchy.
                    What base? I think you've answered this before, but old and failing memory.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                      \

I'd guess a DC-10...

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                        We were talking about what took HIM to Okinawa, not you...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
                            What took you to Japan?
                            I went to high school there. My dad was stationed with the 3rd S.R.I.G. for 4 years.

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                            What base? I think you've answered this before, but old and failing memory.
                            My dad was stationed on Camp Hanson, but I lived on Camp Foster. When I was there, they had just build the Foster Towers which were right across the street from the main base. And just down the road from Kubasaki High where I went to school. I lifeguarded at Plaza pool for three years, which was the officer's club pool. Also at the beach when they were short staffed. Then they build a new pool at Kubasaki and I got selected to work there.

I was a pretty good lifeguard. I competed and won multiple events in the lifeguard Olympics and had a pretty good reputation around the island as a swimmer and surfer. Also competed in Track, Cross country, soccer, and football.

All that being said, I was banned from the Officer club for a while because I shaved my head into a Mohawk which wasn't allowed. :D
                            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X