Asbestos is for babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asbestos is for babies

So I'm guessing Johnson and Johnson is going to drop that whole "family company" tag.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/14/busin...tos/index.html

Asbestos seems like a perfect ingredient for baby powder. I guess at least the babies were fire proof, but seriously why asbestos?? Was rat poison too expensive?? I remember I argued that certain giant companies were just plain evil, I think this proves my point.

Talc mine had asbestos in it.
    J&J supposedly knew for decades.
    That's my understanding of it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
      So I'm guessing Johnson and Johnson is going to drop that whole "family company" tag.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/14/busin...tos/index.html

Asbestos seems like a perfect ingredient for baby powder. I guess at least the babies were fire proof, but seriously why asbestos?? Was rat poison too expensive?? I remember I argued that certain giant companies were just plain evil, I think this proves my point.
      Major civil judgments have been awarded for JJ baby powder causing cancer in women's reproductive parts. They started marketing it as a way to "stay fresh", if I recall, to African American women especially.
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Christmas Spirit View Post
        Talc mine had asbestos in it.
        J&J supposedly knew for decades.
        That's my understanding of it.
        Asbestotis much ?

The town of Libby, Montana (about 50 miles from where I sit) had a huge Asbestos mining operation. A particular form of the fibrous stuff is pretty much deadly to breath over time. It's a horrible way to leave this world.

They have essentially stripped all the topsoil away from most places, schools included, and replaced it in Libby. One of the massive superfund projects...

Talc does occur with various sorts of asbestos deposits, to varying degrees. Typically, any impurities are carefully taken out of the Talc, because it degrades performance.

I wonder how much of the bad stuff is actually in there.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          Major civil judgments have been awarded for JJ baby powder causing cancer in women's reproductive parts. They started marketing it as a way to "stay fresh", if I recall, to African American women especially.

There are some really off-color jokes that can be constructed, there (not including this one).
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
            There are some really off-color jokes that can be constructed, there (not including this one).
            Part of the lawsuit(s) was that they knew it was at least potentially cancer-causing, and shifted marketing towards women of color.

Talc itself I don't think is a carcinogen.

And yeah, I was trying to be delicate.

The company that ran the asbestos mine in Libby, MT (main product was vermiculite) hid the health effects for literally decades. It's a particular type of fibrous asbestos that is bad, so not all vermiculite is the problem.

They used vermiculite from the Libby mine as insulation blown into houses...as a soil conditioner, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Part of the lawsuit(s) was that they knew it was at least potentially cancer-causing, and shifted marketing towards women of color.

Talc itself I don't think is a carcinogen.

And yeah, I was trying to be delicate.

The company that ran the asbestos mine in Libby, MT (main product was vermiculite) hid the health effects for literally decades. It's a particular type of fibrous asbestos that is bad, so not all vermiculite is the problem.

They used vermiculite from the Libby mine as insulation blown into houses...as a soil conditioner, you name it.
              But at least none of that stuff caught on fire. Although I'm not sure what's worse, death by fire or by cancer. It amazes me how much crap has asbestos in it. It's like they had a deal similar to the current high fructose corn syrup deals.

Comment

Actually, I never really knew anything about asbestos until this thread. For example, I had no idea it was naturally occurring substance, I always assumed it was Evil American Man that created it and placed it school buildings mid-20th century; in reality, it's been in use by mankind for millennia.
                Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

A third of homes built in Australia contain asbestos material. You can imagine what happened in the 80s onwards when those homes were being renovated or the materials become frayed with age. Australia had the 2nd highest death rate after the UK caused by asbestos exposure.
                  "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

Comment

Now is the time they double down on it. Give it a few days and they'll have a whole new ad campaign to make people forget all about this. They're probably working on it as we speak.

I remember I argued that certain giant companies were just plain evil, I think this proves my point.
                      It's not "certain" giant companies, it's almost certainly most of them.

I'm not against industrial conglomerates or business in the slightest. The problem is that the more degrees of separation exist between people the easier it is to ignore or discount the possibile harmful effects of the things that each of us do.

Take the cannabis industry for example.

BHO stands for Butane Honey Oil. It's smokable cannabis extract made with butane extraction. I didn't do butane because I expected that it would be banned on the basis of it being toxic.

Because... it's fucking toxic.

All butane contains traces of Benzene and methacrolein that get concentrated in extract. Testing only looks at how much residual butane is in the extract, not at how much benzene is concentrated in the substance.

Many people start to feel nauseous after dabbing too much BHO. Not from the extract itself but from the "safe" amount of residual butane. It closely resembles the sickness people get from mild benzene poisoning.

