This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
    I think they've been armed since 2014, and while sworn officers of the law, they go through the abbreviated course that reserve officers undergo.
    I did not know that reserve officers could work unsupervised...

Interesting, apparently the Portland Police Bureau though...
    https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/526062

https://www.pdx.edu/cpso/campus-police

Looks to me like Oregon POST does not have any sort of "reserve officer training", that it is done locally in Oregon by individual agencies. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    https://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/docs/Ho...he.academy.pdf

Idaho, on the other hand...does have reserve officer training at POST.
    https://www.post.idaho.gov/certifica...ns.html#Patrol

https://www.pdx.edu/cpso/news/fox-12...ate-university

Sounds qualified to me...

https://www.oregonlive.com/education...new_polic.html
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I'm pretty sure Oregon does have an abbreviated reserve officer course. At least if the cops I used to work with are to be believed.

Comment

So, rather than treating the actual problem (training), they are going to just disarm them? They get what they deserve then. And good people won't work for them, so they will also get a bunch of fat mall cops sleeping in the bushes.
        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
          So, rather than treating the actual problem (training), they are going to just disarm them? They get what they deserve then. And good people won't work for them, so they will also get a bunch of fat mall cops sleeping in the bushes.
          Yep...their chief of police is an experienced officer, though.

We do not know the training they have gotten. I looked at the Oregon POST website(s) and could not find anything about a reserve officer program. I posted an document that supports the idea that it does not exist, outside of individual agencies with their own programs.

Idaho, on the other hand, has a definite POST academy reserve officer/deputy program.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I'm pretty sure Oregon does have an abbreviated reserve officer course. At least if the cops I used to work with are to be believed.
            You might want to check the links I posted to/from Oregon POST...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Yep...their chief of police is an experienced officer, though.

We do not know the training they have gotten. I looked at the Oregon POST website(s) and could not find anything about a reserve officer program. I posted an document that supports the idea that it does not exist, outside of individual agencies with their own programs.

Idaho, on the other hand, has a definite POST academy reserve officer/deputy program.
              Well, then the Chief should know better. Unless he is just there to collect a check before he retires.

It's not unheard of for police to have little to no training in some areas. There are departments I've seen that will put you on the road, in uniform, with a firearm BEFORE you go through the academy. Because they are so short staffed.
              Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Well, then the Chief should know better. Unless he is just there to collect a check before he retires.

It's not unheard of for police to have little to no training in some areas. There are departments I've seen that will put you on the road, in uniform, with a firearm BEFORE you go through the academy. Because they are so short staffed.
                Kind of self-defeating...

Comment

So here is video (and article) of the OIS between the university cops and the US Navy vet/USPS employee.

I suspect this is one reason it's illegal (misdemeanor) to carry concealed while legally intoxicated (in Idaho at least). And yeah, I've seen guys prosecuted for it here.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Body camera video from two campus police officers in Oregon shows they ordered a legally armed black man to drop a gun before opening fire, killing him.
                  Portland State University released the video Friday after Officers James Dewey and Shawn McKenzie were cleared of wrongdoing by a grand jury in the June 29 death of Jason Erik Washington, a 45-year-old Navy veteran and U.S. Postal Service employee who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

snip... this is just sad. The cops rolled up on a fight that wasn't even on the PSU campus. So much for the area swarming with regular Portland cops, eh ?
                  I'd say that policy might need to be changed.

A separate 397-page police report completed by the Portland Police Bureau, also released Friday, revealed the gun Washington had was not his, but belonged to his friend who had asked Washington to take it so he didn't make a "poor decision" in a drunken confrontation.

https://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...d=%5Bcub_id%5D

Comment

Oregon has no laws prohibiting concealed carry whilst under the influence.

Comment

Oregon has no laws prohibiting concealed carry whilst under the influence.
                      Thanks for the info. Doubt it stops many people here, either (it does me, though, for sure).

Too bad those guys felt it necessary in an area where cops swarm already. You'd think it was safe or something...

Comment

Thanks for the info. Doubt it stops many people here, either (it does me, though, for sure).

Too bad those guys felt it necessary in an area where cops swarm already. You'd think it was safe or something...
                        Some people just carry everywhere. I know I often do.

Comment

Some people just carry everywhere. I know I often do.
                          Me too, other than restricted places for carry, as listed in Idaho Code.

Comment

I never carry when I'm going to be drinking.
                            Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

I never carry when I'm going to be drinking.
                              Florida rule of thumb is you can go to a restaurant, but don't go to the bar. I only had a couple of occasions where I "accidentally" ended up in a drinking while carrying situation, thankfully those did not end badly - my friends in SoFl tended to talk up my past and training, which was never a good idea when imbibing with other assholes; I have only one brawl and 0 arrests to my name.
                              Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                                Florida rule of thumb is you can go to a restaurant, but don't go to the bar. I only had a couple of occasions where I "accidentally" ended up in a drinking while carrying situation, thankfully those did not end badly - my friends in SoFl tended to talk up my past and training, which was never a good idea when imbibing with other assholes; I have only one brawl and 0 arrests to my name.
                                790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
                                (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.
                                (2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.
                                (3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.
                                (4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
                                (5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.
                                History.—s. 1, ch. 91-84; s. 1210, ch. 97-102.
                                790.153 Tests for impairment or intoxication; right to refuse.—
                                (1)(a) Any person who uses a firearm within this state shall submit to an approved chemical or physical breath test to determine the alcoholic content of the blood and to a urine test to detect the presence of controlled substances, if there is probable cause to believe that the person was using a firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances or that the person is lawfully arrested for any offense allegedly committed while he or she was using a firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances.

12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
                                Being at the bar while carrying is illegal. It's not a rule of thumb. It's a rule of law.

You can actually carry drunk as a skunk and use your gun for defense and it's legal if the defense is legal.
                                The illegality of use of a gun while drunk applies to hunting and recreational use.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X