No announcement yet.

Jussie Smollett Is A Liar And Will Be Proven As Such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The police union is not happy with Ms. Foxx, the Chicago DA.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-actor-n987701

Interesting, they let him do a bond forfeiture. That's not something one would usually see in such a...case as this one, 16 felonies, lying to police, etc. And only $10,000 ?

Then there are the potential Federal charges related to mailing white powder. I have not seen anything about those in quite a while.

He was NOT exonerated, they just dropped the charges.

According to the statement, it does not mean prosecutors had any problem with the Chicago Police Department’s investigation of Smollett, who told police on Jan. 29 that he had been beaten up by two masked men in the swanky Streeterville neighborhood while he was out getting food. The actor, who is gay and black, claimed his attackers hurled racist and homophobic slurs before punching him, putting a noose around his neck, and dousing him with what he said was bleach.

“We did not exonerate Mr. Smollett,” Simonton said. “The charges were dropped in return for Mr. Smollett’s agreement to do community service and forfeit his $10,000 bond to the City of Chicago. Without the completion of these terms, the charges would not have been dropped. This outcome was met under the same criteria that would occur for and is available to any defendant with similar circumstances.”

Simonton’s statement came after Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel denounced the Smollett decision as a “whitewash of justice” and Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said his department was blindsided by the move.

Really, they would offer a bond forfeiture to other defendants charged with 16 felonies ?

I somehow seriously doubt that. If someone does some research on felony cases in Chicago, I bet they will not find many bond forfeitures at that level.
    Last edited by BKR; 3/26/2019 6:30pm, .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Read the prosecution's case against Jussie Smollett

From Chicago Tribune
      Read the prosecution's case against Jussie Smollett
      https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html

It gets better.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...313-story.html

Looks like we know why Mayor Emanuel is up in arms over the dismissals.
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...el/3285860002/

https://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2...ot-crn-vpx.cnn
      Last edited by BKR; 3/27/2019 10:36am, .

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Police Release Files on Smollett Investigation

Can be found various places.
        https://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/03/e...partments.html

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aM8...ItTGSARTH/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f6d...9HOEHnK7G/view

Comment

Hey just so you all know it's not Smollett's fault, CNN says so. https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/27/opi...ley/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post

Looks like we know why Mayor Emanuel is up in arms over the dismissals.
            To be fair, I'd be pretty pissed too if I reached out to help someone and it turned out they were running a scam. Former prosecutors tend not to like that kind of thing.

Edit: What am I saying, he wasn't charged so that means he was exonerated right? Oh lordy, the timing of this whole thing was fucking beautiful.
            "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

The police union is not happy with Ms. Foxx, the Chicago DA.
              https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-actor-n987701

Interesting, they let him do a bond forfeiture. That's not something one would usually see in such a...case as this one, 16 felonies, lying to police, etc. And only $10,000 ?

Then there are the potential Federal charges related to mailing white powder. I have not seen anything about those in quite a while.

He was NOT exonerated, they just dropped the charges.

According to the statement, it does not mean prosecutors had any problem with the Chicago Police Department’s investigation of Smollett, who told police on Jan. 29 that he had been beaten up by two masked men in the swanky Streeterville neighborhood while he was out getting food. The actor, who is gay and black, claimed his attackers hurled racist and homophobic slurs before punching him, putting a noose around his neck, and dousing him with what he said was bleach.

“We did not exonerate Mr. Smollett,” Simonton said. “The charges were dropped in return for Mr. Smollett’s agreement to do community service and forfeit his $10,000 bond to the City of Chicago. Without the completion of these terms, the charges would not have been dropped. This outcome was met under the same criteria that would occur for and is available to any defendant with similar circumstances.”

Simonton’s statement came after Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel denounced the Smollett decision as a “whitewash of justice” and Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said his department was blindsided by the move.

Really, they would offer a bond forfeiture to other defendants charged with 16 felonies ?

I somehow seriously doubt that. If someone does some research on felony cases in Chicago, I bet they will not find many bond forfeitures at that level.
              I think Rahm and crew are mad at themselves. In their effort to save face, they went overboard. They went public with their case before court. All they had was a grand jury indictment. OOPS.

