Nazi Legos invading Xmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nazi Legos invading Xmas

So is it fascist to try to ban a fascist themed toy??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-42325455

It seems to me the attempt was probably geared toward a WW2 toy and not to blitzkrieg the toy market. After all what good are the allied Lego knock offs without a Nazi to fight. The thought of someone bitching that this toy might be under a Xmas tree I find especially hilarious.

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    The thought of someone bitching that this toy might be under a Xmas tree I find especially hilarious.
    That is because your not being culturally sensitive to the German making the fuss in the article; where a company is making toys he believes represent of the darkest and most horrible phases of his countries history.

Maybe next year they will come out with the Auschwitz play set and you can suprise the kids.

Leave the old man alone.

Comment

Fucking expensive shit. The PzKpfw VI Tiger costs 229 €

Comment

For some strange reason Germany is really not into Nazism nor its symbolism and ideals. They were/are afraid of a social resurgence of the movements or the birth of Neo movements. The normalization of bigotry, racism and nationalism, they believe, leads to support of the those concepts, which leads to Politicians having those beliefs and then, they think, you will have people acting on those beliefs physically, legislatively and vocally.

Fucking crazy stuff.

I thought LEGO stayed away from real life military and war sets? I swear, that was like part of their mission statement or something. I will have to look into that later.
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Christmas Spirit View Post
          I thought LEGO stayed away from real life military and war sets? I swear, that was like part of their mission statement or something. I will have to look into that later.
          They used to make Wild West sets, which were basically 'Cowboys & Indians', complete with guns, cannons, etc.
          "Through the centuries, the Jews have endured terrible persecution, and you know that. We've all read it, studied it. They've gone through a lot. And those seeking their destruction, we will seek their destruction." -President Donald Trump, spewing his Nazi, racist, anti-Semitism.

Comment

Considering other stuff you can buy this is kinda overdoing it, yes.

BUT, the BBC article is correct in pointing out that there are figures (if you cared to look at the petition: there are GESTAPO figures and Waffen-SS officer figures, too) that have symbols on them which are forbidden to use in Germany outside arts and education. The black and silver iron cross (the Bundeswehr uses other colours, but the same symbol; the symbol with these colours is problematic, too) used in the picture is on top of that.

Using those as a German company on what may be seen as toys for children is... let's say they did not think it through.

As a German, I can understand that it is problematic if you can buy stuff like that, produced by a German company, in Germany. I know there's stuff much worse in the US, but that does not make it any better.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              They used to make Wild West sets, which were basically 'Cowboys & Indians', complete with guns, cannons, etc.
              Oh yeah remember those. I guess you could argue that Allies and Nazis is just as in the mind and the modern zeitgeist of the world as Cowboys and Indians... even as culturally insensitive, but for different reasons.
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                So is it fascist to try to ban a fascist themed toy??https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-42325455It seems to me the attempt was probably geared toward a WW2 toy and not to blitzkrieg the toy market. After all what good are the allied Lego knock offs without a Nazi to fight. The thought of someone bitching that this toy might be under a Xmas tree I find especially hilarious.
                Bnet picked up on a key part of this story that seems to have eluded some others, here.
                Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutcracker, sweet View Post
                  Bnet picked up on a key part of this story that seems to have eluded some others, here.
                  What if people were producing a LEGO plantation collection in the US.

Complete with Black lego characters in tattered garments and a white character with a wip...

They are just to go along with the founding fathers set though.

I'm sure that wouldn't rile anyone up at all.. nope.

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
                    What if people were producing a LEGO plantation collection in the US.

Complete with Black lego characters in tattered garments and a white character with a wip...

They are just to go along with the founding fathers set though.

I'm sure that wouldn't rile anyone up at all.. nope.
                    Holy Jesus. I... Never mind. You have 2 days, so I forgive you.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

I haz an excuse.

I only just now read the article. I knew Lego wouldn't go there ... these days.
                      BILL HICKS,
                      1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Holy Jesus. I... Never mind. You have 2 days, so I forgive you.
                        i got 2 days of what?

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
                          i got 2 days of what?
                          Internet. It's all over in 2 days.

Comment

The only problem is that it is not a key part of the story. The key part is the petition, of which the key part is a plea to take legal steps against that in general (towards Amazon and Lego respectively). This last sentence is not even included in the English version of the petition this guy wrote. How can it be a key part, really?

Apart from that, considering the usual commercial excess Xmas has become, stakes are high that it is now that (yes, even some retarded, fascist) parents are looking for stuff to form their childrens minds according to their own worldview.

It's not that I think he is assuming that any person in their right mind will consider these figures to be children's toys. Nevertheless, I think he is correct in thinking that a) it is not ok in general and b) there are enough idiots out there to ensure that it is a real possibility.

But yeah, this guy is far from being a genius in rhetorics (or probably anything, for that matter). Just dismissing context doesn't make it funny, though.

Comment

You know damn well they are going to slowly turn up the "fuck you" over time. It is just going to eat up more income and reduced the quality of the service provided.
                              BILL HICKS,
                              1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X