Brazilian woman survives brutal assault with BJJ technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazilian woman survives brutal assault with BJJ technique

Sorry about the sensationalist title - I'm not very good with that. Anyway, it's all over the news here in Brazil: the mother of Rayron Gracie, Elaine Caparroz, survived a brutal attack by a man she was just starting a relationship with - Vinicius Batista Serra, a real maniac there. She was beaten for 4 hours. Her bruised face is all over the news - kind of unnecessary exposition if you ask me, but if you want to check it out, feel free. Watch out, though - I got enough rage for the whole couple of months looking at the pictures of her and her place, blood over the walls, ground and furniture.

BJJ champion and a relative to Mrs. Caparroz, Kyra Gracie spoke about the incident and stated that, since Mrs. Caparroz was used to watching BJJ matches, she might have developed a sense of how to defend herself in that situation, even though she didn't have formal training, and that it might have helped save her life. I believe she might actually be right on that. Authorities have stated that the assaulter tried to strangle her a couple of times, even attacking her arms and biting her, so that she would stop protecting her neck.

Statistically, Brazil is an absolute champion on violence against women. People do care, but they shit themselves if they have to get involved. And there's all sorts of bullshit about this case on the internet - people saying she was asking for it; ultra-religious folks going on about sex, marriage and the life of widows and divorced women; the old talk about the perils of dating over the internet. I understand some remarks - the ones about self defense, awareness, and the dangers of drawing attention or walking alone - may actually be good advice for everyone, especially women, to follow. But the thing that bugs me the most is that this woman was pretty careful about her new relationship. She kept in touch with this Vinicius dude for a couple of months before actually letting him in her house.

Moreover, I think the real issue here is that violence against women happens even if they're more careful than Mrs. Caparroz was. And it's the same situation with children around here. In Brazil, most women and children are assaulted by people they trust - many times by members of the family, relatives and close friends.

So, with the relatives that she has, is this dude going to live long?

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
      So, with the relatives that she has, is this dude going to live long?
      I'm not counting on that. Prison system might actually keep him safe for some time. But on the outside there's too many people who want to beat him up. I count myself among them.

Comment

I shouldn’t have Googled the article. She is lucky to alive. I’m glad for that and she seems like a strong lady for undergoing the violent and prolonged assault and being able to speak about it.

More people should be exposed to articles like this to make them vigilant about their own safety.

Comment

Attacker is a law student, BJJ purple belt and some years ago beat both his disabled brother and his father.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
            Attacker is a law student, BJJ purple belt and some years ago beat both his disabled brother and his father.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post

Comment

I give him a week in the wild before someone does him in.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                  I give him a week in the wild before someone does him in.
                  Did the police catch him?

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                    Did the police catch him?
                    Yes, they did. The attack happened last Saturday night, but he was only arrested on this Monday, 18th. It's just preventive detention, and he will face psychiatric evaluation soon. If the medical board decides he's psychologically unstable, he might stay at a custody hospital instead of a penitentiary. Anyway, it may take years for the process to be completed.

Comment

Brazil is such a violent shithole. Terrible culture. Brazilian men tend to be hotheaded and overly emotional. They have a warped sense of machismo. I’d travel to Brazil about as soon as I’d travel to the Middle East.

Occasionally, I see people seek out BJJ schools that have a Brazilian instructor and my response is always the same.....WHY?

Comment

I wouldn't go that far but its different for sure.

Comment

It’s a running joke on Liveleak......Oh, here’s another machete attack.....guess what country it’s from....Surprise! It’s Brazil!

Comment

I'm sad to admit that's pretty accurate. My country is very big, so violence levels tend to vary a lot from place to place, but "hot headed overly emotional" men is THE standard. Only in the past two hours I've heard about another two cases of men murdering their spouses and commiting suicide right after, and that's in my State alone.
                            Again, there's people trying to change this, but everyday you get more and more news like this, it kind of breaks you down and numbs your senses. Some years ago, the whole country was shook by a brutal crime that happened in a quite calm town in my State, Piaui, about 120 km from the State capital. About four or five male teenagers and one middle-aged man gang-raped four teenage girls, then pushed them off a freaking cliff, 10 meters tall. One of them died in the hospital after a month. The others are damaged for life, some don't want to go back to their hometown. The rapists were all imprisoned, and the only one that decided to cooperate with police investigators was murdered(!) by the others. My teeth clench everytime I write about this.

Comment

Last edited by SLBC; 2/21/2019 1:16pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X