It's a nonviolent crime. A prank. He basically led the CPD on a wild goose chase and got off with a big fine (for the average person, not for him) and did some community service.

Years in prison for a first time offense, which was essentially a stupid prank that made the CPD look bad. It was wrong, but they turned around and went all Roman Senate on him, which was two wrongs.

IANAL but that sounds like a DOA prosecution.
              Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/28/2019 10:11am, .

Comment

There was no way he can get a fair trial, because they can't fill a jury with people who haven't already made up their minds.

He's guilty in the "Court of Public Opinion" but in this particular case the CPD did something really unnecessary and short-sighted: they commented in public on an ongoing investigation.

This is why they usually never do that...everything the police say IN PUBLIC about a suspect can and will be used against them in a court of law.

Here's a case where a 19 year old allegedly assaulted an 81 year old man in a MAGA hat, just a few weeks ago.

Every single publicly reported arrest has this note for obvious reasons:

NOTE: We are required by the Rules of Court to include herein a statement explaining that the charges are merely an accusation and that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

https://www.co.somerset.nj.us/Home/C...News/2986/2521

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                  Hey just so you all know it's not Smollett's fault, CNN says so. https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/27/opi...ley/index.html
                  Did you actually read the article?

Or did you just mis-read the title "Jussie Smollett isn't the problem. We are "

"Smollett shouldn't be top of mind, no matter whether he's telling the truth or really staged a phony attack to boost his chances of getting a raise. But he is. That doesn't mean he should be scapegoated for our inability to focus on things far more important. That's our fault, not his."

I agree.

Editor's Note: Issac Bailey was the 2016 James K. Batten Professor of Public Policy at Davidson College. He was a 2014 Harvard University Nieman fellow and is the author of "My Brother Moochie: Regaining Dignity in the Midst of Crime, Poverty, and Racism in the American South" (Other Press). Follow him on Twitter: @ijbailey. The opinions expressed in this commentary are those of the author; view more opinion articles on CNN.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                    To be fair, I'd be pretty pissed too if I reached out to help someone and it turned out they were running a scam. Former prosecutors tend not to like that kind of thing.

Edit: What am I saying, he wasn't charged so that means he was exonerated right? Oh lordy, the timing of this whole thing was fucking beautiful.
                    He was charged with 16 felonies...all were true bill by a grand jury.

He has not been exonerated. They worked out some kind of deal,which to me looks like a bond forfeiture (which amounts to a large fine), and 18 hours of community service, and he was not required to enter a plea.

That is used a lot when truckers get IDAPA (commercial trucking violations). It avoids a ticket on their record, and so avoids them getting a license suspension, and also their insurance won't go up. It's a kind of civil remedy to a criminal (as in misdemeanor) charge.

Any sort of log-book violation, driving too long, etc., for a commercial driver is serious business. Commercial fines are huge compared to regular drivers, and a suspension means you are not working.

As IIF pointed out, once the cops started doing shit on TV, it was a bad sign for prosecution to go very far.

The whole deal is a hot mess at different levels. If Smollett was an average black dude, with no resources, I think we an pretty much guarantee he would be going to jail or prison for quite a while.

Then, there are the allegations of insider influence, plus or minus perhaps the witnesses getting paid off (I'm speculating on that one).

Comment

It's a little misleading to say that he just played a prank on CPD. I mean he went on national television and did this. He called TMZ before he called CPD. He went on good morning America. It's not like he just called CPD and played a prank on them. He made this big deal about of it, claiming all kinds of anti gay, anti black bullshit.

Nope, I don't feel sorry for him. He is not a victim. I hope this new line he is saying about fighting for victims and marginalized people doesn't turn into anything fruitful. I don't give a shit if he goes to jail. But I don't want him to make money off this. I want him working flipping burgers and fries and regretting the bullshit he did.
                      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                        I think Rahm and crew are mad at themselves. In their effort to save face, they went overboard. They went public with their case before court. All they had was a grand jury indictment. OOPS.

It's a nonviolent crime. A prank. He basically led the CPD on a wild goose chase and got off with a big fine (for the average person, not for him) and did some community service.

