This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
    I guess I could call my congressman, but my congressman is Elijah Cummings, so I don't think that is going to do much to advance 2A issues.
    I phrased it as a safety/courtesy thing. ALso brought up how hunting suppressed is better for local wildlife. It probably won't do shit, but trying won't hurt. Even if you didn't vote for him, it's still his job to represent you.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
      I'll be over here hoping for de-regulation of suppressors.
      I agree, although I don't have much personal interest in them. But if you didn't have to jump through hoops, I might be...
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        I agree, although I don't have much personal interest in them. But if you didn't have to jump through hoops, I might be...
        Not even to hunt without earpro?

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
          Not even to hunt without earpro?
          I don't hunt with ear protection anyway, although I always wear it when doing plinking/target shooting.

Not sure how much suppression helps with a supersonic hunting round, anyway. Hunting big game with sub-sonic ammo is a non-starter, pretty much. Even my muzzleloader is supersonic with a hunting load.

However, for high volume shooting, like some bird hunting, or ground squirrel/ Prairie Dog hunting, it could be doable to some degree.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I phrased it as a safety/courtesy thing. ALso brought up how hunting suppressed is better for local wildlife. It probably won't do shit, but trying won't hurt. Even if you didn't vote for him, it's still his job to represent you.
            Maryland Congressional Districts are intentionally gerrymandered to keep it from being his job to represent me. It is his job to pay lip service to the 70+% of his district that keeps electing him (75% this time around). That electorate responded in a wildly positive manner to his gun control sit in stunt a few months, and he's made it clear he is not going to compromise on any 2A issues. I can call, but his nice staffer will very politely tell me to fuck off. Or I can save my phone calls for help with things I need, and not risk getting put on his staffers' naughty list where I might get ignored on life/livelihood threatening issues.

He has, in fact, made his plans for the next two years quite clear:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...118-story.html
            "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              I don't hunt with ear protection anyway, although I always wear it when doing plinking/target shooting.

Not sure how much suppression helps with a supersonic hunting round, anyway. Hunting big game with sub-sonic ammo is a non-starter, pretty much. Even my muzzleloader is supersonic with a hunting load.

However, for high volume shooting, like some bird hunting, or ground squirrel/ Prairie Dog hunting, it could be doable to some degree.
              It depends on what you're shooting and the quality of your suppressor, but you can typically expect about 20-30db or more in noise reduction from a good quality can. Some supersonic ammo will be right at the hearing safe boundary. Worse case scenario, you can typically go with much lighter ear pro than you normally would. Neighbors and folks who live near where you are hunting will really appreciate it too.

Personally I don't really have any serious use for a suppressor beyond plinking and maybe home defense, though I'd argue that it's still good to wear ear pro if you can afford the time it takes to put it on. Just because your gun is hearing safe doesn't mean everyone's will be.

That said, I really want a suppressor two or or ten. I am just not in an area where I can really take advantage of one, so I am more focused on building up my firearm collection.
              Last edited by Cassius; 11/22/2016 5:42pm, . Reason: Mistyped noise reduction stuff

Comment

It depends on what you're shooting and the quality of your suppressor, but you can typically expect about 20-30db or more in noise reduction from a good quality can. Some supersonic ammo will be right at the hearing safe boundary. Worse case scenario, you can typically go with much lighter ear pro than you normally would. Neighbors and folks who live near where you are hunting will really appreciate it too.

Personally I don't really have any serious use for a suppressor beyond plinking and maybe home defense, though I'd argue that it's still good to wear ear pro if you can afford the time it takes to put it on. Just because your gun is hearing safe doesn't mean everyone's will be.

That said, I really want a suppressor two or or ten. I am just not in an area where I can really take advantage of one, so I am more focused on building up my firearm collection.
                Sounds like it could be worth it for higher volume shooting. I hunt in rural areas full of deplorables who can't hear anyway, LOL!

Seriously, on opening day of rifle deer/elk season, it sounds like WW3, plus, the duck/goose hunters in the valley sound like batteries of AA in a WW2 movie...

Comment

Good on you.

It's already legal to hunt with suppressed firearms in my state. What I want is for the process of purchasing a suppressor to be the same as the process of purchasing a pistol.

Comment

I phrased it as a safety/courtesy thing.
                    i did as well, plus i brought up that this was an actual piece of common sense firearms legislation, and an opportunity for him to show that he is above partisan politics. of course it's jerry nadler i'm talking about so he'll ignore me.
                    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

A suppressed bolt action .22 rifle, paired with a good set of night vision goggles is a hell of a survival tool for the zombie apocalypse. You can sneak up and kill the neighbor's chickens and such at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                        Good on you.

It's already legal to hunt with suppressed firearms in my state. What I want is for the process of purchasing a suppressor to be the same as the process of purchasing a pistol.
                        If this does happen, integrally suppressed weapons are going to be the Next Big Thing(tm). I really hope this happens.

Comment

If this does happen, integrally suppressed weapons are going to be the Next Big Thing(tm). I really hope this happens.
                          Integrally suppressed weapons and barrels would be amazing. The silencerco integrally suppressed 9mm looks amazing. Imagine what amazing r&d would happen if the NFA fart cloud's stench didn't keep most manufacturers from even touching that line of research.

Comment

Integrally suppressed weapons and barrels would be amazing. The silencerco integrally suppressed 9mm looks amazing. Imagine what amazing r&d would happen if the NFA fart cloud's stench didn't keep most manufacturers from even touching that line of research.
                            I just want a solid Welrod repro.

Comment

My wish would be for them to start manufacturing De Lisle carbines for the civilian market. Factory .45 ACP is a bit expensive, but other than that it seems like it would be a really good firearm for teaching fundamentals of marksmanship to new shooters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine
                              Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
                                My wish would be for them to start manufacturing De Lisle carbines for the civilian market. Factory .45 ACP is a bit expensive, but other than that it seems like it would be a really good firearm for teaching fundamentals of marksmanship to new shooters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine
                                I would also be okay with this. a .300 Blackout version would be cool too.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X