Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Pittsburgh police confirms 'active shooter' at synagogue; multiple victims reported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've kind of wrestled with this in my mind for a long time. It's interesting to think of the idea of murder versus war. If you are in war, most of society believes that it is ok to kill people. But sometimes people's idea of what war is, is different than what others think. I've met people that live in sketchy areas that believe they are in war on the streets here in America. Gang warfare, street warfare, and things like that. They literally believe they are defending their life, family, and territory. Thus are justified to kill. Scale that up and make those territories into countries and it is happening all over the world where we are telling Americans that they can kill people for the same reason.

Change it to religious war. Where someone believes that their religion or freedom of religion is being attacked. So they kill for their God. Justified in their religious circle, sometimes legally. Now that may be their perception but not what the reality is. But does it matter when that person believes they are justified to kill for their religion? In war that is approved by the government, it's legal. But if it's not approved, it's illegal. But what if you believe that it's the government that makes these laws that is attacking you? Now the government's rule becomes less important than your own morality.

People believe that religion is a good way to control the masses and keep people from killing each other over some of these issues. You believe that God will punish you in eternity even if the law doesn't. But if there is no religion to hold you back, you think that you are defending yourself from the government, then you have nothing to keep you from murdering people. Obviously different from the instance where the religion IS the reason you are killing someone.

People find all kinds of reasons to kill people. And the law kind of weaves it's way through those reasons. Defending self and property legal. Defending religion illegal, unless being attacked and in fear of your life. But only to a certain degree. Defending family, but only from literally being attacked, not from having your health or house being attacked. But legal if it is a physical attack. Not legal if it is corporate attack. It gets grey enough to where people start to rationalize killing people, even if they have come to a conclusion that most reasonable people wouldn't have came to.

So how do we keep people from killing each other? That's the question.
    That is a good summary of the problem. It flows into some interesting research that is being done currently that essentially posits that PTSD(or at least many cases of it) may be from "moral wounds" suffered in combat or elsewhere. Essentially that a soldier/policeman whatever may be legitimately required to do something that while legal and moral in the eyes of society violates their personal moral code thus causing the conflict that eventually manifests as PTSD.

When you consider that people's personal moral codes will shift over their lifetime it makes PTSD even harder to predict.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Synagogue shooter was obsessed with Jewish refugee agency

Functionally mentally ill ?

https://www.apnews.com/33d4571da68d4b5cbcef8685c5e27f09
      Just moments before the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting that left 11 people dead, the suspect is believed to have posted a final social media rant against a Jewish refugee settlement agency most people had never heard of, but which has increasingly become the target of right-wing rage and conspiracy theories.

The group, formerly known as the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, was founded in 1881 in a Manhattan storefront to assist Jews persecuted in Russia and Eastern Europe. HIAS is now among nine groups that contract with the State Department to help refugees settle in the United States, and it has recently clashed with the Trump administration over policies that have throttled the flow of such newcomers.

HIAS
      https://www.hias.org/
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        Functionally mentally ill ?
        Is that the PC term for domestic right-wing terrorist?

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
          Is that the PC term for domestic right-wing terrorist?
          No, more like motivation/reason ?

I mean, he was "going in" despite "optics".

WTH was shooting up some Jews in a synagogue going to do to stop the supposed dangerous refugees from getting into the US ?

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

WTH was shooting up some Jews in a synagogue going to do to stop the supposed dangerous refugees from getting into the US ?
            Who knows?

May be he was sending a message to HIAS: "You bring invaders that kill our people, I kill your people as retribution so you better stop your genocide against white people if you want to live."

Comment

Who knows?

May be he was sending a message to HIAS: "You bring invaders that kill our people, I kill your people as retribution so you better stop your genocide against white people if you want to live."
              I imagine in person that even speaking English, I would have a difficulty following you, unless you toned down the sarcasm and unique Galician irony...

Comment

No, more like motivation/reason ?

I mean, he was "going in" despite "optics".

Yeah, I was wondering about that also. Who's optics was he referring to?
                Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                  Yeah, I was wondering about that also. Who's optics was he referring to?
                  yeah, I'm guessing whichever group of like-minded people he was hanging out with online and/or in person. Mostly online, I bet.

Imagine the discussion:
                  CrazyNazilarper1: Yeah, I've got all my gear ready, but, damn, I am hesitating, because of the bad publicity if I go ahead and go.
                  CrazyNazilarper2: Dude, I feel your pain. I'm itching to get busy, but, the optics would be horrible.
                  CrazyNazilarper3: I'm so frustrated with the situation. All those white people dying everyday because of immigrants ! But what can I do, I don't want to hurt the cause in the long run.

etc...

Comment

I imagine in person that even speaking English, I would have a difficulty following you, unless you toned down the sarcasm and unique Galician irony...
                    Let's say one of us, or both, suck at terrorist ways of thinking.

Comment

Let's say one of us, or both, suck at terrorist ways of thinking.
                      Thankfully...

Comment

I think people who are willing to murder innocent folks for some far-out cause are by definition mentally ill. And basically, sad, cowardly, little pieces of shit.

Comment

"Trump: “A Lot of People Say” George Soros Is Funding the Migrant Caravan"
                          https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...-soros-caravan

I wonder where these crazies get their ideas from?
                          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                          BILL HICKS,
                          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                            https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...-soros-caravan

I wonder where these crazies get their ideas from?
                            Not from Trump, he doesn't have enough imagination to come up with that. He got it from somewhere else.

Comment

Not from Trump, he doesn't have enough imagination to come up with that. He got it from somewhere else.
                              Of course, but he's giving it a yuuuuuge platform. Tremendous coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                                Of course, but he's giving it a yuuuuuge platform. Tremendous coverage.
                                Of course, he's basically a repeater station. Unless he is promoting himself, that shit is "original".

He's still working the marginal groups like a carney barker outside the freak show tent...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X