The amount of benzene is directly correlated to how much butane was used in the extraction... and alot of that butane has been reused and reused until it's used up. Then they gas off the remaining detectable solvent in a vacuum oven. The extract acts like a sponge that soaks up all the chemical impurities from both the dry cannabis extraction material and the "Food grade" butane gas.

There are things that are safe to eat and not safe to smoke. We can agree on that, right? Popcorn lung comes to mind.

Now it might be small even in that amount but just how much do you think winds up in the body over time if they dab all day every day? And how permanent is the damage in that "allowable" amount of benzene in the product?

I'm not a biochemist but there's no fucking way I'd sell or consume the shit... and it's fucking everywhere. Plus, I don't trust these private labs for shit. They don't do adequate testing. A company can easily purge one sample longer and send a totally different lot that was unsampled or extracted separately to market.

Benzene is a birth defect inducing carcinogenic neurotoxin that is directly linked to Leukemia.

Methacrolein is also a birth defect inducing carcinogen.

I make concentrates but I only use CO2 out of basic human decency and despite the damage it would do to my industry, I think the CDC or FDA should regulate butane out of the industry. The shit just isn't safe for human consumption.
                      "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                        Now is the time they double down on it. Give it a few days and they'll have a whole new ad campaign to make people forget all about this. They're probably working on it as we speak.

It's not "certain" giant companies, it's almost certainly most of them.

I'm not against industrial conglomerates or business in the slightest. The problem is that the more degrees of separation exist between people the easier it is to ignore or discount the possibile harmful effects of the things that each of us do.

Take the cannabis industry for example.

BHO stands for Butane Honey Oil. It's smokable cannabis extract made with butane extraction. I didn't do butane because I expected that it would be banned on the basis of it being toxic.

Because... it's fucking toxic.

All butane contains traces of Benzene and methacrolein that get concentrated in extract. Testing only looks at how much residual butane is in the extract, not at how much benzene is concentrated in the substance.

Many people start to feel nauseous after dabbing too much BHO. Not from the extract itself but from the "safe" amount of residual butane. It closely resembles the sickness people get from mild benzene poisoning.

The amount of benzene is directly correlated to how much butane was used in the extraction... and alot of that butane has been reused and reused until it's used up. Then they gas off the remaining detectable solvent in a vacuum oven. The extract acts like a sponge that soaks up all the chemical impurities from both the dry cannabis extraction material and the "Food grade" butane gas.

There are things that are safe to eat and not safe to smoke. We can agree on that, right? Popcorn lung comes to mind.

Now it might be small even in that amount but just how much do you think winds up in the body over time if they dab all day every day? And how permanent is the damage in that "allowable" amount of benzene in the product?

I'm not a biochemist but there's no fucking way I'd sell or consume the shit... and it's fucking everywhere. Plus, I don't trust these private labs for shit. They don't do adequate testing. A company can easily purge one sample longer and send a totally different lot that was unsampled or extracted separately to market.

Benzene is a birth defect inducing carcinogenic neurotoxin that is directly linked to Leukemia.

Methacrolein is also a birth defect inducing carcinogen.

I make concentrates but I only use CO2 out of basic human decency and despite the damage it would do to my industry, I think the CDC or FDA should regulate butane out of the industry. The shit just isn't safe for human consumption.
                        You can make oil with grain alcohol, right? I remember reading something along those lines, a while back, and was actually considering giving it a shot, for edification (not for business, and mostly not for consumption).

Comment

Butane is just used in the extraction process. Had a mate make weed oil once and used a can of butane. Its cheaper and quicker but if i was going to do it id be using a very high percentage spirit, like that 98% vodka that you can sometimes find. Alcahol/ethanol extracts stuff good really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
                            You can make oil with grain alcohol, right? I remember reading something along those lines, a while back, and was actually considering giving it a shot, for edification (not for business, and mostly not for consumption).
                            Good for eating, not so good for smoking.

You can cook it out while you activate the THCa component into 11OHTCH

11OH THC will get you super high when you eat it, which is why edibles are stronger than smokables.

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
                              Butane is just used in the extraction process. Had a mate make weed oil once and used a can of butane. Its cheaper and quicker but if i was going to do it id be using a very high percentage spirit, like that 98% vodka that you can sometimes find. Alcahol/ethanol extracts stuff good really good.
                              Are you addressing me or sub?

It's good for certain applications, not so good for others.

I can write hours on the subject. One of them is that alcohol picks up large amounts of chlorophyll and to remove that you need to use activated carbon. To remove the excess alcohol to make it decent for smoking you have to expose the extract to heat for a significant time which degrades the quality of the extract.

What gray market and black markets do with extracts are seriously behind the curve regarding quality. Sure, they'll get you high but they taste and smoke like ass.

I consider it the difference between moonshine and good scotch.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X