Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great Gun Control Debate Megathread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    If I recall correctly, it was because they were worried about firearms getting stolen while residents were not in their home, due to the evacuation.

    This is what you get (or one of the things) when you have a national police force like the RCMP. Mounties have jurisdiction anywhere in Canada. How do I know ? I asked one of my RCMP friends a few years ago. He didn't have to be on duty, could be on vacation and act as LEO whenever/whereever he wanted, etc.
    Funny, my friends confiscate my beer all the time for exactly the same reason. AFAIK you aren't wrong on jurisdiction, but there has also been a gradual shift to outsourcing local law enforcement to the RCMP nationwide, and with a few exceptions Alberta has mostly RCMP. Originally everybody thought it would be a great way to cut costs, but some places have been burnt pretty bad; all of this outsourcing has put a strain on resources, which means smaller municipalities might get little to virtually no police presence, and by the time they figure out they're getting screwed they've got no money left to revert to a local police force.

    Comment


      Originally posted by DARPAChief View Post
      Funny, my friends confiscate my beer all the time for exactly the same reason. AFAIK you aren't wrong on jurisdiction, but there has also been a gradual shift to outsourcing local law enforcement to the RCMP nationwide, and with a few exceptions Alberta has mostly RCMP. Originally everybody thought it would be a great way to cut costs, but some places have been burnt pretty bad; all of this outsourcing has put a strain on resources, which means smaller municipalities might get little to virtually no police presence, and by the time they figure out they're getting screwed they've got no money left to revert to a local police force.
      I live just south of the Kootenay Region of BC...
      I did a quick interwebz survey, and only Nelson, BC has it's own police department. Cranbrook, Creston, Castlegar, Golden, Fernie, all RCMP detachments.

      Most of BC is rural outside of the lower mainland anyway...
      Falling for Judo since 1980

      "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

      "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

      "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

      Comment


        Wow, even Kelowna, Kamloops and Vernon don't have their own police. Kelowna is 100K+ people.

        Comment


          Originally posted by NeilG View Post
          Wow, even Kelowna, Kamloops and Vernon don't have their own police. Kelowna is 100K+ people.
          Yeah, I'm surprised at that, I did not go that far west of the Kootenays.

          Prince George does not have it's own police force, either...
          Falling for Judo since 1980

          "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

          "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

          "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

          Comment


            http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/s...guns-1.3770769

            Farmers in Sask. take up arms as harvest continues

            A recent attempted armed robbery on a rural road in west-central Saskatchewan has struck fear into the hearts of farmers in the area, and some are now carrying firearms to protect themselves.

            It happened yesterday south of Fiske, Sask., about 146 kilometres southwest of Saskatoon.

            "Yesterday was eventful," said an area farmer, who sent CBC a photo of the hunting rifle he now keeps in the cab of his combine. The farmer requested to remain anonymous.

            "I guarantee you everyone is carrying out here now."


            I am shocked and appalled. Fucking Tapco...oh no wait, that's Promag. But I'm still appalled.
            Last edited by DARPAChief; 9/20/2016 10:51pm, .

            Comment


              Who all is buying ammo tonight?
              "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

              Comment


                Or investing in the stock market?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Cassius View Post
                  Who all is buying ammo tonight?
                  I should have enough to get from my house to either of the closest gun stores. Especially .22lr, I have a couple thousand rounds of that (I really need to get one of those AR .22lr kits). If not, I'll send my wife to borrow a cup of bullets from one of the neighbors.
                  Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

                  Comment


                    Funny story, Cassius feel free to chastise me, but this is "gun control," related, loosely.


                    Sunday evening, my wife said "I put all the bullets into the large rabbit cookie jar." I wish I could have seen the look on my face. I didn't ask for clarification, I was purely bewildered. She knows I have guns, but the kids don't (yet). I have a lot of bullets, and even my wife doesn't know where they all are. Plus, I keep all gun stuff locked up, save for what I'm carrying at the time.





                    I forgot for a moment that we sequester the kids' Nerf bullets when they are not using them, because we're cheapskates and don't want to have to continually replenish the supply.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

                    Comment


                      Well, ****. What am I going to do with all of this ammunition now that I don't have to worry about prices skyrocketing and availability plummeting?

                      J/K I am going to have some epic range days when I have time to go.
                      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Cassius View Post
                        Well, ****. What am I going to do with all of this ammunition now that I don't have to worry about prices skyrocketing and availability plummeting?

                        J/K I am going to have some epic range days when I have time to go.
                        Machine guns for errybody!!11

                        Comment


                          Yeah, I was laughing my ass off. I was watching all of the websites saying "OMG, buy your gun shit now"




                          I was hoping it would be Y2K all over again and I got my wish. Still, you can never have too much ammunition in my eyes.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                            Yeah, I was laughing my ass off. I was watching all of the websites saying "OMG, buy your gun shit now"




                            I was hoping it would be Y2K all over again and I got my wish. Still, you can never have too much ammunition in my eyes.
                            I won't even pretend I thought Trump was going to win. I knew it would be tight but I figured the Wicked Witch would pull it out.

                            I came seriously close to buying about $10K worth of Magpul magazines as an investment. I'm glad I didn't go through with that.

                            Comment


                              I did in the last three weeks. I was telling people to pack up that smugness because everything shaded the way Bush vs. Gore did. Insurmountable lead, intolerable arrogance, attack ads and ignoring the angry majority. Oh and the divisiveness over a shitty Quarterback didn't help either. I was asked on election day and ridiculed when I said "I will not be surprised if trump wins."

                              Yeah, can't wait to see my coworkers tomorrow.

                              Comment


                                I was certain the polls were shit. I didn't know if reality would be in his favor but I knew the polls were garbage.

                                How, at the end of this long election cycle do you have polls that show her up by 7 one week, then him up by 2 the next week, then her back up the next week? There's no fucking way in hell you have that many undecided voters wavering back and forth. People knew who they were going to vote for. So the back and forth numbers from the same polls told me everything I needed to know about reliability of the polls.

                                The media and the pollsters presented it as if public opinion was swinging wildly each week based on every new news story bashing one of the candidates. Nah, man.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X