This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
    Have you lived in an elected region where one side or the other has a supermajority in the legislature and also has the executive office? I have, and it sucks. There is no honest discussion, only theater where the party in power does pretty much whatever it wants in the end. Sometimes what people do has less to do with the current issue and more to do with the feeling of powerlessness of not being listened to about anything.

I don't know that the issue in question is really worth the current drama. Then again, it's not strictly pertinent in a megathread in The Armory focused on the topic of gun control, either. Yet here I am, not tossing all these posts about it in trollshido. Absolutely magnanimous of me. Enjoy your table scraps, everyone of the wrong point of view. You're welcome.

See what I did there?

Edit: adjusted post to be more inclusive of non U.S. citizens

Comment

Efficiency in government is overrated. America is a Republic, not a Democracy. Our federal government is specifically designed to protect the minority from tyranny by the majority by allowing a minority to completely shut down the legislature on specific issues if they find it necessary. It is not perfect, but it does have some bright spots here and there.

Unfortunately, states generally have not implemented the filibuster and other procedural rules that allow the minority party to keep its voice. I see what these people are doing as a parallel to that. Have no fear, most likely this will cause Oregon to amend its Constitution or find some other way to change legislative rules so that the majority can just run the show how they want without input from the minority. Then they will learn to be good manufactured opposition and just provide token protests without interrupting progress. That way Oregon can become the next California, and all will be right in the world.
      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Efficiency in government is overrated. America is a Republic, not a Democracy. Our federal government is specifically designed to protect the minority from tyranny by the majority by allowing a minority to completely shut down the legislature on specific issues if they find it necessary. It is not perfect, but it does have some bright spots here and there.

Unfortunately, states generally have not implemented the filibuster and other procedural rules that allow the minority party to keep its voice. I see what these people are doing as a parallel to that. Have no fear, most likely this will cause Oregon to amend its Constitution or find some other way to change legislative rules so that the majority can just run the show how they want without input from the minority. Then they will learn to be good manufactured opposition and just provide token protests without interrupting progress. That way Oregon can become the next California, and all will be right in the world.
        Notice I didn’t say that a majority should ALWAYS prevail, or that the minority should NOT have input or sway in descisions. I have noproblem with specific changes too require higher a consensus among representatives, but if EVERY thing a government tried to accomplish falls apart because representative joe blow can flee the state nothing will ever get done.
        Last edited by lant3rn; 6/29/2019 5:31pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
          Notice I didn’t say that a majority should ALWAYS prevail, or that the minority should NOT have input or sway in descisions. I have noproblem with specific changes to require higher consensus among representatives, but if EVERY thing a government tried to accomplish falls apart because representative joe blow can flee the state nothing will ever get done.
          Getting little to nothing done should be about 90-95% of a legislature's job at the state and federal levels. Be disgusted from across the pond all you want, but I bet most if not all of these people get reelected by their constituents.

Comment

Getting little to nothing done should be about 90-95% of a legislature's job at the state and federal levels. Be disgusted from across the pond all you want, but I bet most if not all of these people get reelected by their constituents.

Comment

The problem is the huge divide between urban/suburban and rural people within the state, and the fact that with a democratic supermajority the rural people effectively don't have a political voice.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                The problem is the huge divide between urban/suburban and rural people within the state, and the fact that with a democratic supermajority the rural people effectively don't have a political voice.

Comment

Tell that to the unions and living min wage advocates, they sure seem to give voice to rural workers. Who is it you think votes blue in all the red states? Middle class workers. Just like a lot of the red votes in blue states like new York are businesspeople and Wall Street barons who don't want taxes.. The red rural, blue-city thing is an illusory perception based on the current electoral map. Just 3 years ago entire red States were blue, and I mean those big states in the north and Midwest that are mostly rural like Michigan. That's why they call em "battlegrounds". And all the gerrymandering in the future won't mean dick in Florida which will be so Latino in a few years, it probably won't ever go red again. Trump kind of made pissing on Hispanics his signature, so wait for the backlash in 2020 man,And don't forget your poporopo.
                  Last edited by Jefe616; 6/29/2019 9:08pm, .

Comment

^^^^^

Hello

Latest incarnation is wrong again.
                    Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                      ^^^^^

Hello

Latest incarnation is wrong again.
                      Who's trolling again? That's two posts youve drive-by sniped. Any reason you don't want to address the content of either of my first posts? You must have some emotional connection to the issue, sorry. But again nothing in my post was trolling or inflammatory at all, I was not even talking to you. Are you here to just start shit with new posters? How about you actually make an argument?

Comment

I think so but Oregon gop don't hate democracy but you have to face the facts bro, constituents matter. Politicians can't just do whatever they want, of they go against the public they get the boot. Goes for guns, drugs, soft on crime, you name it. There was yet another big protest battle in Portland on the same weekend Heather Heyers murderer was sentenced in charlottesville.. People want peace they are fed up with violent rhetoric and actions in the streets and they'll take whatever action, take guns, shut down protests when crazy people like antifa or PB show up. Name the poison, the answer is voter power, but never be surprised to see things go a bit too far. To vote is to exercise force, and force can be violent. Read that somewhere.

Comment

I let this go on for a page but it's wandered far enough now. Feel free to start a separate topic in a different forum.

All further posts not related to gun control go in trollshido.

Comment

You be the judge.

Comment

You be the judge.

There are millions of Dem voters in that big red block. Dem and indie voters in Oregon outnumber gop voters 2:1 across the state. Portland only has about 600,000 people, to the states 2,700,000+. If you do the math, clearly a lot of Indies are the ones making eastern Oregon a gop leaning district. But the gun problem in Oregon is an urban issue, and it's recent. So obviously the urban areas is going to lean blue, but I still don't see why anyone would equate that to state Dems not supporting rural zones. Clearly both Dems and hop have supporters all over, with some areas having certain pet issues (city - gun control). These red/blue maps are a big part of the problem...it's not that simple imo. Some areas just need more gun control (or as I sometimes call it, fun control). Common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                                Maybe should bust this into its own thread, but Cali is 2 weeks away from background checks on ammo purchases?!?!?! I totally missed that.

Goes into effect tomorrow I believe. This is what happens when "states rights" go the other way. The goal of the 2016 prop was to keep ammo out of the hands of convicts. Couple things to know are that if you're already registered in the Cali DOJ databases, I don't think you need a new check each time you pick up ammo. One and done. And I believe it's just a $1 per sale fee, not $10. There was a 3 week surge of ammo sales about 3 times the usual, including some people buying over 10,000 ROUNDS. That's a lot of fucking ammo. I do t get that part...if you're already a registered legal gun owner in Cali this law is barely more than an extra point of sale tax. One dollar. Not even worth the political fight the NRA etc is trying to field...waste of time, the measure passed by almost 65% of voters.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X