Years in prison for a first time offense, which was essentially a stupid prank that made the CPD look bad. It was wrong, but they turned around and went all Roman Senate on him, which was two wrongs.

IANAL but that sounds like a DOA prosecution.

Yeah, the cops screwed up for sure in terms of the publicity. As far as prison, I doubt he would have gone if the cops had not gone "roman senate" on him.

He had some significant behind the scenes influencing going on as well. The PA totally screwed up, she should have recused the entire PA office and brought in an outside PA. That does happen.

I thought he would plead to one or two counts, get local jail, and probation, with what we call a withheld judgement in Idaho (deferred prosecution in other places). That way he could have done a successful probation, and had the conviction(s) taken off his record.

They might have even amended charges to misdemeanors, etc.

And yeah, Rahm et al. screwed the pooch on this one. I think this points to incompetency in general on his part (he has demoed that plenty of other times), and on the part of the DA, et al.

I think the police were legit to be pissed off about the crimes allegedly committed, for legit reasons.

Self control is apparently in short supply in Chicago.

Comment

There was no way he can get a fair trial, because they can't fill a jury with people who haven't already made up their minds.

He's guilty in the "Court of Public Opinion" but in this particular case the CPD did something really unnecessary and short-sighted: they commented in public on an ongoing investigation.

This is why they usually never do that...everything the police say IN PUBLIC about a suspect can and will be used against them in a court of law.

Here's a case where a 19 year old allegedly assaulted an 81 year old man in a MAGA hat, just a few weeks ago.

Every single publicly reported arrest has this note for obvious reasons:

NOTE: We are required by the Rules of Court to include herein a statement explaining that the charges are merely an accusation and that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

https://www.co.somerset.nj.us/Home/C...News/2986/2521
                          Yes, that is what the judge instructs the jury as well when he/she reads the information to the jury at a jury trial.

How about this: The cops were in on it the whole time, and purposely went whole-hog on the publicity thing, knowing that it would more or less get Smollett off the hook. Colluded (LOL) with the PA, so to speak.

Comment

"Smollett shouldn't be top of mind, no matter whether he's telling the truth or really staged a phony attack to boost his chances of getting a raise. But he is. That doesn't mean he should be scapegoated for our inability to focus on things far more important. That's our fault, not his."

I agree.

Editor's Note: Issac Bailey was the 2016 James K. Batten Professor of Public Policy at Davidson College. He was a 2014 Harvard University Nieman fellow and is the author of "My Brother Moochie: Regaining Dignity in the Midst of Crime, Poverty, and Racism in the American South" (Other Press). Follow him on Twitter: @ijbailey. The opinions expressed in this commentary are those of the author; view more opinion articles on CNN.
                            It's a cop out by a liberal leaning propaganda machine. They're trying to blow it off. I say fuck them and fuck Smollett.

Oh and before you try to use the excuse of it being an opinion column, keep in mind CNN put that fucking article at the top of their bullshit pile.
                            Last edited by Bneterasedmynam; 3/28/2019 12:13pm, . Reason: Extra point

Comment

He was charged with 16 felonies...all were true bill by a grand jury.
                              Clearly he's guilty as fuck. I'm just making hay because there is so much here that artfully demonstrates the massive differences in Trump claiming exoneration and Smollet achieving a similar end result whereby he can claim he's innocent.

Notable differences in the cases are:
                              1. Smollet did not:
                              A. wage a public disinformation campaign against the prosecutor's office and AG
                              B. have anyone fired in order to end the investigation
                              C. bury the results of the investigation behind executive privilege in a situation
                              D. hand pick the guy that would oversee and direct the prosecutor's investigation.
                              *all of these things would are blatantly illegal for any other government office holder or employee and the only reason they aren't blatantly illegal for the POTUS is because there is no legal precedent for this particular strain of corruption in the executive branch.

I'm not saying you're defending it, I'm just stating that if Smollet had the power to do the things the POTUS did then he'd be able to go on a national media revenge tour as well.

I also think if Team Trump get their hands on an unredacted Mueller Report then it'll be sitting on Putin's desk within 48 hours and I suspect I'm not alone in that line of thought.
                              "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

I agree.

Whataboutism...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X