Voter ID - must have valid PosterID to post here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Be that as it may, it's a perfectly logical requirement to vote.
    Ihre papieren bitte.
    I am not completely against the idea, but they were being cunts about it. They weren't allowing government issued id. They are also trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Comment

Ihre papieren bitte.
      Just say Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
        You don't find it unreasonable yourself but others pushing for it make it bullshit because they're of a different political party.

Got it.

Just wanted to quote capture for posterity.
        No, I find it unreasonable when it's done specifically to keep people from voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          There were studies conducted in NC on which kinds of ID black voters likely to not have. Those were the only ones that the new laws would allow for voting...... True story. It was pretty systematic
          OK, so we're talking about NC specifically? I was hoping this would be a broader discussion.
          NC State ID requirements do not seem extreme: http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/id-cards.php. Can you help me understand what, there, is specifically excluding minorities?

(edit) I'm trying to learn about NC's voter id law. My understanding is that the NC welfare card doesn't enjoy the minimum scrutiny for identification that the NC state ID card does.
          It's not hard to get an NC state ID. You need a birth certificate (pretty easy, ask Obama (LOL couldn't resist)), proof of residence (a utility bill, perhaps), and an SSN (which is basically required at birth, these days - if you have a birth certificate, you have an SSN). And, you have to show up and have your picture taken. I'm struggling to understand how that excludes minorities.
          Last edited by submessenger; 9/07/2017 2:45pm, . Reason: replace target with exclude
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
            OK, so we're talking about NC specifically? I was hoping this would be a broader discussion.
            NC State ID requirements do not seem extreme: http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/id-cards.php. Can you help me understand what, there, is specifically targeting minorities?

The court found that all five restrictions “disproportionately affected African-Americans.” The law’s voter identification provision, for instance, “retained only those types of photo ID disproportionately held by whites and excluded those disproportionately held by African-Americans.”- NYT
            What aren't you understanding?

Also NC hasn't ever had 1 case of in person voter fraud. This law had nothing to do with fraud.

Comment

Why don't they just get state IDs? There appears to be no barrier, there, that would disproportionately affect any group.

Also NC hasn't ever had 1 case of in person voter fraud. This law had nothing to do with fraud.
              That has just about nothing to do with this. If the People of NC want something illegal, and can do so in a constitutional manner, it doesn't matter that nobody has ever transgressed the would-be law.

Now, the law was struck down on 5 points; voter ID was just one of them, I think some or all of the other 4 may have some merit, and I'm looking into that.
              (edit) scratch that, this discussion is about voter ID.
              Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

We are getting way off topic and the topic itself could be a wonderful thread in GenBS but here is a sample.
                “A lot of people don’t realize what it takes to obtain an ID without the proper identification and papers,” said Abbie Kamin, a lawyer who has worked with the Campaign Legal Center to help Texans obtain the proper identification to vote. “Many people will give up and not even bother trying to vote.”

A federal court in Texas found that 608,470 registered voters don’t have the forms of identification that the state now requires for voting. For example, residents can vote with their concealed-carry handgun licenses but not their state-issued student university IDs.

Across the country, about 11 percent of Americans do not have government-issued photo identification cards, such as a driver’s license or a passport, according to Wendy Weiser of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law.
                The article digs into the above specifics a little. .
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...972_story.html

The reality is that each of the 17 states which have voter ID laws seem to specifically target Democrats in poor and rural areas and are being pushed by Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                  We are getting way off topic and the topic itself could be a wonderful thread in GenBS but here is a sample.

The article digs into the above specifics a little. .
                  https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...972_story.html

The reality is that each of the 17 states which have voter ID laws seem to specifically target Democrats in poor and rural areas and are being pushed by Republicans.
                  OK, that's meat. Except, that's Texas, and I'm also disinclined to circumvent wapo paywall because not my argument.

(edit) CCP/CCW has a much more stringent set of requirements than student ID cards. For example, you can get a student ID card and still retain ID from your home state (i.e. you can theoretically vote in both places, were student id valid for voter id). Compare also non-resident DL (particularly important for military or mid- to long-term foreign visitors).

Comment

Usually can't buy beer or smokes with student ID either.

WA:
                    http://www.cherylslastcall.com/pdfs/...e-ID-Forms.pdf

HI:
                    http://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/bfs...Guide_2014.pdf

Racist!!!

Comment

Usually can't buy beer or smokes with student ID either.

WA:
                      http://www.cherylslastcall.com/pdfs/...e-ID-Forms.pdf

HI:
                      http://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/bfs...Guide_2014.pdf

Racist!!!
                      This one made me chuckle:
                      Originally posted by Washington
                      Any card that uses “resident”
                      in the title of the card is
                      unacceptable for cigarette
                      and alcohol purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                        I'm leaning towards culling the voter ID stuff to its own genbs thread. We have hardly said anything bad about Trump, today.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                          This one made me chuckle:
                          It's the weeed, maaaan.

Comment

Are you familiar with the Black Panthers?
                            This post should be eligible for double up-votes.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X