Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Need some help.

    So my club got some new Fuji Mats. They are really nice, however only a couple of weeks in and they are taking what appears to me to be significant surface damage.


    So aside form gis, and the occasional cretin that doesn't trim his nails, the only thing that goes on these mats are various forms of head gear in various states of disrepair. Is it possible that head gear can be causing that sort of damage? Anyone have any other idea as to what it can be that is causing it?
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

    "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

    #2
    My guess is the gi's. Constant friction.

    Comment


      #3
      Wrong cleaning solution to wipe up some blood or other fluid?

      Any other spots you can take a photo of?
      Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

      http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
        So my club got some new Fuji Mats. They are really nice, however only a couple of weeks in and they are taking what appears to me to be significant surface damage.


        So aside form gis, and the occasional cretin that doesn't trim his nails, the only thing that goes on these mats are various forms of head gear in various states of disrepair. Is it possible that head gear can be causing that sort of damage? Anyone have any other idea as to what it can be that is causing it?
        Looks like a fairly typical scruff mark. Not sure Judo tatami are designed to have hard stuff like head gear used on them. I know shoes can scruff them up pretty quickly. Do people wear wrestling or Sambo shoes on them ?

        It also looks like a spot where someone used bleach to clean up some blood, or other harsh cleaning solution, and did some scrubbing.





        I've seen those before, for sure.
        Falling for Judo since 1980

        "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

        "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

        "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

        Comment


          #5
          Posting from my phone isn't working. I'll post another when I get home.
          Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 1/29/2019 1:04pm, .
          Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

          "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

          Comment


            #6
            OK here is another, different type but happened about the same time
            Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

            "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
              OK here is another, different type but happened about the same time
              That one is definitely some sort of abrasion. IME, jackets do not normally scruff up modern tatami. Doesn't look like a cleaning/scrubbing mark, either.

              I'd say something hard/abrasive caused that.

              I can't say I'm familiar with Fuji tatami, though. They may have a softer surface covering.

              *edit*

              Maybe some sort of raised (sewn-on) patch could cause something like that as well.
              Last edited by BKR; 1/29/2019 1:48pm, .
              Falling for Judo since 1980

              "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

              "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

              "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                OK here is another, different type but happened about the same time
                I’d say someone - probably someone who works or helps out at the gym, moved something heavy over the mat and they dragged it across the mat for a bit.

                Thats a very distinctive scuff mark. You can probably find the matching object somewhere in the gym. It was probably a kid or a woman because they’re notorious for doing stupid shit and just ignoring the damage instead of owning up to it.

                Turn to page 21 to question the gym employees.
                Skip to page 27 to look for the mystery object on your own.
                Skip to page 32 to set a trap for the offender.
                Last edited by Devil; 1/29/2019 1:53pm, .

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm the guy who cleans the mats before and after each training. This occurred during training. Several others kinda like it, have appeared like it. I'm trying to pin it down to either a piece of gear someone(or several someone's is wearing) or something else.
                  Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

                  "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    Looks like a fairly typical scruff mark. Not sure Judo tatami are designed to have hard stuff like head gear used on them. I know shoes can scruff them up pretty quickly. Do people wear wrestling or Sambo shoes on them ?

                    It also looks like a spot where someone used bleach to clean up some blood, or other harsh cleaning solution, and did some scrubbing.





                    I've seen those before, for sure.
                    Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    That one is definitely some sort of abrasion. IME, jackets do not normally scruff up modern tatami. Doesn't look like a cleaning/scrubbing mark, either.

                    I'd say something hard/abrasive caused that.

                    I can't say I'm familiar with Fuji tatami, though. They may have a softer surface covering.

                    *edit*

                    Maybe some sort of raised (sewn-on) patch could cause something like that as well.
                    I'm leaning toward some of the crappy head gear that some of the people wear. Especially as folks continue to wear them after the covers are shredded and the plastic bits are sticking out.
                    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

                    "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I dunno, the 5-6 lines looks a lot like a judo/bjj gi lapel/collar. Hard to tell scale in the pics provided.

                      (edit) maybe even a belt
                      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                        I'm the guy who cleans the mats before and after each training. This occurred during training. Several others kinda like it, have appeared like it. I'm trying to pin it down to either a piece of gear someone(or several someone's is wearing) or something else.
                        Hair clip, wrestling shoe, hard plastic ear guard.
                        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          Hair clip, wrestling shoe, hard plastic ear guard.
                          Hair clips are a definite possibility. Wrestling shoes aren't allowed, that rule came down when I figured out that even my guaranteed no mark Dan Gable Ultimates marked up our old mats. Hard plastic ear guards... yeah we got those too.
                          Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

                          "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Here are some more pictures with keys by the marks for scale:




                            Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

                            "But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Michael,

                              I suggest you get with the owners of the gym and make sure they have a "no hard items" worn on the tatami policy, and that all the instructors enforce it strictly. Mostly from POV of protecting students from injury, as well as keeping the tatami (which are expensive as hell) from getting damaged.
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

                              "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

                              "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

                              "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X